MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

Looking at Google maps, I think the placement of the stadium, when taken together with the entertainment/convention space area the Magic are looking at, and perhaps a new police station somewhere close by, will do a lot to alleviate the look of desolation the area has now. It also is within a walk from the "Creative Village" and the Sheraton remodel if one considers it a walk from S. Orange along Church/Pine/Central. Also I don't really see all that much residential in that area, except for City View.

Once someone figures out how to connect the city scape under I-4, I would think it will only help. Maybe even get the old Church street exchange occupied again.

What better place would you put an 18-25k open air stadium? Unless you wanted to tear a bunch of existing and occupied buildings near Eola ($$$) and take out several streets with it I don't see where it could be done. The land it is going on now is basically all unoccupied except for the Church.

Perhaps just north of the Rida block, or as a part of the Creative Village complex (which does anyone have any idea when this thing is going to go vertical?).

I'm not saying that I don't wish the best for Parramore.  All I'm saying is that I don't think it is the best location to lure in new fans and I hardly think it is going to ignite to long awaited Parramore gentrification.  If anything, I think it will encourage soccer fans to drive into downtown, park as close to the stadium as possible, and drive out afterward.

Perhaps just north of the Rida block, or as a part of the Creative Village complex (which does anyone have any idea when this thing is going to go vertical?).

I'm not saying that I don't wish the best for Parramore.  All I'm saying is that I don't think it is the best location to lure in new fans and I hardly think it is going to ignite to long awaited Parramore gentrification.  If anything, I think it will encourage soccer fans to drive into downtown, park as close to the stadium as possible, and drive out afterward.

Yes, let's put it near the Creative Village complex... ya know... which is only being created on the site of a failed stadium plan.

The location is perfect.  One block away from the Amway.  The Milk District?!  I love the area, but would putting a stadium there promote anything of use?  Even with the broadest possible definition of downtown, that is no where near.  

Sure, the stadium is going to be the farthest west part of downtown... but let's look...

Adjacent - City View

1 Block - Amway Center; Magic Entertainment

2 Blocks - Church St Station

2.5 Blocks - 55 West

3 Blocks - Solaire; The Plaza; Orange Ave

4 Blocks - DPAC; Wall St; History Center

To be able to put a stadium THAT close to things... that's an unqualified success.  The Supporters will march from those residences/restaurants pregame to the stadium and then back afterwards.  That's what soccer fans do.

Also, a soccer stadium isn't going to bring about the retail that people here so desperately want.  And we need to be honest, by and large, the main retail we are missing is a CVS/Walgreens.

I still don't understand how there isn't a CVS/Walgreens in Uptown. Good lord, I feel for y'all over there. A million residential units and all you got is muggy 7-11, vending machines in the Marriott, and mama b's tuna subs!!! LOL! sucks!   Just clear out the 1st floor like down at The District. Who the hell wants a 1st floor residential unit on Orange anyway? But, y'all can keep driving everywhere in the meantime for a gallon of milk and tp.

• Like 1

I don't mind the location.  Honestly, i think it really builds a vibe on Church St when the Magic have a home game.  Couple this with MLS and we should see some activity in one condensed are (an Orlando first).  I think putting all in one place is a great idea.  

But I do agree that it would be nice if we had some private investment in the immediate area.  If you compare this with the proposal for Detroit (YES DETROIT), you would have to wonder how we got a team first.  

I dont mind the area as well. But I think it will be better if it can go a block or two west toward the Citrus bowl, so the three venues will be symmetric, lol. Instead of planning block by block...they should draw up a plan surronding the stadium and start market it. With these venues downtown, I would like to see the city spend some money to build a world class museum in the Paramorre area. The cost for Dali museum is 30 mills....everybody please pitch in...

• Like 1

I dont mind the area as well. But I think it will be better if it can go a block or two west toward the Citrus bowl, so the three venues will be symmetric, lol. Instead of planning block by block...they should draw up a plan surronding the stadium and start market it. With these venues downtown, I would like to see the city spend some money to build a world class museum in the Paramorre area. The cost for Dali museum is 30 mills....everybody please pitch in...

