The Bad News Report

tozmervo

Last little glimmer of hope: Nothing has been officially announced yet. The news sites got this info from "reliable, anonymous sources" so there might still be a chance for them to change their minds. Chances are a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff is going on with this. I'm not very optimistic but nothing is confirmed thus far.

Here's how it went:

Some desk jockey got an RFP, and starts whipping around rumors for the rumor mille.  Some media people got wind of it, and cranked out eye-catching headlines.  Guarantee that all the NBA is doing is sparking some action on our part.  If they feel they can get to a net positive after all the damages of breaking the contract, they'd do it.  That said, I don't know what kind of incentives the NBA can get that would widen their margin.

It's a cluster right now, but I still expect things to cool down and go through as planned.

I mean, I hate to say I told you so...but the damn writing was on the wall.  I'll give the NBA credit, this is some full circle level crap right here:

Charlotte Hornets - Mayor Pat McCrory - City goes against new arena - Team moves to New Orleans

NBA Allstar Game - Governor Pat McCrory - State signs into law HB2 - Allstar game moves to New Orleans

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

I mean, I hate to say I told you so...but the damn writing was on the wall.  I'll give the NBA credit, this is some full circle level crap right here:

Charlotte Hornets - Mayor Pat McCrory - City goes against new arena - Team moves to New Orleans

NBA Allstar Game - Governor Pat McCrory - State signs into law HB2 - Allstar game moves to New Orleans

Credit for what? They're punishing CLT for the states stupid actions through false outrage. They only care because PR says to. "NBA Cares" and stuff yeah sure, but this is pure false outrage. Jordan has got to be going INSANE. THAT SAID, this hurts....bad....but CLT will be okay. They basically said if things change in the state (they will) we will get the 2019 game. By then we will have WAY more hotels and cool things so I guess it kinda works lol. They just don't have time for the Feds and voters to fix our problems right now to avoid the PR mess. 

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Higgs Boson said:

How hard would it be for Charlotte to leave NC and join SC?  

NC is such an embarrassment of a state.

North Carolina is a great state, one of the best.  I vehemently disagree with you.

5 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Can we please move anyone in support of HB2, or defends this piece of scum pat, on their own island?

That's silly.  Reasonable people can disagree on whether it's prudent for transgender women to share locker rooms/bathrooms with little girls (as an example).  I'm against the law but some portions of it are at least debatable.  Does the President belong on the island with Hillary since they previously opposed gay marriage?  More tolerance and patience is needed on both sides.

5 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Credit for what? They're punishing CLT for the states stupid actions through false outrage. They only care because PR says to. "NBA Cares" and stuff yeah sure, but this is pure false outrage. Jordan has got to be going INSANE. THAT SAID, this hurts....bad....but CLT will be okay. They basically said if things change in the state (they will) we will get the 2019 game. By then we will have WAY more hotels and cool things so I guess it kinda works lol. They just don't have time for the Feds and voters to fix our problems right now to avoid the PR mess. 

Agree completely.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Credit for likely moving it to New Orleans.  They could move it a bunch of places, I find it oddly jarring that, much like our original Hornets leaving to NO, so will the All-star game.  Let's not forget that NO got the #1 draft Anthony Davis the year the Bobcats had the worst record in NBA history, and we ended up getting MKG (not to say MKG is bad, he's just no Anthony Davis).  I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I'd like to believe somewhere, someone within the NBA has a long running vendetta against Charlotte, haha.  Otherwise this is one hell of an ongoing coincidence. 

8 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

Credit for likely moving it to New Orleans.  They could move it a bunch of places, I find it oddly jarring that, much like our original Hornets leaving to NO, so will the All-star game.  Let's not forget that NO got the #1 draft Anthony Davis the year the Bobcats had the worst record in NBA history, and we ended up getting MKG (not to say MKG is bad, he's just no Anthony Davis).  I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I'd like to believe somewhere, someone within the NBA has a long running vendetta against Charlotte, haha.  Otherwise this is one hell of an ongoing coincidence. 

Oh, NO is VERY capable of hosting large events and have proven a lot they can handle it. It's an easy move for the NBA that's all. False outrage followed by an easy move. Also if that vendetta is the the case look no farther than Cleveland to tell you it's gonna be a long wait for a championship. The sports world had quite the vendetta against us.

Edited by Jayvee

3 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

lovely headlines..

Screenshot_(7).png

Well at least it says "over North Carolina law" kind of directs it more to being the states fault than the city's fault. I'd be curious as to what people nationally think. I'll be honest, other than right now and in Feb of next year, I don't think it'll have an affect on our image at all.

The implementation was a mix of J Rob wanting to make a political name for herself (you're and idiot if you don't think this is true) and true good intentions of wanting to move this city and society into the modern day and forcing bigots to get over themselves. 

Also: COO Whitfield said league is sufficiently committed to Charlotte that NBA doesn't plan to put 2019 ASG out to general bid.

Edited by Jayvee

52 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

You sir, nailed it

20 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Well at least it says "over North Carolina law" kind of directs it more to being the states fault than the city's fault. I'd be curious as to what people nationally think. I'll be honest, other than right now and in Feb of next year, I don't think it'll have an affect on our image at all.

I've been living in different parts of the country my whole life (Southern California, Northern Virginia, Miami) so I have a lot of obscure Facebook friends (you know those people that you don't really ever talk to but somehow are friends with on Facebook) and I have seen a lot of posts about this from multiple people, and they pretty much associate Charotte with North Carolina, they don't see that Charlotte actually is more socially progressive than the rest of the state.

1 minute ago, saamh said:

I've been living in different parts of the country my whole life (Southern California, Northern Virginia, Miami) so I have a lot of obscure Facebook friends (you know those people that you don't really ever talk to but somehow are friends with on Facebook) and I have seen a lot of posts about this from multiple people, and they pretty much associate Charotte with North Carolina, they don't see that Charlotte actually is more socially progressive than the rest of the state.

Blah, I think that is the case as well. Same goes for Raleigh, which is probably even more progressive. Such a terrible storm to weather but we will get through it

Will the NBA move the team out of Charlotte and for Houston that matter since they have the same kind of law? Where does this stop and what city or state will be punished next and for what?  This is a league that has ONE African American owner Michael Jordan and they left him hanging and made him look bad. I am just using their logic on punishing Charlotte and NC. Whom they  are really punishing is Michael Jordan and his Hornets, a small market team,  and the hard workers at hotels, restaurants all over town. I call the NBA;s actions discriminatory. Whether you agree with this law OR not, this does nothing to help this situation and come to resolution. The NBA just poured gasoline on the flames. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Will the NBA move the team out of Charlotte and for Houston that matter since they have the same kind of law? Where does this stop and what city or state will be punished next and for what?  This is a league that has ONE African American owner Michael Jordan and they left him hanging and made him look bad. I am just using their logic on punishing Charlotte and NC. Whom they  are really punishing is Michael Jordan and his Hornets, a small market team,  and the hard workers at hotels, restaurants all over town. I call the NBA;s actions discriminatory. Whether you agree with this law OR not, this does nothing to help this situation and come to resolution. The NBA just poured gasoline on the flames. 

Seriously? The NBA is a private business, the league owns the ASG and they have every right to put the game in a location that does not give them PR headaches. Their actions are perfectly rational and reasonable. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

If there is a positive here, maybe this gets the attention of the younger generations in the state to actually cast a vote.  May this be McCrory's death knell, along with all the other blockheads in Raleigh.

• Like 1