MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard that there are a number of locations that they are investigating. One of them being Edgewater HS. Since the season is played in the summer it would not conflict with school, just a couple weeks. They would add bleacher seating in the endzones to bring up the capacity between 8-10k. That would be sufficient since the biggest crowd we've drawn this year was around 11,200, and our average is 8-9k. One other possible location I know of being Seminole Soccer complex, but I believe that is too far away for the team to feel comfortable playing there. Rollins was in the mix because of its beautiful facility, but I believe its been ruled out because its just to small and is not expandable. I personally would like to see them at Edgewater, even though it is a HS its still close to downtown and an established stadium. Not to mention in a really nice neighborhood.

On a side note, Orlando City will be hosting the Championship game on Saturday and it will be the last OC game held in the Citrus Bowl as we know it. Come check it out for anyone that's never been, should be a great match.

True, Amway holds 18,846 can be more with standing room, and the O rena held a little over 17k. I'm not trying to put down the Magic, obviously I'm a Magic fan and agree they do have a strong and resilient fanbase. But the passion that the Orlando City fans show is incredible to see in sports, and the team, players, and ownership are class act. Magic have obviously had their problems, and I'm sure they could of drawn over 22k for some games in the past. But one thing that makes this so incredible is Orlando City is only a 3rd division team, a pro but NOT a Major league team. That is what makes this kind of crowd so incredible to see.

http://mlsattendance.blogspot.com/

I realize other variables like the fact this was a Championship game but compared to MLS we would be 2nd in attendance and well above most others for last week, only behind Seattle. That's impressive.

Edited by truebluecfl

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think these were suppose to be leaked yet, the article that was written was deleted. But anyways it looks great! Looks like a high quality English style stadium with the touch of Florida needed with the palms around it. The roofs will keep the fans dry from our typical summer rains and make the stadium very loud. I've heard that there will be a supporters bar on the Church street side and the team shop will be at the corner of Church and Terry adding life and retail to that area of Church street. Hopefully they do make some extended signage like in the rendering.

I don't see the offices that older renderings seem to feature.  Also is much boxier than the old renderings.  

I'm curious to see how many of those big signs stay on the building in the end, the city loves to debate sign sizes. 

I was hoping for a bit more street interaction, maybe a restaurant or pub, some more retail than just one store.  Looks like there is a soccer themed plaza on the east side of the building, I doubt that green patch is just grass.  

What do you make of the two vehicular entrances off of Terry Ave?  Integrated parking garage? VIP parking? On field access for concerts and events? 

Hey guys, I've been coming to this forum for a long time just to read what's going on.  I don't know how much I can add to other discussions but I think I can add to this one.

I've been pretty involved in the happenings of the club.  I'm a season ticket holder from the beginning and I try to stay involved in their social gatherings.

Unfortunately, Phil Rawlins took to Facebook to let everyone know that these renderings are old and a lot has changed from this particular rendering. In fact the architectural firm, Woods Bagot, was released several months ago from the design process according to Phil. 

He said nothing would be released until the stadium funding is approved.

If  the County and City approve the funding in their respected meetings in October.  Then I would imagine that Phil and Co. would go back to New York to meet with MLS officials to nail down final specifics.  Usually big announcements in the MLS happen around big events.  Like the news of expanding to 24 teams by 2020 happened during the All-Star Game. So assuming everything works out I would expect an announcement of getting into MLS (along with stadium renderings)  around the Championship game in December.

Hey guys, I've been coming to this forum for a long time just to read what's going on.  I don't know how much I can add to other discussions but I think I can add to this one.

I've been pretty involved in the happenings of the club.  I'm a season ticket holder from the beginning and I try to stay involved in their social gatherings.

Unfortunately, Phil Rawlins took to Facebook to let everyone know that these renderings are old and a lot has changed from this particular rendering. In fact the architectural firm, Woods Bagot, was released several months ago from the design process according to Phil. 

He said nothing would be released until the stadium funding is approved.

If  the County and City approve the funding in their respected meetings in October.  Then I would imagine that Phil and Co. would go back to New York to meet with MLS officials to nail down final specifics.  Usually big announcements in the MLS happen around big events.  Like the news of expanding to 24 teams by 2020 happened during the All-Star Game. So assuming everything works out I would expect an announcement of getting into MLS (along with stadium renderings)  around the Championship game in December.

Thanks James, this is something I wasn't aware of. Any of your insight is appreciated here.

While this is clearly not a final design, it does give us a good idea about how the stadium will interact with the street.  I honestly do not expect much more street interaction than a pro shop and perhaps a bar (but if the Amway Center bar on the west end of the arena cannot open, I highly doubt we'll see much in a location even further west on Church Street).  

I also doubt much new developments will happend around this stadium, unless someone come in and to build a grand project....

Magic Entertaintment Complex sounds like good idea, but I think our ideas of the entertaintment complex is very different from the actual entertaintment complex. Theare are plenty of rooms around this new stadium, perhaps a garage with ground floor retails can be built....

While this is clearly not a final design, it does give us a good idea about how the stadium will interact with the street.  I honestly do not expect much more street interaction than a pro shop and perhaps a bar (but if the Amway Center bar on the west end of the arena cannot open, I highly doubt we'll see much in a location even further west on Church Street).  

The bar on the west side of Amway has been open since the middle of last season. Its called the Magic Grille, Levy opened and operate's it since the NBA City restaurant never moved in.