Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John E

Tea

117 posts in this topic

I highly recommend the tea at Global Infusion, as well as The Sparrows.

Both places are my favorite tea-parties in town.

I think both stances don't see the issue at hand which is our national debt. One wants to increase it by spending, the other wants to increase it lowering taxes. And the funny thing is, the current administration might do both. If our government has a surplus of 1 billion dollars every year, which is joke because they are running a deficit of like 1 trillion a year. If we ran a surplus of 1,000 million dollars, or 1 billion dollars each year from here on out, in the year 14,000 A.D, we would break even. Talk about spending your grandchildren's money. And that is only if we run a surplus, remember, we are running deficits now in the trillions and only increasing. This isn't bad, this is morally disgusting. Spending in a recession is like getting high when your depressed. You not fixing anything but your temporary state. Personally, I'm for taxes and against spending. I believe it's the responsibility of the current generation to pay it's debts off. The longer we wait, the more people who are not responsible for this mess will have to pay for this financially irresponsible "tax breaks"(Bush) and "spending" (Obama). We vote for people who are irresponsible with our money. It's high time that we blame ourselves, the voters. Vote for people who won't spend money we don't have.

1 person likes this

Thank you for expressing your view, Crinzema. The Tea Party Movement isn't just about taxes. We are about influencing policy and working to get government officials elected who will defend and protect the original meaning of our Declaration of Independence, Constitution and Bill of Rights. We are about limited government (No money for non-essential governmental departments.), financial and personal responsibilty, free market, liberty and a sound foreign policy.

~John

Get US out of the U.N.

End the Fed

I would have to say Justin Amash does an excellent job at representing the values and principles of the Tea Party Movement.

~John

Thank you for expressing your view, Crinzema. The Tea Party Movement isn't just about taxes. We are about influencing policy and working to get government officials elected who will defend and protect the original meaning of our Declaration of Independence, Constitution and Bill of Rights. We are about limited government (No money for non-essential governmental departments.), financial and personal responsibilty, free market, liberty and a sound foreign policy.

~John

Get US out of the U.N.

End the Fed

Could you make a list for me of what you consider non-essential governmental departments? I'd like to cross reference it with my own - thanks.

For a short list I would start with the Federal Reserve.

Department of Education

U.N. Building

Department of Homeland Security

Downsize the Department of Energy

Just a few off the top of my head. Would need to look into others for a larger list.

~John

Walker,

Other Tea Party People may disagree with me on this matter but I think public transportation is an essential service that some tax money should be used for.

I was totally for raising the property tax to support the Silver Line during the first request but after learning more and thinking more on the matter, I have been encouraging the Rapid to look for other sources of funding for improvements. I can't see them asking for a tax increase every time they want to improve public transportation. A good example of this possibility is Millennium Park.

~John

Tea Party people do not conduct themselves in such manners. IF those things happened, they would be done by agent provocateurs.

~John

1 person likes this

One thing I'd like to see the Tea Partiers address/tackle is the overselling of higher education and the government's (regardless of who is president) incessant need to subsidize the failed life adventures of the one half of college students who never graduate. I know Obama has been chanting the same sales pitch as everyone else - "go to college."

A recent debate that highlights points I don't feel like regurgitating here:

Education and the Economy - Miller Center of Public Affairs

As suspected, a March 24th Quinnipiac Poll shows that 74% of the "Tea Party" membership are self identified, ultra conservative republicans. This whole "grassroots" movement is nothing more than a K Street/Madison Avenue branding campaign. Are the tea baggers angry - no doubt but I question the sincerity of their anger when many of the issues they seem to be most upset about (runaway government spending, infringement on personal freedoms, growth of big government...) not only had their roots but flourished during the Bush/Cheney years - where was the anger then? Republicans are notoriously poor losers but brilliant at the art of re-invention - tea baggers are nothing more than a slick (and admittedly effective) ad campaign. Anyone who thinks that by returning the republicans to power will magically transform us back to a Leave It To Beaver America is fooling them self.

jwazzz,

I believe the Tea Party Movement stemmed from the Ron Paul Revolution. Where was the media and understanding back then?

