MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

According to Ch 9, it won't.

The property was awarded to the city, but if it goes to trial, they said that judges typically side with juries as to amount of award. Plus, the city would be on the hook for legal fees, court costs, etc.

The taxpayer could end up paying untold millions more.

I would hope that the city would drag it out in appeals forever & hopefully get the property owners to settle.

I thought they hire a 3rd party company to do appraisal and sell for the amount or in the vicinity of what the appraisal company decides it is worth. I don't see why there is a debate of millions instead of in the ball park of $100,000s

Just heard a report on Ch 9 News about yet another Eminent Domain challenge for the property next door to the new site.

Property owner is trying to jack the city up for more than it's worth like the church.

Looks like a possible long court battle could be ensuing, but the city can proceed with construction based on the previous Eminent Domain ruling awarding the property to the city.

Might push the final cost up by a few million, though.

Link to the report: http://www.wftv.com/videos/news/orlando-property-owner-at-odds-over-price-for/vC6bC3/

Interesting to note: The city can start building on the property before the price for the land has even been determined.

they approved the stadium in a meeting today (well the closure of parramore to build the stadium on). i got some more pics of field and layout. looks amazing

Well please post them! :-)

And perhaps I am confused, but I was under the impression construction(or ground work at the very least) was under way.

I was curious what it said on the tan block and found this higher-res version:

4387205_G.jpg

Good location for future development. According to the new plan for Parramore, it looks like they're hoping to put in a lot of mixed-income housing into this area. Maybe this will be one of the lots.  That would make this a pretty great park, surrounded by the stadium to the west and urban developments to the north and east.  (Here's to hoping that church picks up and moves one day...) 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's another piece of terrible reporting: Part of Parramore Avenue to close for soccer stadium

I say terrible because the article states things like "Parramore Ave. will no longer go straight through downtown" (which it never did...?) and "Pine St. will dead-end at Terry Ave" (the main part of Pine ends two blocks east, at Hughey). Also, not sure how much traffic will be generated, considering there won't be any parking at the stadium...

Still, it was nice to see the plan with apartments and a park next to the stadium.  That could be a great asset to the area. 

I may have missed this but is the stadium expandable? Not a knee jerk reaction to the ticket sales for the 2015 season but something that I really anticipate being a longer term need.

Originally there was talk of being able to fill in the corners, bringing it from 18k to 22k (or something like that). Not sure if that's still the case in the latest designs. 

I may have missed this but is the stadium expandable? Not a knee jerk reaction to the ticket sales for the 2015 season but something that I really anticipate being a longer term need.

During his frequent visits to Real Radio, Phil Rawlins has said that the stadium is expandable.  Something about more decks and filling in the standing room only area.

I have no link for that, but he's said similar things many times.

• 2 weeks later...