The Bad News Report

tozmervo

From The New York Times, Monday, September 11, 2017  Business Day, The Upshot

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/09/09/upshot/where-should-amazon-new-headquarters-be.html?mcubz=0&_r=0

Dear Amazon, We Picked Your
New Headquarters for You

By EMILY BADGER, QUOCTRUNG BUI and CLAIRE CAIN MILLER SEPT. 9, 2017

In a competition to choose Amazon's second headquarters city, The Upshot compared the 52 US metros with over 1 M.   Charlotte was cut in the 3rd of 5 rounds.  At that point, Charlotte  was one of 14 cities still in the running for Amazon's new headquarters.  The prize:  a $5B investment and 50,000 new jobs over the next 2 decades for the winning city.   Amazon's 8-page criteria included:  (1) One Million People, and strong job growth; (2) a large and growing labor pool; (3) a high quality of life; (4) good transportation; and (5) real estate and incentives.   Here's what The Upshot said about Charlotte:

"As for the amenities, the winning region will also have the restaurants, outdoor recreation, cultural attractions and general cool of Amazon’s first home, Seattle. Urban economists suggest that such amenities are important to explaining the allure of cities. We asked the economist David Albouy to rank these metro areas for us with an index he uses to measure how much people would be willing to sacrifice, in terms of housing costs and commutes, to live in desirable places. On that basis, we cut Charlotte, N.C., and Indianapolis, because they rank lower on the cultural edginess that attracts young, educated workers."

According to The Upshot, Denver has the best shot at landing Amazon's HQ2.  

Let's hope Charlotte surprises the competition, The Upshot,  The New York Times, and Denver.

Edited by QCxpat

2 hours ago, QCxpat said:

From The New York Times, Monday, September 11, 2017  Business Day, The Upshot

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/09/09/upshot/where-should-amazon-new-headquarters-be.html?mcubz=0&_r=0

Dear Amazon, We Picked Your
New Headquarters for You

By EMILY BADGER, QUOCTRUNG BUI and CLAIRE CAIN MILLER SEPT. 9, 2017

In a competition to choose Amazon's second headquarters city, The Upshot compared the 52 US metros with over 1 M.   Charlotte was cut in the 3rd of 5 rounds.  At that point, Charlotte  was one of 14 cities still in the running for Amazon's new headquarters.  The prize:  a $5B investment and 50,000 new jobs over the next 2 decades for the winning city.   Amazon's 8-page criteria included:  (1) One Million People, and strong job growth; (2) a large and growing labor pool; (3) a high quality of life; (4) good transportation; and (5) real estate and incentives.   Here's what The Upshot said about Charlotte:

"As for the amenities, the winning region will also have the restaurants, outdoor recreation, cultural attractions and general cool of Amazon’s first home, Seattle. Urban economists suggest that such amenities are important to explaining the allure of cities. We asked the economist David Albouy to rank these metro areas for us with an index he uses to measure how much people would be willing to sacrifice, in terms of housing costs and commutes, to live in desirable places. On that basis, we cut Charlotte, N.C., and Indianapolis, because they rank lower on the cultural edginess that attracts young, educated workers."

According to The Upshot, Denver has the best shot at landing Amazon's new headquarters.  Let's hope Charlotte surprises The Upshot,  The New York Time, and Denver.

Where are you @RDF21?  We need our best artists, writers, and visionaries to design an award winning "cultural edginess" campaign in order for Charlotte to have a chance at landing Amazon's new headquarters.   

The study they used to come up with their "cultural edginess" score used Census Data from 2000. I understand that they needed to rely on something with some scientific validity, which is why the used that study. But, in fairness, think about how that hurts Charlotte as much as (more than) any city in the study. Think about the population growth and related amenities that have come to Charlotte in the past 17 years. I'm not blaming anyone (the journalists, the author if the study), I just think that this analysis is probably a little skewed when it comes to Charlotte (and perhaps some other cities they eliminated too).

• Like 1

On 9/6/2017 at 4:54 PM, Neo said:

There are some substantial 'under the hood' improvements like the ability for members to create 'clubs' (which are like mini-forums that you get to be in charge of) within the site. I decided to go with a more modern look. I know it isn't for everyone. Everytime I do an upgrade to the site and change the look I always get some that find it absolutely appalling. Most usually get used to the changes and I hope they are for the better of the site and its members. :tw_wink:

All I really want is for you to....forgive my lack of vocabulary... make that logo design what shows up when I add U.P. to my phone's home screen (and Google mobile's home screen), as opposed to just the "U" in the grey box.

