MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

Being reported on channel 9 this evening:

Board members call Orlando City Soccer stadium designs 'underwhelming'

Orlando - Channel 9 has learned there are some big concerns from architects and design experts about plans for Orlando's new Major League Soccer stadium.

WFTV's Lori Brown has been going through a recording of an advisory board meeting where experts had strong words for the Orlando City Soccer architect.

Hours after the ceremonial groundbreaking, three board members said they were disappointed and underwhelmed with the design of the stadium.

"I was really disappointed when I looked at it, because I thought we had a really nice opportunity to make a statement," said Mike Beale, vice chair of Bishopbeale.

Another board member thought the plans fell short when compared to the quality of the Dr. Phillips Center and the Citrus Bowl.

Rest of article here: http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/board-members-call-orlando-city-soccer-stadium-des/nhxMG/

I don't really mind that it doesn't look like a spaceship, or some piece of modern art sculpture, which is what I think a lot of people would like to see.

I'm just glad to see in the new rendering, that it looks substantial at ground level. That there is an actual building around the entire base & it's not just grandstands coming up out of the ground, reminiscent of the old Tangerine Bowl.

I think that, given it's location & that it's not in the central downtown core, as in right on Orange Avenue, that it looks decent enough for that part of downtown.

Honestly, I've seen some overly flamboyant soccer stadium designs that I am glad these folks didn't attempt to emulate. It's a nice, basic design that I'm sure when finished, will look just fine from the street.

• Like 1

Exactly...it's utterly ridiculous comparing this to Amway Center and DPAC, venues costing 4 times as much. Look at other MLS soccer stadiums around the country. Almost every one is utilitarian. I think ours looks pretty good actually for what we are paying given they are constructing with concrete rather than steel for the structure. What the heck was the guy in the video talking about mass of steel everywhere? You want to see a mass of steel? Look at San Jose's new stadium...the steel structure dominates the exterior. It looks like Brighthouse Stadium. Ours is at least a few nicely angled slabs of concrete. The minimal design looks good.

The renderings look a bit drab - very gray. Never hurts to make improvements, and hopefully the harsh response from the design review board will get the designers to jazz it up significantly. I also hope they consider street level interaction. I think that's important, as well. Hard to tell from the renderings how it would feel from the perspective of a pedestrian. 

Maybe you have to be a soccer fan to get it, but I'm not sure why this rotating lion thing is mentioned every time you talk to an OCSC fan. 

I think of Vacation every time I hear it talked about.  "Sorry folks, park's closed. Moose out front shoulda told ya!"

That said, it seems like a nice enough place to me.  Odds are that I'll probably never go, as soccer bores me to tears, but it looks crisp and clean.  It looks like a place where the fans will have a great time enjoying their team.

I think the rotating lion idea is a great testament to the ownership of this team, and what they are trying to do.  They are trying to engage the community and build traditions in really incredible ways: if every organization in Orlando shared this duty to civic boosterism, it would be AMAZING.  Sure, the lion thing sounds a bit goofy on the surface, but it will be uniquely Orlando, and give our fans a piece of lore to rally around.  It's brilliant.  

As for the stadium design, I agree that it strikes me as a pretty good balance to provide a really good fan experience at the budget that they had to work with.  The quality of the renderings provided here on 10/31 look a little extra drab, but I think that is the fault of these particular renderings, not necessarily the actual design.  

• Like 1

The renderings look a bit drab - very gray. Never hurts to make improvements, and hopefully the harsh response from the design review board will get the designers to jazz it up significantly. I also hope they consider street level interaction. I think that's important, as well. Hard to tell from the renderings how it would feel from the perspective of a pedestrian.

I think by "renderings" you might be referring to the architectural elevation drawings, which are not exact representations of the actual finish colors that will be employed.

This aerial view pic is the latest, most up to date "rendering".

Skyline_Renderings.jpg

Looks quite a bit brighter in this one.

I had initially complained about its design.  But after seeing so many other soccer stadiums, this is inherently what they all look like.

The Miami project may not get approval b/c its on the Port-- (on the island).  It was a grand proposal though.

I just hope this stadium helps build up that quadrant with more development.

So much for Parramore (the street).