MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

• 2 months later...

article-2587584-1C873B3600000578-27_964x

This is David Beckham arena....I can only hope Orlando version will be half as good as that...

Here are more renderings

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2587584/EXCLUSIVE-First-pictures-Beckhams-planned-stadium-new-Miami-MLS-side.html

Looks pretty sweet. I'm surprised ours hasn't been leaked yet.. when do they plan to break ground?

Ours hasn't leaked because they're hoping to get the extra $20 mil (rebates) from the state. The pictures they showed the city council were "ideas", but at $88-$100 mil, I wouldn't expect anything over the top. Until that is all secured I wouldn't expect a rendering or groundbreaking. I wouldn't be shocked if all of Orlando City's 2015 season is played at the new Citrus Bowl and the new stadium opens in 2016.

That being said, the Miami concpet is a dream, at best. They don't have any funding in place yet.

Edited by HometownHero
  • Like 1

Our stadium will be a little more blue collar, that looks like a caribbean beach resort. I'm sure Populous is coming up with something good, there's already been two decent rendering put out by other architects that have been scratched by Orlando City, and Populous' Soccer Specific Stadium teams are much better than those that did the arena.

These rendering for Miami are the first, and not final we can assume. Obviously the water and boat docks adds the the prestige of their stadium, but last time I checked boaters, fish and water don't watch soccer...

It's not like our ownership doesn't have the money to build something like that.  But, let's be realistic...look where it's going.  Miami's is at the Port of Miami on the water.  Ours, is in Miami's equivalent of an area like Carol City or Liberty City.

Does the Miami proposal have legs?  That seems like a logistically challenging and expensive location for a stadium.  I'd imagine that a soccer stadium would get a lot of foot traffic given the demographic of soccer fans out there.  I cannot remember a time when I've seen pedestrians traversing the Rickenbacker Causeway, willingly.  Let's also assume that one way in/out of a stadium would cause huge traffic issues on an already clogged artery.

The upside to this proposal is that it could potentially spawn the overdue need for a metro link to South Beach.

Does the Miami proposal have legs?  That seems like a logistically challenging and expensive location for a stadium.  I'd imagine that a soccer stadium would get a lot of foot traffic given the demographic of soccer fans out there.  I cannot remember a time when I've seen pedestrians traversing the Rickenbacker Causeway, willingly.  Let's also assume that one way in/out of a stadium would cause huge traffic issues on an already clogged artery.

The upside to this proposal is that it could potentially spawn the overdue need for a metro link to South Beach.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your point, the Miami proposal is on Port of Miami which connects to downtown Miami- you don't need to get on the Rickenbacker.  Unless you are referring to Miami Beach stadium goers coming back to the mainland for a game.

^Wrong bridge -- sorry for the confusion.  The point remains though; this is a difficult location for a pedestrian.

I agree.  there's only one in and one way out onto the island.  imagine a game being played while patrons are arriving or leaving for a cruise- or cruises;

They would need to extend Metromover over to the island I think.

It's not like our ownership doesn't have the money to build something like that.  But, let's be realistic...look where it's going.  Miami's is at the Port of Miami on the water.  Ours, is in Miami's equivalent of an area like Carol City or Liberty City.

I'd rather the ownership keep as much money as possible for player contracts.  I would MUCH MUCH rather have a serviceable stadium with a good team than the best stadium in the world with the MLS equivalent of the Colorado Rockies playing there.  There is not a more burning misery in the world for a team's fan than to go to a gorgeous, beautiful, destination stadium and watch as your team perversely turns early compliments about the venue like "It's so gorgeous I'd go there just to watch the grass grow" into gut wrenching descriptions of the reality of everyone sitting in the stands.  

If the team attracts and keeps fans the number of people showing up for the games and sprinkling their money in the surrounding area will be immeasurably more valuable than a trophy stadium with nothing to see inside. 

• Like 1

I'd rather the ownership keep as much money as possible for player contracts.  I would MUCH MUCH rather have a serviceable stadium with a good team than the best stadium in the world with the MLS equivalent of the Colorado Rockies playing there.  There is not a more burning misery in the world for a team's fan than to go to a gorgeous, beautiful, destination stadium and watch as your team perversely turns early compliments about the venue like "It's so gorgeous I'd go there just to watch the grass grow" into gut wrenching descriptions of the reality of everyone sitting in the stands.  

If the team attracts and keeps fans the number of people showing up for the games and sprinkling their money in the surrounding area will be immeasurably more valuable than a trophy stadium with nothing to see inside. 

You are totally right. Look at Magic games now, "supposedly" the nicest arena in the world but the atmosphere at games is beyond weak. Most of the people who go to games are Foreigners. But why do 80,000-100,000 people pack crappy old College stadiums in small towns across America every year? The atmosphere, it's now about how good the concessions are, or how many TV's are in the concourse, or if there's 30 different bars. What makes sports is game day atmosphere, not the view from the stadium, or if you can park your yacht outside. Look at Orlando City this season, we play out in the middle of nowhere at Disney's ESPN complex 20 minutes from downtown without traffic, have a controlled tailgate with no grills, mainly everyone stands/sits on added bleachers that wobble, not the best of stadiums but it works.The thing that makes it an awesome experience though is the atmosphere at games. Check out some video's of last weeks match and look and listen to the fans.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrCHG9q2F2U57_QSEKHWvIQ

Plus, Miami's deal is far from done.. Its already hitting snag after snag. They'll probably end up in the suburbs like the Dolphins for all we know.

http://pagesix.com/2014/03/11/david-beckhams-plan-to-bring-soccer-team-to-miami-hits-a-snag/

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/04/beckhams-proposed-stadium.html

The atmosphere of the stadium really doesn't have much to do with an elaborate design. You can have a phenomenal atmosphere in old stadiums. We had great atmosphere at the Citrus Bowl, but it was the people that made that happen, not the building. The only thing that would've made it better would be a smaller design, which we're getting with the new stadium. I personally don't care much if it's surrounded by palm trees and has a citrus grove in it, as long as the final design has a roof covering all the fans. 

The current design calls for an open end on the south side, with a party deck located there instead of seating. Not really a fan of what that sounds like, but it's also supposed to be below street level slightly because they want the steepest rake they can get. Should be interesting. I just want to see the damn renderings already.

Possible latest/final rendering for OCS stadium?

Channel 9 has been running a story that featured a photo posted to Twitter by team owner Flavio Augusto da Silva showing he & team president Phil Rawlins celebrating after learning that the state has agreed to provide funding for the stadium. In front of them on a table is what appears to be a rendering of the stadium. When asked by channel 9, they would neither confirm nor deny, saying "maybe".

The pic is a screenshot I took from a video taken from my TV screen, so the quality leaves a lot to be desired, but you can get a fair idea of what the thing may look like.

ocsrend.jpg

Pretty underwhelming from what I can see.

Maybe this is a pic of some other stadium.

Let's hope.