Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

greenvillehistorytours

Gondolas on the Reedy

13 posts in this topic

Just saw that someone applied to the Design Commission for a revival of Gondolas on the Reedy:

request by Johnathan Rushing to install a dock and sign for Greenville Gondola Service to be located on the Reedy River near Riverplace. The property is identified as tax map number 58-5-1, located in the Central Business District.

Interesting. I wonder where and how far the gondolas would go? I definitely like the idea...

I can't imagine they could travel beyond the River Street bridge and the pedestrian bridge near the dammed up former "Swamp Rabbbit Railroad" trestle. It is a great idea in our beautiful downtown, but I hope the prices will reflect the tiny size of the experience.

I can't imagine they could travel beyond the River Street bridge and the pedestrian bridge near the dammed up former "Swamp Rabbbit Railroad" trestle. It is a great idea in our beautiful downtown, but I hope the prices will reflect the tiny size of the experience.

How long has it been since the gondola business operated, and how long was it in operation?

Just saw that someone applied to the Design Commission for a revival of Gondolas on the Reedy:

request by Johnathan Rushing to install a dock and sign for Greenville Gondola Service to be located on the Reedy River near Riverplace. The property is identified as tax map number 58-5-1, located in the Central Business District.

There is a "city hearing" sign on the banks of the Reedy along the riverwalk just north of Riverplace. Would this be for the dock for this service? dontknow.gif

How long has it been since the gondola business operated, and how long was it in operation?

if this is the same guy as last time then my vote is against this. before it wasnt even a real gondola it was just a small fishing boat with a wooden cut out on either side. that doesnt exactly make for a romantic ride around behind the peace center.

if this is the same guy as last time then my vote is against this. before it wasnt even a real gondola it was just a small fishing boat with a wooden cut out on either side. that doesnt exactly make for a romantic ride around behind the peace center.

I'm not sure what could be done, but if you can only paddle in what is essentially circles, then it's always going to come off as slightly cheesy.

I feel like we need considerably more development and activity along the Reedy River to make a gondola ride worth it. This is a nice idea, but are we really ready for it?

I'm not sure what could be done, but if you can only paddle in what is essentially circles, then it's always going to come off as slightly cheesy.