The Bad News Report

tozmervo

It's becoming clear that the gold line played heavily in a lot of the dealing. The anti-trolley crowd just got a major coup. 

"When pressed about possible timing of the Gold Line construction, CANNON responded 'It will happen in my administration.' CANNON stated, 'You know who you need to talk to. I got the City Manager working in the right place. He's working trying to get it done."

Wonderful.  I'd be shocked if the city got the small starts grant now.

Edited by birky

I hope this doesn't effect any economic developments or the Democratic stronghold on the city. I think it balances out the GOP dominated legislature.

Sucks big time.

the ONLY developments that I could see it MAYYYYBEE affecting (and thats a big maybe) is public works projects. Things like Tryon Place and 300 N Tryon will not be affected. Once this is out of the news cycle it will not be a big deal. We are not Detroit and always in the news for negative things, this will blow over as everyone has really short attention spans. Democrats could see a bit of a loss of support, but everyone needs to relax. Yes it sucks but long term....meh.

Edited by Jayvee

the ONLY developments that I could see it MAYYYYBEE affecting (and thats a big maybe) is public works projects. Things like Tryon Place and 300 N Tryon will not be affected. Once this is out of the news cycle it will not be a big deal. We are not Detroit and always in the news for negative things, this will blow over as everyone has really short attention spans. Democrats could see a bit of a loss of support, but everyone needs to relax. Yes it sucks but long term....meh.

I'm relaxed, I'm just annoyed that I trusted him and embarrassed it happened to us... And that he did it as mayor. And has been caught multiple times...

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

trying to look on the bright side here:

1) perhaps this will trigger the sale of a bunch of uptown parking lots in order to raise case for defense attorneys.

2) New Orleans is a pretty great city (if only we had 'go cups' to go with our corruption)

not so bright side:

His change of tune on the streetcar back in May / June certainly does look peculiar.

Edited by kermit

What I don't get is why now?  If they had the info four years ago, why not arrest him then?  In a city with a Council-Manager form of government, his role as a member of council would have been far more damaging than as a mayor where he's just the middle seat of the dais.  

Edited by Miesian Corners

What I don't get is why now?  If they had the info four years ago, why not arrest him then?  In a city with a Council-Manager form of government, his role as a member of council would have been far more damaging than as a mayor where he's just the middle seat of the dais.  

You don't make a federal arrest on "info".  You take that info and build a well supported case, which it appears the feds have here.  Reading through that criminal complaint is DAMNING.  I suspect this will be very "American Hustle" like, and we will likely get to see awkward videos of Cannon in that Southpark luxury apartment taking bribes he shouldn't have.  He's looking at 10 years in federal prison, this is serious stuff.

Edited by ah59396

wow everyone's a democrat, hmm

Corruption isn't owned by one Party and imagine that if these had all been Republicans, the RWM would be complaining that it a conspiracy by the President.

You can't win.  

It made NBC National nightly news, Brian Williams did give us props for being a beautiful city though. ..so that's nice...

There was an aviation expert (talking about the Malaysia Airlines disaster) on MSNBC this evening from Charlotte -- I had the sound turned down so I didn't catch his name - but the screen shot of the skyline in the background was one of the best I've seen used on national news yet.  

Ha ha, I saw that too. I both cringed and secretly was happy we were being mentioned on the national news. My god, i'm a dork.

Hahaha, exactly how I felt so you're not alone. I was just happy they showed an actual recent photo of uptown from RBP. Out-dorked yah!

“CANNON agreed to vouch for the (undercover agent) to foreign investors at a Las Vegas meeting by claiming that he used his influence as a City Council Member to assist in the construction of the Metropolitan – a mixed-use commercial real estate development in Midtown Charlotte."

So could this be the shady redacted developer??? Dun dun dunnnnnnn.

• Like 1

“CANNON agreed to vouch for the (undercover agent) to foreign investors at a Las Vegas meeting by claiming that he used his influence as a City Council Member to assist in the construction of the Metropolitan – a mixed-use commercial real estate development in Midtown Charlotte."

So could this be the shady redacted developer??? Dun dun dunnnnnnn.

:rofl:

Barnes Bio: http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/CityCouncil/MeettheCouncil/Pages/Michael%20Barnes.aspx

In the past he represented D4, which includes University City and a lot of the other burbs to the northeast side of Charlotte.

At least he has a law degree so he should be able to be smarter about skating around the law. :thumbsup:

So what happens now? Barnes is pro tem until the next election, or is a special election held?

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

"The city has yet to issue a statement on the process they’ll take, but state law mandates that Council appoint a new mayor. The appointee must be a resident of the city and of the same party as Cannon, a Democrat. The appointee does not have to be from Council or an elected official."

This is how Kinsey was selected last year when Foxx resigned to become the Sec of Transportation.