Whitewater Park in Raleigh

RALNATIVE

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe that the city should build this proposed whitewater park?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

As always, the NIMBYs are out in full force. This time to oppose the whitewater park that is proposed for the Neuse River just below Falls Lake dam. This park would provide a much needed recreational destination to the area, but some feel that the impact would be too significant on the environment.

What do YOU think? Should the city move forward with plans to build this park?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly don't know that much about it. This is the first time I'm actually hearing about it, but I'm not really willing to sacrifice our natural beauty for this project. Of course, I don't know to what extent the landscape would be changed or what effects it would have for us.

I honestly don't know that much about it. This is the first time I'm actually hearing about it, but I'm not really willing to sacrifice our natural beauty for this project. Of course, I don't know to what extent the landscape would be changed or what effects it would have for us.

Here's some information online regarding this park:

City of Raleigh Website

WRAL Article

Falls Whitewater Park

If you support the park, make sure to sign the petition on the Falls Whitewater Park website.

I put undecided simply because I don't know much about specing one of these out. I think the neighbors probably are envisioning log rides and a theme park atmosphere which it certainly is not. I am generally in favor of it and I would use it for sure. I would add that this portion of the river and its banks is long overdue for an archeological survey as numerous bridges, colonial outlaws, indian trading paths, and at least one big plantation house all existed near this spot on the river.

Signatures on an online petition is just about worthless as an instrument of influence on policy makers...they are more interested in the opinions of those who either (a) feel strongly enough about it to show up at a public hearing; or even (b) actually take the time to compose a letter or email addressed to the decisionmakers.

People who decided to make one click on a website really aren't indicative of the public's opinion about such a proposal...

• 4 years later...

Archived