The Bad News Report

tozmervo

3 hours ago, kermit said:

As the father of a teenage daughter I have a really difficult time understanding this logic. There is absolutely no evidence suggesting that there would be a problem created by the Charlotte ordinance. Yet we live in a country where their is a huge amount of evidence suggesting that our permissive firearms laws cause children to kill and be killed at appalling rates (there were 83 incidents last year of a child killing someone with a firearm and roughly 1,500 children are killed each year by guns in the US (about 4 per day) -- yet we do absolutely nothing to reduce the frequency of this problem.  Why do we think its OK to limit the rights of a small group of people just because of a vague worry about non-existent "pervs and creepers" while 4 kids a day get killed? When I worry about my child's safety (and I do that a lot) I try to focus on the risks that 1) actually exist and 2) are most dangerous. Getting distracted by petty, non-existent, problems only sustains and increases the real (and preventable) risks to my child's health.

The condecending tone the Internet enables is amusing.  I was trying to explain the logic behind a reasonable, non-hate based opposition to the law. Maybe this will simplify it for you:

-the law allows people with male anatomy to change in a women's locker room

-I don't want my daughter watching R rated movies much less viewing real life male anatomy, even if it is an accidental glance.

That risk "actually exists" given the law. 

Pontificate all you want. I've already said I have no issue with a transgender person using the bathroom stall of their choosing. Changing the law to eliminate the legal right to take action against abusers of decency just seems overkill bordering on absurdity to me. I never said I was overly concerned she was going to get abducted and raped because of this law. Clam down. Introducing gun laws into this discussion is not something I'm going to entertain. The right to privacy and the right to preserve the innocence of your child are rights some people believe are worth preserving. There is nothing discriminatory, morally wrong, or hate-filled with that opinion. 

• Like 1

I don't understand the whole "Charlotte brought this on" thing. If Raleigh simply created a bill that nullified the Charlotte ordinance, there would be complaining, but the whole controversy would have died off and it is unlikely anything would have pulled out of Charlotte. Instead, they passed a bill that nullified the Charlotte bill, and then proceeded to do a million and one other things.

They sell it like they just had to take away the Charlotte ordinance, but under the hood they did so much more, the things people are really mad about. Charlotte is just being used as a scapegoat for them to pass a bill with all the hate. I completely understand the NBA, and as much as I hate what it did for Charlotte (A place I just moved to mind you) I applaud them. McCrory tried to call a bluff, and the NBA proved them wrong. 

A bunch of f&$king children.

• Like 1

^^

I agree with much of your post.  However, Charlotte could have passed the ordinance without the controversial bathroom/locker room portion and it's likely Raleigh would have done nothing.  They were (allegedly) warned that there would be a disproportionate reaction if they passed they ordinance and they passed it anyway (apparently thinking that the GA was bluffing).  They weren't and the idiots in Raleigh quickly passed a law (with virtually zero public discussion and debate) that went way beyond the narrow bathroom provisions.  So, in that regard, Charlotte did bring this on.  Had they incrementally tried to increase protections and access, I believe they would have been successful.  It's true that the GA used a cannon to kill a bug but it's also true that I'd hesitate to let my wife or daughter shower with a man/transexual woman (I'd have no issues with them showering with a lesbian, BTW).  Am I worried about that?  Not at all.  Am I against the law?  100%.  Do I believe that the law will protect people from criminally-minded perverts?  No.  However, there was clear over-reach on both sides.  I don't think that opinion makes me a bigot since I believe all people should be treated with respect and that discrimination on the basis of sexuality should be illegal.  

Edited by JBS

2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Give you a break?  From what? Reality?  It is what it is. Perdue made teaching a profession from which to escape with no pay raises and huge lay offs. She made stupid deals like Chiquita Banana's relocation here and the benefits offered. And, since I don't care about HB2, I don't care that McCrory has taken lots of heat. That is his problem.  I go to the bathroom, do my business, and get out. I don't hang around, therefore, I don't care who or what is there. I do wish that McCrory would bite the bullet and just trash the bill for the sake of the city. You elude to "seeking compromise" on the HB2 issue.  Don't you think that it would be more sensible if Roberts had used her brain and coordinated her modifications with the governor or perhaps orchestrated a referendum or vote?  

Edited by caterpillar2

3 hours ago, caterpillar2 said:

Give you a break?  From what? Reality?  It is what it is. Perdue made teaching a profession from which to escape with no pay raises and huge lay offs. She made stupid deals like Chiquita Banana's relocation here and the benefits offered. And, since I don't care about HB2, I don't care that McCrory has taken lots of heat. That is his problem.  I go to the bathroom, do my business, and get out. I don't hang around, therefore, I don't care who or what is there. I do wish that McCrory would bite the bullet and just trash the bill for the sake of the city. You elude to "seeking compromise" on the HB2 issue.  Don't you think that it would be more sensible if Roberts had used her brain and coordinated her modifications with the governor or perhaps orchestrated a referendum or vote?  

Reality is what you are not seeing. That which is publicly discussed and acknowledged is about 25% of what is actually going on in politics.  The back story and what is controlled by the lobbyists/contributors/party hacks, etc is the other 75% and that is hidden from view as best they can achieve.    

Perdue helped bring a LOT of jobs to NC and Charlotte. Not every business is going to stay around forever, that is the nature of the beast. She did more for Charlotte as Governor than McCrory did as Mayor and Governor.  She would never have cut education if she had a choice in the matter. The state cannot deficit spend as the Feds can. Her hands were tied. 

It took DECADES of work by many people to give NC a superior reputation and better economy and education system than the rest of the Deep South. McCrory and the legislature have begun reversing that in a big way. Decades of progress won't be rolled back overnight, but they are going as fast as they can.  This goes far deeper than just who uses what bathroom. 

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 5:02 PM, Squid7085 said:

I don't understand the whole "Charlotte brought this on" thing. If Raleigh simply created a bill that nullified the Charlotte ordinance, there would be complaining, but the whole controversy would have died off and it is unlikely anything would have pulled out of Charlotte. Instead, they passed a bill that nullified the Charlotte bill, and then proceeded to do a million and one other things.

They sell it like they just had to take away the Charlotte ordinance, but under the hood they did so much more, the things people are really mad about. Charlotte is just being used as a scapegoat for them to pass a bill with all the hate. I completely understand the NBA, and as much as I hate what it did for Charlotte (A place I just moved to mind you) I applaud them. McCrory tried to call a bluff, and the NBA proved them wrong. 

A bunch of f&$king children.

What are these 'million and one other things' ? I swear, it's just like HB2 opponents to exaggerate - grossly so.

11 minutes ago, Dale said:

Trailing in the polls, Cooper finds his flip-flops just in time for summer:

https://ladyliberty1885.com/2016/06/03/just-in-time-for-summer-ag-roy-coopers-amazing-hb2-flip-flops/

I like to get my news from reliable sources, not blogs and tweets. Thanks! Btw pat behind now. Have a good day!

Edited by mpretori
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dale said:

I just posted on the *coughs* Civil Rights thread now if anyone wants to discuss HB2. Honestly, I don't see the sky falling.

You're not fooling anyone. Saying you rather have a terrorist as Governor of NC that massacred 77 people, rather than Cooper. All because you want HB2 to stand.  

Edited by mpretori
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, mpretori said:

Your not fooling anyone. Saying you rather have a terrorist as Governor of NC that massacred 77 people, rather than Cooper. All because you want HB2 to stand.  

^ Issues from the larynx (or meme) without involving the higher brain centers.