MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

Yeah agree on non-fans for sure. It's just a theory based on my experience as a fan who can only go to about 4-5 games a year.

I agree with Pete. I can only go to 5-7 games and trying to decide which ones I will purchase.  All my soccer fanatic friends are on the same boat and they were all at the first game.  40k is not sustainable, IMO. I think opening up the corners and leaving it at 23k is probably best.  I would only consider opening up more if people were literally beating down the doors.

We need to make sure we can walk before we run.  

That's a solid number, I hoping for 30K.

As someone who just bought MLS Live in great anticipation for this season, give it 20 years and that league will be a great one.

Hopefully Orlando has the same enthusiasm for soccer like Portland, Seattle and Kansas City.

Also, in the renderings I saw a flimsy gate on it's south-side entrance, someone tell me that's not how it will look in real life.

Rather than more seats, I hope they invest in premium items (large video board, LED bands around the stadium, a quality sound system (ie. Not what UCF has), wi-fi, etc. I also hope they take a lesson from the nba and include premium seating options from the start.

Edited by Kaz

Rather than more seats, I hope they invest in premium items (large video board, LED bands around the stadium, a quality sound system (ie. Not what UCF has), wi-fi, etc. I also hope they take a lesson from the nba and include premium seating options from the start.

UCF's sound system is so bad mainly because as part of their settlement with the community to the north, they agreed all speakers must be aimed directly to the south. They weren't allowed to place speakers around the stadium to provide a more balanced solution.

The west side stands will have elevated luxury boxes from the start. The entire west side structure is different from the east side. The east and north side stands are very minimal with just support structure, stands, and open-air concourse. The west side is a solid concrete enclosed building with a interior club level.

The west side stands will have elevated luxury boxes from the start. The entire west side structure is different from the east side. The east and north side stands are very minimal with just support structure, stands, and open-air concourse. The west side is a solid concrete enclosed building with a interior club level.

The North side is different in it's own way.  There is a mid stand opening that opens to a "supporters" bar.  And most importantly, it takes the term "stands" seriously, because everyone "stands".  There are hand rails between rows, but no seats.  It's SRO.

UCF's sound system is so bad mainly because as part of their settlement with the community to the north, they agreed all speakers must be aimed directly to the south. They weren't allowed to place speakers around the stadium to provide a more balanced solution.

Between Brighthouse and Citrus Bowl; the 2 worst sound systems in stadiums ever. I don't know which one is worse.

The North side is different in it's own way.  There is a mid stand opening that opens to a "supporters" bar.  And most importantly, it takes the term "stands" seriously, because everyone "stands".  There are hand rails between rows, but no seats.  It's SRO.

True, the north stands do have unique features.

• 2 months later...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-city-lions/os-orlando-city-soccer-stadium-update-20150529-story.html

Wow.  In short, Orlando City is privately financing the construction of the stadium, declining all money promised thus far by the city and the county, and purchasing the land, and paying property taxes, and is upping the stadium size possibly to as many as 28,000 seats.  

Can all of that unused funding be redirected to DPAC please? 

Edited by uncreativeusername
  • Like 2

I wonder how much the added seating will alter the original design.

Will it go higher? Another deck? Seating in the corners? Complete redesign?

Can't wait to see new renderings.

The original design of 19,500 already included plans and foundation for the expansion announced today.  It only means building out 3 corners (NE, NW, and SW).  The SE corner is reserved for the lion. 

WOW! MLS sports franchises (really not franchises I know) paying for their own stadiums, were that the NBA was the same. Also means they operate the stadium, not Venues, will actually be in competition with the Citrus Bowl for certain events. Not the bowls obviously, nor monster trucks I imagine. I remember some discussion that the north stands could be converted into a covered stage for concerts.  And maybe they can reach a realistic deal with that church. Seeing the plans will be interesting and will they buy all that City owned develop-able land east of the stadium. Certainly help getting rents off of that.

And I echo uncreativeusername, swing that public money over to the DPCPA Phase II and start turning dirt there!

The original design of 19,500 already included plans and foundation for the expansion announced today.  It only means building out 3 corners (NE, NW, and SW).  The SE corner is reserved for the lion.

Yeah, I knew all that, but will simply filling in the corners add from 5,500 to 8,500 seats?

Seems to me that many new seats would require doing more than just that, but I obviously have no way of knowing.

We'll see, & soon I hope.

Or they could take the County and City Money and build a baseball stadium in the vicinity. I think the whole Sports District down Church Street seems to be taking off. I'm guessing $30-$35 Million could build something decent to start with. Of course I'm talking a minor league park.

Edited by UPSDAN

Three corners added = 27,500 total capacity in the original design.

I'm not disputing what you're saying, nor trying to argue the point, but looking at the renderings & knowing the entire stadium as shown only holds 19,000 people, it is hard for me to imagine they could fit another 8,500 just in the three available corners.

But you may well be 100% correct.

Can't wait to see the new design.

I hope it's fairly close to the current one, as I've grown rather fond of it.

Maybe it will end up looking more like this one...

OCSC1.jpg

Wouldn't mind that at all.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

Yeah...you bring up a good point. Now that I think about it, it is probably more than adding just the 3 corners when they said the fully expanded design is 27,500. At the Citrus Bowl, which has a much larger lower bowl, with the corners covered the capacity is 20,000 and adding the corners gets you to 24,000 (they are getting over 30K by opening the middle Plaza level). So that is only a 4,000 seat increase with the corners, and that is adding four corners.