The Bad News Report

tozmervo

http://www.charlottefive.com/housing-first-way-end-homelessness-charlotte/

This is actually good news but it pertains to the earlier conversation on homelessness.  I am committed to working with these folks (which I don't mind saying since this is an anonymous forum).  Would love to see Charlotte lead the nation in addressing this problem.  It's the right thing to do and will have significant financial benefits (property values, tourism, etc.) as well.  If anyone is interested in volunteering, let me know and perhaps we can meet up over there...

On June 8, 2016 at 6:02 PM, cltcane said:

From my experience, yes.  I run through Uptown daily, and there is rarely a day I don't get aggressively panhandled and/or followed in the warmer months.  I'm not sure where the homeless guys and/or vagrants think I'm keeping my stash of small bills (they've gone from asking for change to asking for dollars) in my pocketless running shorts.  I don't typically wear a shirt, so I guess they assume I run with singles in my shoes?

wow.  That has never happened to me, and I think we probably traverse Uptown daily.  Earbuds or no earbuds, I don't really get bothered.  I might have the occasional guy bark at me, but I just keep walking; if they want something, they'll speak up before you get too far away.  My response is always, "sorry, no cash."  Why would I give money to you when there's people performing in the square, there are flowers I could buy the woman, or I could get some fresh produce tonight for dinner.  Give you money so you can go get high?  No thanks.

• Like 2

Heres 120 new apartments proposed for the chronically homeless but I believe many of these on the streets uptown are professional panhandlers.  I have gotten approached 3 of the last 3 times I was in uptown Charlotte mainly on weekends. Hopefully this would help.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article83945632.html

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Don't know if this is good news that Charlotte is #1 and beats Raleigh #2 or not.  Charlotte is named the sweatiest city in America? LOL 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article84190102.html

Pretty crazy. There's pretty good discussion about that here:

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/37936-perception-of-charlotte-nationwide/?page=70#comment-1413367

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Wow this is bad news on the health front. A guy dies after visiting the Whitewater center.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/ohio-man-dead-from-amebic-infection-visited-whitewater-center-health-officials-say/356870471

Actually, it was a female and although it makes the Whitewater Center look suspicious, the results are not conclusive at this point. But, it is a scary situation. 

The rafting area is man made correct? I've heard of this happening in man made lakes and ponds before especially when the water temperature rises. Several years ago the same thing happened to a young boy at a wake boarding facility in Orlando. At the time I remember reading a quote saying that these organisms can be difficult to regulate in sub-tropic climates as well.

14 hours ago, go_vertical said:

The rafting area is man made correct? I've heard of this happening in man made lakes and ponds before especially when the water temperature rises. Several years ago the same thing happened to a young boy at a wake boarding facility in Orlando. At the time I remember reading a quote saying that these organisms can be difficult to regulate in sub-tropic climates as well.

The Whitewater center is more like a swimming pool than a man made lake.  They do treat their water, on the other hand they don't seem to have very good landscaping to prevent run off from getting into the "river".  I'm not a big fan of their "weekly" water testing either, while they likely have a lower biological load than a swimming pool I still think daily testing is the way to go (of course the media reports may have very well gotten their testing procedures wrong too).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tozmervo said:

While I don't doubt that probably played some role, ESPN didn't actually mention HB2 having anything to do with the decision. Is there info out there the Observer didn't include beyond speculation?

Nah, you are correct that the HB2 link is just speculation. Unfortunately there will be very few direct connections between negative economic imapct and HB2 as we move forward (nobody makes an announcement when we are eliminated from consideration because of HB2).

