The Bad News Report

tozmervo

What does "on the Atlantic side" mean? Charlotte and Dublin are both on the Atlantic side, just different sides.

^ Yeah, though technically one might say Dublin is on the Irish sea side... :)

“The appointment of McCann and Bos to ChiquitaFyffes’ two most crucial commercial roles suggests the balance of operational power will be very much on the European side of the Atlantic,” wrote America Fruit, a trade magazine covering the fresh fruit industry.

My bad  :whistling:

Charlotte Magazine did a nice job of connecting the dots: http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Blogs/Way-Out/March-2014/It-Was-Nice-Having-Your-Headquarters-For-A-Hot-Minute-Chiquita/

It only makes sense for them to now be based in Ireland. The corporate tax difference in the US versus Ireland is astounding. So, take the money and run. But hey, at least the former CEO still replies to us on Twitter.  :wacko:

The City will roll over on this....Chiquita will threaten to move jobs to Ireland if they can't keep incentives and that will be the end of it.  They will dance around the semantics of "Headquarters facility, etc etc" to justify it.

I'm all for incentives to attract business, but I'd really like the city to play hardball here.  Worst case, the increase incentives, but get even higher staffing levels to be based in CLT maybe?  I dunno.  It makes me sad to see city leaders/chamber officials already rolling over in the press.

So many of the incentives deals to lure businesses have ended with changes a few years out.   It seems the types of businesses these incentives attract are starting to struggle, which is what causes them to seek incentives and relocations in the first place. 

Obviously, though, I'm always proud of our local government when we put in the proper contract language to not be taken.  It will be a very good outcome if the US HQ remains here, increased travel demands cause CLT-DUB flights to increase, but for our technical language to mean that as part of the deal they will have no incentives from the city.  Those types of incentives are pennies in a larger merger, but hopefully it doesn't cause them to look again at having the jobs here that we counting on. 

^BofA, Wells Fargo, AA and just about every major US corporation is "incorporated" in Delaware, although no management jobs are based there.  I'm sure the lawyers for both the city and Chiquita could spin a similar story that the company will be "incorporated" in Ireland but Charlotte will have some type of "Headquarters" function... 

From the CBJ article:

Former Charlotte City Councilman Edwin Peacock, who lost the mayoral election to Patrick Cannon in the fall, says he expects legal scrutiny to follow over how "headquarters" is defined.  “The question now is will we enforce the term 'headquarters'?” says Peacock,  who opposed the incentives package for Chiquita as a council member. “Headquarters is a loose term in corporate America today.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/outside_the_loop/2014/03/charlotte-chiquita-s-23m-incentives-deal-requires.html?page=all

Edited by ChessieCat

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. Sounds like he is screwed.

I'm assuming he will be removed from his post rather quickly.

Will there be a new election or will someone else be chosen by the city council?

I am pretty sure there will be a pro tempore mayor and another election will be held

This is crazy bad. 

Edit: It's already being picked by major outlets on social media. This will probably be on all the national* evening newscasts. 

And is it though??? Does it really matter, some other corrupt puppet will just take his place. Call me pessimistic but what has he really done? Someone will just step right in with the same nonsense. 

I am pretty sure there will be a pro tempore mayor and another election will be held

And is it though??? Does it really matter, some other corrupt puppet will just take his place. Call me pessimistic but what has he really done? Someone will just step right in with the same nonsense. 

Depends on how slow the national news day is..

Lets see... nothing new in Russia/Ukraine...

nothing new on the Malaysia flight search...

yeah, this could get a mention from Brian Williams tonight..

This is pretty major.  I think whether or not every politician does this is irrelvent.  The fact is that it happened here and in Detroit, Trenton and Birmingham is not good company to keep.

If the "gold line" connection is the center of gravity for the corruption dealings, that's going to make Foxx's extreme support more than a little suspicious.

This is pretty major.  I think whether or not every politician does this is irrelvent.  The fact is that it happened here and in Detroit, Trenton and Birmingham is not good company to keep.

Agreed its not good company, but is it major?? What is the worst that happens, people don't want to do dealings with Charlotte anymore?? The next person that takes his place will be just as corrupt as anyone, and anyone looking to deal with the city knows that. They just have to hope the next one isn't dumb enough to get caught.

I am willing to bet the average Charlotte citizen, ones that don't read UP, wont even notice after this once it is out of the news.

Edited by Jayvee