The Bad News Report

tozmervo

EDIT: Norfolk Southern is not affected by these problems but they can't provide fast service to/form Wilmington, Florida or much of the Gulf Coast. The CSX meltdown is a particularly bad time for the state since Toyota and Mazda are shopping NC megasites for a new car factory and two of the four sites are only served by CSX IIRC.

Please don't mention auto factory.  We have seen this story before and somehow state GA or whomever chokes at the last minute and NC looses out.  So when I see mentions like this I just keep scrolling, "nothing to see here".  The Volvo and MB scenarios really frustrated me.  How NC is the only SE state without a major automaker factory is beyond me and make me think it is a conspiracy.  No other way to explain it. 

Speaking of intermodal, I just saw a train with double stack containers rolling south through northern Oklahoma; wonder where it originated and where it is going?

3 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Some folks will find this good and other bad, but MLS team is NOT coming to CLT. Raleigh is still in play.  (to some this might have been obvious, but this is straight from MLS)

MLS commissioners didn't appreciate the jerk around. 

Disappointing for Charlotte for sure but I am all in for Raleigh. How can the MLS ignore such a big state as NC with 10 Million plus people? But I realize money talks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

Disappointing for Charlotte for sure but I am all in for Raleigh. How can the MLS ignore such a big state as NC with 10 Million plus people? But I realize money talks. 

Well, for Raleigh, it is more then just in play, they would have to try to not get the nod.

As much as I wanted Charlotte to have an MLS team, the Smith family truly went about this the wrong way. I remember when MLS announced that Charlotte was in the running and they wanted bids from the cities way to quickly I knew that the whole thing would be a disaster. The Smiths just need to stick with racing.....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Scribe said:

Some folks will find this good and other bad, but MLS team is NOT coming to CLT. Raleigh is still in play.  (to some this might have been obvious, but this is straight from MLS)

MLS commissioners didn't appreciate the jerk around. 

Do you have any source for this?  Not saying that you're wrong; it's been pretty obvious for a while now that Charlotte was at the bottom of the list for potential expansion cities.  However I can't find any media outlets to confirm that MLS is no longer looking at Charlotte.

On 6/8/2017 at 9:06 AM, elrodvt said:

The company I work for is changing their support for work at home demanding that all employees be in the office for "collaboration". 

While at the same time demanding 50% of the work be done offshore.

It's all about what magazine their CIO last read in first class while the private jet was in the shop.  These things are as cyclical as locusts and just a productive.

Just a counter point to this, I have worked from remote for close to 15 years.  It's hard.  It takes an effort to create a workspace and schedule that allows for productivity. I converted a bedroom in my house into an office.  Nothing goes in there unless it's related to my work.  I work the same schedule even though I make my own schedule.  

On the flip side, I have a couple of friends who also work remote or have a spouse that does.  One person has a desk in the playroom and another person works from the kitchen counter.  Running errands during the day is common and being on a conference call while cleaning the pool has happened before.  

Pretty sure moving people back to offices has more to do with productivity than collaboration.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cltbwimob said:

Do you have any source for this?  Not saying that you're wrong; it's been pretty obvious for a while now that Charlotte was at the bottom of the list for potential expansion cities.  However I can't find any media outlets to confirm that MLS is no longer looking at Charlotte.

No source that I can share - other then within MLS.

16 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Wish they'd go public and put it to bed.  Memorial renovation to 10,000 seats for our current team could be back on the table as it was a year ago.

Dunno about that now either, CLT Independece seems to like the Matthews Sportsplex...

3 hours ago, Scribe said:

Dunno about that now either, CLT Independece seems to like the Matthews Sportsplex...

From the owner of the Independence, it's a good solution compared to past like Ramblewood where they were guaranteed a $1-2M loss each season but the goal for them will be an Uptown location.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

It sounds like  the layoffs are permanent even though the company may emerge from bankruptcy. It is  too bad for their technology makes sense. One thing I did not know is that they are just leasing the site. I thought they bought the property but they were leasing. That could open up new manufacturers and yes I can dream the new Toyota Mazda plant site. Could we have in the metro area an auto plant site now?  http://www.independenttribune.com/news/to-lose-jobs-as-alevo-declares-bankruptcy/article_4a15eb14-843d-11e7-a186-2b926d6b1c4f.html

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

It sounds like  the layoffs are permanent even though the company may emerge from bankruptcy. It is  too bad for their technology makes sense. One thing I did not know is that they are just leasing the site. I thought they bought the property but they were leasing. That could open up new manufacturers and yes I can dream the new Toyota Mazda plant site. Could we have in the metro area an auto plant site now?  http://www.independenttribune.com/news/to-lose-jobs-as-alevo-declares-bankruptcy/article_4a15eb14-843d-11e7-a186-2b926d6b1c4f.html

Well let's just hope those that were making the decisions that lead to this are let go over the same time frame. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is bad news for our housing market. Big Wall street investment firms snapping up first time buyer homes all over Charlotte and they are not letting go of them, Turning some neighborhoods into huge rental SF home communities. Squeezes out first time buyers. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article170431257.html

• Like 3