MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

Yes. The city jerked the church around for well over 10 years. So, the church decided to go ahead and spend 6m to develop that land and another building. Next thing you know the city was knocking at the door. The rebuilding process was a nightmare for the church and it's ministries. 

This church has done so much for this city, shaped it course, and want's to continue doing so.     

True, FUMCO got jerked around for a few years, but they still made out like bandits. I remember an article stating the city overpaid well over the average price per square foot - more than property in Manhattan. Also, I recall the Ledbetter building would eventually be demolished - has this changed? I'm glad they painted the building white so that it blends in with the Bohemian as seen from South St.

• 1 month later...

The Orlando City Beautifuls?

Hahaha... I think that's an awful name and a bit counterproductive to the aggressive message that girls play hard, too.  However, I'm pretty sure your tongue was firmly in your cheek.

Since many of the soccer fans are women and soccer is very popular with young girls, this seems like a natural move.  It will be interesting to see if they get the same level of hype that the Lions have received.  We went to 1 Lions game when we were given some free tickets.  The fans were way more fun than the game.  There were TONS and TONS of females of all ages.  I hope they (and think they will) support their fellow females as much as they support the men's team.

ETA:

Wouldn't The Orlando City Lionesses be a mouthful, though?

Edited by HankStrong

I would think Lionesses/Lady Lions would be too "OMG GURLZ". May as well make them wear pink and get Barbi to sponsor it. I doubt anyone means it that way, but that's the gut reaction you'll get to it.

The Pride isn't bad but "Pride" is a word commonly used for the pride movement. Not that it's a bad thing ... just brand distinction and all that.

I don't even like the name Lions for the men's team. Talk about putting zero thought into something. At least they could have named them after a local big cat species, like The Panthers or something.

Maybe just a call the gals The Tigers and be done with it.

Actually there was thought put into that name. They chose Lions because that was the name of the first minor league soccer team in Orlando.

Edited by Pete C

I don't even like the name Lions for the men's team. Talk about putting zero thought into something. At least they could have named them after a local big cat species, like The Panthers or something.

Maybe just a call the gals The Tigers and be done with it.

The team is called Orlando City SC, not the Orlando Lions... Lion is just the mascot. There are hundreds of soccer teams across the world that use the same animals or objects other teams use as a mascots but not as a their actual name. Why is that people feel we need to have some crazy random name for a team for it to be "cool"?

• Like 1

The team is called Orlando City SC, not the Orlando Lions... Lion is just the mascot. There are hundreds of soccer teams across the world that use the same animals or objects other teams use as a mascots but not as a their actual name. Why is that people feel we need to have some crazy random name for a team for it to be "cool"?

Agreed.  I actually perceive the fact that the team's name is simply "Orlando City" as another indication of how invested in the City of Orlando the team is.  Visibility for the Orlando brand with no distraction or gimmick. 

Changing the topic back to the stadium:  I haven't seen it posted but there is a webcam.  The view is a little distant, but it's something.  It's kind of fitting that the webcam is on the "City View" apartments.  Even after the the stadium is complete, City View will take on a whole new meaning.

Edited by cwetteland
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Several bits.  

First, a major pour on site yesterday.  Much of eastern side foundation.has been poured.  

Second, ESPN FC reported Friday (Nov 13) that Orlando (Citrus Bowl) has been selected as one of 12 sites to host Copa America 2016 in June.  I haven't seen this yet in local media.  This will likely include 3 sold out matches over a 2-week period, part of the group stage.  

Edited by cwetteland
  • Like 1

looks better...I agree with the board about a statement feature on the church st entrance. I like the fact they tried to have some sort of adornment with the white triangles on the roof line but I just don't think its quite there yet...(looks kinda like the 408 gateway faux bridge cables / PVC pipes).... but not terrible

Would have preferred tumbled brick rather than stucco looking panels too...guess its made to resemble amway center  a bit

Edited by orlandouprise

• 3 weeks later...

the bet thing about this is that its a full fledged facility with buildings, etc, right up to the sidewalk, per the renderings.  it's not just some erector set stadium.  it's a bona fide major facility.  I love it.  I can't wait to see the effect it has on development in the area.

• Like 2

On Saturday, December 05, 2015 2:30:56, jrs2 said:

the bet thing about this is that its a full fledged facility with buildings, etc, right up to the sidewalk, per the renderings.  it's not just some erector set stadium.  it's a bona fide major facility.  I love it.  I can't wait to see the effect it has on development in the area.

The bounce house at UCF is enough.  We don't need another.