I like the idea of a museum, but I think specialized idea would be more succesful (we already have an art museum and the Morse museum).  How about linking into what the rest of the world already associates us with and opening a Amusement Park History museum - with "artifacts", monuments, themes and interactive areas regarding the past, present and history of theme parks around the world?  The Orange County History Center's most popular events are the ones where they show off old costumes and items from the original Halloween Horror Nights and other Universal events, and Barnum and Bailey have made a destination out of their circus mueseum in Sarasota.  This would bring outsiders downtown (tourists, locals, school trips), provide another non-alcohol related activity, and the opportunity to design a truly unique structure downtown (I'm thinking more of the Church street/parramore area here). Who wouldn't want to see some of the old Disney/Universal/Sea World artifacts (I know they still have one of the submarines from 2000 Leagues Under the Sea rusting away back behind the Magic Kingdom, bits of the Jaws ride, etc), not to mention cars/floats/signs from amusement parks all over the country or world?  Call me crazy, but I think it would work - particularly in Orando. 

• Like 3

I like the idea of a museum, but I think specialized idea would be more succesful (we already have an art museum and the Morse museum).  How about linking into what the rest of the world already associates us with and opening a Amusement Park History museum - with "artifacts", monuments, themes and interactive areas regarding the past, present and history of theme parks around the world?  The Orange County History Center's most popular events are the ones where they show off old costumes and items from the original Halloween Horror Nights and other Universal events, and Barnum and Bailey have made a destination out of their circus mueseum in Sarasota.  This would bring outsiders downtown (tourists, locals, school trips), provide another non-alcohol related activity, and the opportunity to design a truly unique structure downtown (I'm thinking more of the Church street/parramore area here). Who wouldn't want to see some of the old Disney/Universal/Sea World artifacts (I know they still have one of the submarines from 2000 Leagues Under the Sea rusting away back behind the Magic Kingdom, bits of the Jaws ride, etc), not to mention cars/floats/signs from amusement parks all over the country or world?  Call me crazy, but I think it would work - particularly in Orando. 

I thought about this same thing...it's a fantastic idea! One idea I though of was having small theaters where you could experience attractions that have been taken down. This would have to be worked out with Disney, but it would be cool to sit through Horizons again in a theater setting with quality video footage, if it exists. There are fan videos of it on youtube, but I have to think Disney probably made some serious archival footage of it and other rides before they took them down. They could also re-create some of the entire rooms from those rides and allow people to walk through them.

• Like 1

I've long thought we need more local theme park focus in our museums. The History Center does it right but the others could definitely use more. I was at a community meeting with the director of OMA early last year. At the meeting I asked what OMA was doing to.help preserve the Art associated with our largest local industry, tourism. His reply was "nothing" and then went on talking about working with hospitals, schools and all the other industries here. That answer really bothered me. Why isn't the artistic side of theme parks, one of the big reasons we have so many artists here, celebrated more. Heck even Polk County has figured this out with its phosphate museum- you should celebrate what people know about you and it will attract them to discover more about you. Imagine an Art of Disney World Dark Rides exhibit at OMA or a science behind roller coasters exhibit at OSC. Stop pretending that Orlando isn't about theme parks and embrace them more.

• Like 1

I love the Dali museum... one of Florida's little known gems.

Actually there IS a museum in Parramore, albeit a very small one with seemingly limited hours; the Wells Build Museum. I was checking out the Parramore area during the Amway construction a few years ago and discovered the museum, however, it was CLOSED in the middle of the afternoon. I tried 2 more times after that and each time it was CLOSED during the day. There was a sign on the door which stated they do accept appointments, but I felt like an appointment would buzz kill the experience so I never followed up. If the city were to plop a museum down in that area, they should try to build one that compliments the existing establishment IMO.

