MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

Building in phases normally mean we will never see the second phase in our lifetime in this city. 100 millions is not much money in a grand scheme...I hope they can work it out.

It will still have to meet MLS standards. I rather have a stadium today than not have one at all. 

ORLANDO, Fla. —After two wins during the U.S. Open Cup, the Orlando City soccer club is close to joining Major League Soccer, a source told WESH 2 News.

The source told WESH 2 News sports anchorman Larry Ridley that the team and Orlando officials were close to finalizing a new soccer stadium deal that would include two phases.

The plan is expected to be presented before July's All-Star Game in Kansas City.

The new soccer stadium would be built near Amway Center.

The first phase would cost about $80 million and have no roof overhang for fans in the end zones, as well as less air conditioning than originally planned and three suites instead of four.

The stadium would also have 17,500 seats instead of 19,000.

"Can we put together a very acceptable, high-quality stadium in Phase 1 and add to it in Phase 2? That is certainly an option. We still have to talk to other people about funding mechanisms. That's been very fruitful. We're having great conversations right now with a lot of people," Orlando City Soccer President Phil Rawlins said.

The City will face the Chicago Fire in the U.S. Open Cup quarterfinals on June 26 with kickoff at 7 p.m.

I don't usually follow these things, but this popped up in a Google Alert - 

Orlando City purchased eight Internet domain names for eight different potential stadium names. The Internet really can tell you everything before it happens.

OrlandoCityStadium.com
OrlandoCityField.com
OrlandoCityPark.com
OrlandoCitrusStadium.com
OrlandoCitrusPark.com
OrlandoCitrusField.com
OrlandoField.com
OrlandoStadium.com

What do you think about these options?  Any other names they should consider?
  • Like 1

I believe Buddy is telling the truth. The Sentinel is now reporting that Brazilian superstar Kaka might sign with the team for its inaugural season in 2015, possibly along with others! That has to have the MLS absolutely salivating to bring a team here. Forget Beckham, we would have top notch international soccer stars on the field right away!

I've heard about this as well, it would be a great signing and would give Orlando the immediate international spotlight. (In a way it already has amongst the MLS community) But never underestimate the Brazilians to support this team intensely. I've personally seen groups of Brazilians come to Magic games in normal clothing and end up leaving in a Nelson jersey and a Magic cap. Not to mention they buy hundreds of dollars worth of beer at a game, and the Magic lost many of those games. Imagine how big Orlando City SC could be with Kaka as our first MLS designated player and Flavio backing as ownership. Orlando City would be more popular than the Yankee's in Brazil, and we'd have a huge boom for downtown tourism giving more of the Brazilians an incentive to stay in the City, rather than Disney. That would hopefully lead to more retail and shopping downtown for us to enjoy as well.

Orlando build MLS stadium....Brazillians come to downtown...Brazillians love downtown...Brazillians buy condos...more towers build....retails come to downtown....Orlando becomes largest city in Florida...the Heat died........

MLS team is in the boat... OUR boat.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good!  I like the last line of the article.  Resistance is futile.

It puts the Citrus Bowl renovation budget at over $200m too, which should give it a little extra bump in amenities or at least I hope they allow for the best design possible.  And of course, finishing the Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center is fantastic.  

I can't wait to follow this, and see the final design and shovels in the ground on this project.  Do Orlando proud, and show that we are serious about our sports.

A great move forward...just need the final sign offs..and the MLS approval! A part that was left out of most of the stories is that it is contingent on getting an MLS team. Obviously that was the plan and the end goal and we think that MLS will go for it but that does have to happen still.

For those that like raw documents I posted a link to Jacobs letter in the story on Bungalower.

A great move forward...just need the final sign offs..and the MLS approval! A part that was left out of most of the stories is that it is contingent on getting an MLS team. Obviously that was the plan and the end goal and we think that MLS will go for it but that does have to happen still.

For those that like raw documents I posted a link to Jacobs letter in the story on Bungalower.

MLS has flat-out told our team and our city mayor that if we secure funding for a stadium, we will have a MLS franchise. 

MLS has flat-out told our team and our city mayor that if we secure funding for a stadium, we will have a MLS franchise. 

I don't doubt that but do we have anyone (City, MLS or team) on the record saying that? I'm sure it will be fine but it is s step that needs to be completed and in the world of sports and politics nothing is done until it's signed. I am wishing for the best and think we will be OK.