The Tea Party People are not a bunch of angry people. We are afraid of what the Government has become and is growing into. The Tea Party Movement is not about the Republican Party. The TPM is non-partisan. The TPM is all about working to get this country back to the Constitutional Republic that it was founded on. The TPM is afraid of the tyrannical government. The TPM is frustrated with a government that does not operate according to OUR Constitution and goes against the will of the people. The TPM is all about working to influence policy and to get Constitution and People backing people elected into office. Check out the Mission Statement of the Tea Party of West Michigan:

"To influence policy and affect the election of government officials who will defend and protect the original meaning of our Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights."

The TPM is all about working to get our Government back to governing according to OUR Constitution. The TPM movement is about attempting to hold government officials accountable and attempting to get them from seeing themselves as officials but as public servants. The TPM is working to have a government that is by the people and for the people. Okay, this may be a dream, but it is a dream, vision that We The People are working to achieve.

What is interesting in my observation is that the media does not report on how the TPM is working to get people elected who stand on the Constitution.

Why do people complain about an organization of people that are working to get this country back to the Constitutional Republic? What is wrong with having a limited government, personal rights and responsibilities? Are the people complaining the ones who do not want personal responsibility and expect the government to take care of them?

The TPM is about preventing us from a growing TDA (Tyrannical Dictatorship of America) and getting back to the United States of America where the States govern the Federal Government rather than a Federal Government that governs States, Counties and local governing bodies and people. The TPM is about getting the Federal Government out of our personal lives.

~John

The biggest problem I have with the tea party movement is not their desire to have a more concise government but the religious undertones of the entire movement. Thats the rub for me. I have not seen one Tea Partier declare themselves to be a Muslim, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist, or even a servant of the only true God: Ra. Every time religion is brought up they all, magically, turn out to be Christians. Why is that?

The biggest problem I have with the tea party movement is not their desire to have a more concise government but the religious undertones of the entire movement. Thats the rub for me. I have not seen one Tea Partier declare themselves to be a Muslim, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist, or even a servant of the only true God: Ra. Every time religion is brought up they all, magically, turn out to be Christians. Why is that?

So you're disturbed that people who are taking part in politics happen to be Christian?

It is nice seeing both sides of how people see the "Christian Tea People". To clarify the view of the Tea Party Movement I will let you know what is happening. The weekly Tea Party of West Michigan opens with prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag. The Tea Party has made the decision to not get tangled up in social issues. Though they are extremely to us personally we do not want any distractions or divisions that could take away from the pertinent issue that are dictating the course of our country. The Tea Party will focus on Constitutional matters of legislation regardless of religion or race. The Tea Party accepts ANYBODY who stands for our Constitution.

Best always,

~John

Get US out of the U.N.

End the Fed

Let me preface with this; I voted for Bob Barr on the libertarian ticket in 08, but if you asked me now who I'd vote for, it would be the least partisan candidate whether that be on one side or the other. I'd say the one issue that makes me want to disassociate myself with the "tea party movement" is their disrespect of the governing authority. It's true that we are a country "for the people" and "by the people", but government must govern over people. Whether government overreached their authority is a topic of debate, but responding with civil discourse is equally uncalled for.

As suspected, a March 24th Quinnipiac Poll shows that 74% of the "Tea Party" membership are self identified, ultra conservative republicans. This whole "grassroots" movement is nothing more than a K Street/Madison Avenue branding campaign. Are the tea baggers angry - no doubt but I question the sincerity of their anger when many of the issues they seem to be most upset about (runaway government spending, infringement on personal freedoms, growth of big government...) not only had their roots but flourished during the Bush/Cheney years - where was the anger then? Republicans are notoriously poor losers but brilliant at the art of re-invention - tea baggers are nothing more than a slick (and admittedly effective) ad campaign. Anyone who thinks that by returning the republicans to power will magically transform us back to a Leave It To Beaver America is fooling them self.

Sounds like you were rub the wrong way before this. This has nothing to do with the religion of Christianity. You see what you want to see. The media lets you see what they want you to see, if they happen to roll one way or the other (Fox/MSNBC and~CNN).