MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

Not to split hairs, but I think what commercial buildings like this use is not "stucco" per se, but rather a spray on masonry coating.

I personally don't mind it & on this type of construction I think it would be attractive & cost effective.

Using brick or decorative block would be considerably more expensive both in terms of material & labor.

It sad bricks aren't used more in downtown projects. They are obviously more expensive, and I'm pretty sure In order for a building to get LEEDS certification it has to be made of local materials within a certain distance. Just would be nice to see something different that blends more with the history while still being modern.

• Like 1

^^

Doak Campbell- looks great and that was a retrofit project around the original iron girder erector set structure, so, that kind of job can always be donw later.

I didn't know that. I looked up some images of the old stadium & you're right... that was one ugly, rickety looking stadium!!!

Amazing how they transformed something so ugly into one of the best looking stadiums around.

^^

not to get off subject, but FSU didn't have the money at the beginning- much like UCF.  Then Bowden got them winning and more money came.  They did it in the early to mid Nineties.  It's funny because the grandstands are still steel.  Unlike the Citrus Bowl which did away with all steel and now its all concrete like UF's and the other NFL stadiums sans bench seating.

The MLS stadium can always be improved in the future.

Good catch - I knew they had plans to eventually fill in the corners, but I hadn't realized they would extend seating partially around the side fronting Church Street.  The asymmetry could be cool.  

On another note, does anyone else feel like the roof design is a purposeful allusion to the Dr. Phillips Center?  Especially when facing any of the overhangs from head on.  Structural coincidence, or contextual sensitivity?  

On another note, does anyone else feel like the roof design is a purposeful allusion to the Dr. Phillips Center?  Especially when facing any of the overhangs from head on.  Structural coincidence, or contextual sensitivity?  

Not really, the supports kind of look similar but I doubt the designers took any influence from DPAC. San Jose put a roof similar to ours over their stands. 

http://www.sjearthquakes.com/newstadium/webcam%20

Edited by truebluecfl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just heard a report on Ch 9 News about yet another Eminent Domain challenge for the property next door to the new site.

Property owner is trying to jack the city up for more than it's worth like the church.

Looks like a possible long court battle could be ensuing, but the city can proceed with construction based on the previous Eminent Domain ruling awarding the property to the city.

Might push the final cost up by a few million, though.

According to Ch 9, it won't.

The property was awarded to the city, but if it goes to trial, they said that judges typically side with juries as to amount of award. Plus, the city would be on the hook for legal fees, court costs, etc.

The taxpayer could end up paying untold millions more.

I would hope that the city would drag it out in appeals forever & hopefully get the property owners to settle.