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2017 at 4:39 PM, elrodvt said:

^ That's true but on the other hand, from personal experience, Denver has taken even larger steps forward in that period.  

Denver is in the middle of a population void outside of their metro.  Most of the other desirable cities being considered are within a days drive of millions of people.  It is a 10 hour drive to Omaha from Denver which I believe is the largest city within 600 miles, Being in the middle may be handy when the corporation depends on air transport, but with trucking requirements and quick deliveries, it is probably not the most feasible location. Denver is a great place, but maybe not the best choice in this case. 

24 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

Denver is in the middle of a population void outside of their metro.  Most of the other desirable cities being considered are within a days drive of millions of people.  It is a 10 hour drive to Omaha from Denver which I believe is the largest city within 600 miles, Being in the middle may be handy when the corporation depends on air transport, but with trucking requirements and quick deliveries, it is probably not the most feasible location. Denver is a great place, but maybe not the best choice in this case. 

Unsure how transportation logistics come into play here for Denver.  This is for office jobs, no?  

That said, agree 100% that everything outside of Denver and around it is a PITA to get to.   I have read where some are saying that Boston, NYC and DC have the advantage of being on the  Acela Express line.  Which is a true that Charlotte does not have.    But, thinking out loud here, I would assume Amazon is looking at this move over the next 30 years not just on present day.    So I wonder if they are considering future light rail potential rather than current light rail potential.  And if so,  Charlotte is between Atlanta and Raleigh...and one could look at that and say that's similar to the advantages that NYC and Philly have in being in the middle on the Acela Express.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjd5050 said:

Unsure how transportation logistics come into play here for Denver.  This is for office jobs, no?  

That said, agree 100% that everything outside of Denver and around it is a PITA to get to.   I have read where some are saying that Boston, NYC and DC have the advantage of being on the  Acela Express line.  Which is a true that Charlotte does not have.    But, thinking out loud here, I would assume Amazon is looking at this move over the next 30 years not just on present day.    So I wonder if they are considering future light rail potential rather than current light rail potential.  And if so,  Charlotte is between Atlanta and Raleigh...and one could look at that and say that's similar to the advantages that NYC and Philly have in being in the middle on the Acela Express.  

I believe that for the Charlotte light rail will only be considered a plus when it reaches out to more points of the metro where the employees of such a company would live, i.e. Lake Norman area, South Charlotte and Ballantyne. I personally feel that improved/expanded rail service is inevitable with the increasing traffic problem throughout the city. Driving is becoming more and more of a pain. At least, interstate rail service is available here and will improve, I hope.  I believe as you mentioned that the jobs  will mostly be office jobs, but really good paying jobs (I think).  I am pulling for Charlotte, not holding my breath, but feel it would also be a great choice. 

6 hours ago, caterpillar2 said:

I believe that for the Charlotte light rail will only be considered a plus when it reaches out to more points of the metro where the employees of such a company would live, i.e. Lake Norman area, South Charlotte and Ballantyne. I personally feel that improved/expanded rail service is inevitable with the increasing traffic problem throughout the city. Driving is becoming more and more of a pain. At least, interstate rail service is available here and will improve, I hope.  I believe as you mentioned that the jobs  will mostly be office jobs, but really good paying jobs (I think).  I am pulling for Charlotte, not holding my breath, but feel it would also be a great choice. 

Not sure I buy this.  One side is wrong.  I live in South Charlotte.  I love it.  I did downtown San Diego in a high rise condo.  South Charlotte is not that.  It's suburbia.    Amazon can't say their employees need culture and cool in the RFP and then say they need mass transit to suburbia.  Those are conflicting.  

Amazon workers are going to be able to afford South Charlotte and Lake Norman.  They are just most likely not gonna live there.  At least IMHO.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

Not sure I buy this.  One side is wrong.  I live in South Charlotte.  I love it.  I did downtown San Diego in a high rise condo.  South Charlotte is not that.  It's suburbia.    Amazon can't say their employees need culture and cool in the RFP and then say they need mass transit to suburbia.  Those are conflicting.  