Back in March ESPN did say in reference to HB2: "At ESPN, we embrace diversity and inclusion and will evaluate all of our options as we seek a new city for the X Games." and I believe that is what the Observer grabbed onto (they may have even had the same quote)

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/15060348/ncaa-monitoring-north-carolina-anti-discrimination-law

Edited by kermit

Yes I believe there are many other factors on why the X Games bid was withdrawn. Read this article from the Austin Statesman and its impact on the local speedway host. CMS has many events during the summer weekly and 4-5 week block of time may have not worked for them. Also the article hints the X Games wanted more money from the state of Texas. So is it pure speculation to say they withdrew the bid because of HB2. http://www.statesman.com/news/sports/x-games-will-not-return-to-austin-in-2017/nqqKP/  Not to mention also the daily attendance was dropping from the 1st year. 

Edited by KJHburg
added a line
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, mpretori said:

Outch! Class A really taking a hit! 2016 Q2 office report is horrific. 

www.us.jll.com/united-states/en-us/Research/US-Charlotte-Office-Statistics-Q2-2016-JLL.pdf

What is so "horrific" about this report? Charlotte absorbed over 346K in Class A office space in the 2nd Quarter. 9.9% vacancy which is considered healthy or better yet indicating that we actually need more class A space. 

• Like 2

I listed and commented on this under good news because it is. Charlotte office market absorbed 476,000 sq ft of office space so far this year and that is equal 1% of the total inventory. The national average for the first 6 months is .5% so Charlotte is performing twice as well as the national average. In fact Charlotte had more positive absorption in raw square feet than the Washington DC market which is the 2nd largest in the country!  Total Charlotte market as JLL notes 47 million vs Washington DC metro of 328 million. 

Here is the national side by side comparisons  you can download it here   http://www.us.jll.com/united-states/en-us/research/7202/us-office-first-look-q2-2016-jll

Edited by KJHburg
add link
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HopHead said:

What is so "horrific" about this report? Charlotte absorbed over 346K in Class A office space in the 2nd Quarter. 9.9% vacancy which is considered healthy or better yet indicating that we actually need more class A space. 

I was thinking the same thing.  I actually placed other cities (in place of Charlotte) in the link and Atlanta and Miami for instance are in worst shape then Charlotte!

10 hours ago, HopHead said:

Follow me here...

Yearly NET absorption: 234,137

Q2 2016 absorption: 59,291 

Meaning Q1 had 174,846 absorption. That's a massive decline of the rate of absorption.  Even the report claims the city is in a slowdown and attributes HB2 to the cause. 

Please note i am only talking about the CBD not the bubs. 

Edited by mpretori

3 hours ago, mpretori said:

Follow me here...

Yearly NET absorption: 234,137

Q2 2016 absorption: 59,291 

Meaning Q1 had 174,846 absorption. That's a massive decline of the rate of absorption.  Even the report claims the city is in a slowdown and attributes HB2 to the cause. 

Please note i am only talking about the CBD not the bubs. 

Here's the actual report for anyone that wants to read it. It doesn't actually report a negative outlook at all, but instead it's cautiously optimistic which is a big difference. 

"Moving forward, cautious optimism Excluding a major tenant exiting the market, economic downturn, or unforeseen downsizing look for vacancy rates to stay relatively low and absorption to remain healthy into the forseeable future. Solid market fundamentals and rising rental rates are meeting consistent demand which is being dragged by the state of North Carolina’s HB2 political issue backlash. Charlotte’s glass is more than half full and the office market is well-positioned for long term sustained growth." 

http://www.us.jll.com/united-states/en-us/Research/US-Charlotte-Office-Insight-Q2-2016-JLL.pdf?44dc8916-bae5-4889-ad39-26c7e5a1fa9f

Keep in mind that Uptown (or CBD) does not have large blocks of office space available. Total Vacancy is at 7.4%. Other CBD markets such as Atlanta (15.9%) and Indianapolis (19.6%) for example can much more easily absorb tenants. I would also look at this more holistically. As much as we want it to, the office market doesn't revolve around just Uptown. A lot of recent expansions are going outside 277 and closer to 485. The Suburban market absorption rate, which is higher in Q2 than Q1, will tell you that. 

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 3