Wasn't there a plan awhile back to move other historic Parramore buildings to the Wells Built property and then connect them into a larger museum? I asked the Commissioner Lynum about the plans awhile back about funding for the museum and all she had to say was any larger projects at the museum are likely years away still. Funding is the big issue with most of the museums here. I know there was some talk over the summer about including area museums in the allowable uses if the tourist generated taxes. With plenty of sports venues using the funding I do have to wonder where the tax will go next.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been told that area is just out of the Executive flight paths so theoretically they could be much taller.

Whatcha thinkin?

I personally am hoping the new soccer stadium helps us siphon off some of the South Florida Brazilian condo market, a few new really tall condo towers could do a lot of good in Parramore.

What kind of businesses do you guys think would thrive immediately on Church Street area surrounding the stadium. I know there are some in CityView building (restaurants/pizza shops) but they don't look like they do too well other than during the Magic games. I'm thinking about opening something up and wanted feedback.

Thanks!

I've been told that area is just out of the Executive flight paths so theoretically they could be much taller.

Whatcha thinkin?

I personally am hoping the new soccer stadium helps us siphon off some of the South Florida Brazilian condo market, a few new really tall condo towers could do a lot of good in Parramore.

I'm thinking a large hotel development adjacent to the soccer stadium / entertainment complex.  

Since it is nearly impossible to push upward density toward Thornton Park, Parramore would seem like the logical direction to go UP.

• Like 1

What kind of businesses do you guys think would thrive immediately on Church Street area surrounding the stadium. I know there are some in CityView building (restaurants/pizza shops) but they don't look like they do too well other than during the Magic games. I'm thinking about opening something up and wanted feedback.

Thanks!

When the stadium opens up a soccer pub would do well I assume, since the only one downtown I really know if is Harp and Celt and that is quite a way from the stadium. People are going to want to  have different places to watch away games and what not. That's the only thing i could think of.

Does anyone know if that Church is actually ever used for service's at the corner of Church and Terry?

When the stadium opens up a soccer pub would do well I assume, since the only one downtown I really know if is Harp and Celt and that is quite a way from the stadium. People are going to want to  have different places to watch away games and what not. That's the only thing i could think of.

Does anyone know if that Church is actually ever used for service's at the corner of Church and Terry?

Thanks for the feedback.

The problem I have with bar/pub is that it would only be busy during games/events. Draft (on corner of Church and Hughey seems to be only live during games/concerts.

There are currently 34 MLS games a season assuming half would be at home, that business would only be busy 17 days of the year. They are looking to reduce MLS season to 28 according to an article I read which would bring it down to about 14. I know other events will be taking place year round but I don't think it would be to the same capacity as the actual MLS games.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-mls-stadium-church-condemned-20140122,0,6803055.story

Looks like they are condemning the church and pushing for eminent domain. Church owner could have gambled away 700k if the judge determines the FMV to be 695k after having rejected a handsome offer of 1.5 million. I'm thinking Church is playing hardball and will look to squeeze another 200-300k as time is on their side. Can't believe they tried to counter by asking for 35 million. They can easily buy land for 350-500k and use the rest to build a brand new church of their liking.

How long does eminent domain take on average after the property has been condemned for the judge to make the final order?

Edited by OrlandoMagicTigers

Something tells me that the Church will backdown.  They are entirely unreasonable and if taken by eminent domain, they will end up with even less than the city has to offer.

Was pretty crazy they countered with 35 million. They should have kept it at something reasonable around 2-2.5 million. Half of the comments on this story are now showing less sympathy for the church for throwing out the 35mill number and calling them greedy. A lot of people are against use of eminent domain in this situation as building the stadium is more in the interest of the Owner/MLS more than 'public good'. Personally, I think it will make Downtown Orlando more safer on this side of I4 as this is a HUGE development. Also the amount of jobs not only in construction but future jobs at the stadium is for 'public good'?.

• Like 1