Charlotte Festivals and Events

Urbanity

Going to start another topic here as it doesn't appear to exist. With St. Patrick's Day coming up ( my favorite parade and festival in Charlotte) I've been thinking that there are a lot of events that happen here in the Queen City that probably do not get as much notice as they deserve.

For instance, I was completely surprised to find out that Charlotte is hosting it's inaugural Craft Beer Week this month, which I think is a great initiative. I would love to see this region develop a local brew hub status some day which would be good for both the economy as well as tourists pull.

Additionally yesterday morning I saw a few hundred people in Uptown and in the Wachovia Atrium (with vendors set up). It took a while for me to figure out that it was for the Altson + Bird LLP Corporate Cup Challenge (5K race)

These things may seem small individually, but I can tell you as a resident of Uptown and via observation of people who are obviously tourists - these kind of events add a significant attraction to the overall reputation and vibe of the city... I just wished the CIty Center Partners did a better job of getting the word out about such events.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny that you mentioned the Indian festival as that was another one that I walked into by chance and was really impressed by some of the food.

I think this city has great marketers to tourists and potential tourists but they don't do that great a job on keeping residents informed. BTW I hope I'm not coming across as nitpicking them so much as frustrated that I do not see as much promotion to residents of events as I wish.

Going to start another topic here as it doesn't appear to exist. With St. Patrick's Day coming up ( my favorite parade and festival in Charlotte) I've been thinking that there are a lot of events that happen here in the Queen City that probably do not get as much notice as they deserve.

Its my favorite too. Right up there with Taste of Charlotte and Speed Street. Another great parade (almost 90 min) and festival. I did miss the rowdies from St. Bonaventure U. Not sure if they just didn't come this year or too much of their beverage consumption on the float got them the boot. Hopefully it wasn't the beverages. It is St Pats afterall.

Wednesday is the Mexico-Iceland World Cup Exhibition game. I'm curious of what kind of media coverage we will get (not expecting a lot for an exhibition game) as well as what the economic impact will be in Uptown. I would hope the Observer as well as local news media gets lots of video/pics.

On a related note and - Has anyone yet seen figures of the CIAA economic impact? I thought we would have heard by now a final tally.

• 3 weeks later...

News about two upcoming (one soon; one in a few months) to note:

1. Speed Street (May)

- Slight change in layout this year. To take advantage of the NASCAR HOF opening, they've moved the start of it to 5th Street & Tryon heading towards MLK with a stage in front of HOF. I think this is a wisemove to be honest. Great event for CLT for economics, media attention and reinforcing our importance in the racing industry.

2. Charlotte Film Festival for 2010 (September) website is live and I'm digging the "CFF Discover Different" branding. I think this is the great way to go as far as promotions as the fesitival needs to play up its below the radar type feel.

An event to watch for is the upcoming NASCAR HOF opening.

I'm impressed that they got the 82nd Airborne to perform the National Anthem. I'm hoping they start going full on promoting of this to the media and we get some great exposure.

www.nascarhall.com/media/news/story/123/new-country-music-act-to-perform-at-nascar-hall-of-fame-grand-opening

• 3 weeks later...

In the past month, I have seen the following: Jersey Boys, Church (the Austrailian group), Levon Helms, and John Hiatt. I am looking forward to seeing Harry Conick, Jr. and ABBA in the next month. This coupled with things going on like Civalia (forgive my spelling), conventions, activities at the NC Music Factory, and ballgames, skeptics can no longer be said that Charlotte is boring. It actually rocks. thumbsup.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Two days I've spent at the Taste of Charlotte and damn do I like some of the restaurants!!!!.

Graduation + USA/UK Soccer Game + Taste of Charlotte = Light Rail Hell :ph34r:

Don't get me wrong :blush: I was excited to see allll the people on light rail. At the same time, I wasn't too fond of allll the people. It was bitter-sweet.

I have pictures that I'll upload later :fun:

• 1 month later...

Went to the Caribbean Festival last weekend and though weather (101+ humidity) exacerbated it, I was reminded of just how BAD the 300 S. Tryon lot is for festivals. Last year's Summer Irish Festival was in there and kind of stunk which was disappointing as I loved it the previous year.

Here's hoping that the festivals remain on the street and out of the lots!

Anyway a couple of events/festivals on my radar for the next two weeks:

24 hours of Booty- Think it's very cool for CLT that this event is growing in reputation and stature. I understand it has a cool $ million raised this year.

Panthers Fan Fest Aug 7 - free admission to the stadium

Summer Irish Festival August 14 (in the dreaded lot again- please oh please get people who know how to pour a Guinness this year)

• 1 month later...

Time Warner Cable BBQ & Blues (formerly Blues, Brews & BBQ) is coming up this weekend. The event appears to have grown at bit from the past. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and the Bodeans are headlining on Friday and Saturday respectively. Also the stage has moved from the square to the 300 S Tryon parking lot. They have brought back the cooking stage from Charlotte Shout. Seems they are putting an emphasis on recycling as well. Should be a good time, especially since its a free event.

Event Website

Event Map/Program

TWC-BBQ-2010.jpg

EDIT: The program is also printed as the center spread in Creative Loafing.

^^^ Glad you mentioned that and revived the thread! Yiasou was one of the first festivals I ever attended in Charlotte and still one of the best!

Also, this weekend sees the inaugural Gantt Fest!

And let's not forget that Charlotte Pride is under a month - this year it is at the North Carolina Music Factory.

Edit: Forgot a biggie: BBQ and Blues is this weekend (though I much prefer the previous name of Blues, Brews and BBQ)

Also the Charlotte Literary Festival is in NoDA this weekend, and Charlotte's Fashion Week starts September 23rd with events in both BoA (new tower) and Founder's Hall - I'm kinda hoping the do a runway on the skywalk between the two buildings!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A pumpkin carving competition called "GUTS" will be held at the square on Thursday, October 28 at 4:00 pm. This was started by Hawse Design from South End. They recruit creative professionals to compete and then auction off the completed pumpkins to raise money for Levine Children's Hospital. The event was very low key last year, but is getting elevated quite a bit this go round.

Other festivities include:

380lb pumpkin professionally carved

Children's costume contest in Polk Park with a photo booth

Beer/Food vendors

DJ from local radio station

Competition info: http://www.hawsedesign.com/guts

Last year's entries: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawsebrand/sets/72157622695189720/

• 3 weeks later...

^^^Related to Halloween, it was very cool to see so many people in Uptown dressed in costumes from early afternoon through the evening on Saturday. I think one of the things I really do like about Charlotte is that the people who live/come to the center city area are into events and festivities.

Archived