Amazon workers are going to be able to afford South Charlotte and Lake Norman.  They are just most likely not gonna live there.  At least IMHO.  

Yeah that is what I think too. I know Denver is full of techy transplants from CA wanting the same "cool vibe" along with access to skiing, hiking and tons of sun. The airport is pretty cheap with tons of competition and directs. 

It's not nirvana and no one but Amazon knows how they will evaluate their options but CLT  or RTP are very different options than Denver.  BOS, Northern VA or NYC puts you right back into the CA cost of living issues.

Philly or Pittsburgh could be interesting though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

San Diego isn't much different from Charlotte except for the navy. I havefamily in Chula Vista and Bonita which used to be a great place. They had a mini ranch in the back of their house. But, San Diego was pretty suburban itself.   It was always my favorite city in California. It does have the best weather in the world that I have seen so far. 

San Diego is indeed a fine city but has no chance with Amazon.  The one problem: it is in the most costly state to do business  California,  unless they build the office over in TJ and people commute across the border.  However all the $100K salaries would be subject to California income taxes if they live in San Diego county.   Join the jovial discussion of Amazon over at the Amazon thread. According to what I am seeing Charlotte has NO chance or is a guaranteed lock or maybe somewhere in between.   This is like looking at Hurricane spaghetti plots 10 days out from landfall! 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, elrodvt said:

^where is the gaslight  & Petco Park (to give a couple examples of many)  in Charlotte? I don't know how old you are but I think you need to look at this from the perspective of a 20-30 y/o. This coming from an old guy. ;-)

Do quite understand your question.  Gaslight Park is in Seattle and Petco Park is a ball park in San Diego.  What is your point?

11 hours ago, caterpillar2 said:

San Diego isn't much different from Charlotte except for the navy. I havefamily in Chula Vista and Bonita which used to be a great place. They had a mini ranch in the back of their house. But, San Diego was pretty suburban itself.   It was always my favorite city in California. It does have the best weather in the world that I have seen so far. 

Sorry but Chula Vista and Bonita are not San Diego, they are 'south county'  Say so is like saying Fort Mill is Charlotte.  

The reason you think San Diego is pretty suburban is due to mistaking San Diego County and the City of San Diego.  San Diego County is 4,526 sq mi.   Mecklenburg in comparison is 546 sq mi.  The city of San Diego is about the size of Mecklenburg County at 372.39 sq mi.   Most of the land in San Diego County is low density as you remember.  

11 hours ago, elrodvt said:

^where is the gaslight  & Petco Park (to give a couple examples of many)  in Charlotte? I don't know how old you are but I think you need to look at this from the perspective of a 20-30 y/o. This coming from an old guy. ;-)

It's Gaslamp and that's downtown.  Petco Park, built in 2004, anchors East Village.  The downtown of San Diego is night and say from what it was when I moved there in 2001.  Petco Park was a huge catalyst to that.  The East Village is very much the hip / creative part of town.  

• Like 1

Waaaaay off topic so this will be one post only.  I lived in Oceanside, Mira Mesa (a SD neighborhood), La Mesa, San Diego proper, Jamul.  I consider all "San Diego" (more than I consider Fort Mill to be Charlotte, even though it's close and was once home to the Knights).   State lines matter.  I still visit twice a year, lived there for ~20.  That's my opinion.

2 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

I think he's saying you're out of touch when it comes to speaking about San Diego.

I responded to what I read which was "Gaslight Park," not "Gaslamp park."  I   didn't understand his question and the relevance of the two places that were mentioned. I still don't.  "My being out of touch" is irrelevant.   We are going "Waaaay off topic" as JBS said.  
B"

On 9/5/2017 at 8:59 AM, CLT2014 said:

UTC Aerospace Systems (HQ'd in Charlotte in the airport office parks) is one of four divisions of United Technologies (HQ'd in CT). The division HQ is made up of highly paid management positions responsible for $14.5 billion in sales and 41,000 employees. 

United Technologies announced today they are purchasing Rockwell Collins, headquartered in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The UTC Aerospace Division and Rockwell Collins will be merged into a new division called "Collins Aerospace Systems." The CEO of Rockwell, Kelly Ortberg, will be the CEO of the Collins Aerospace Systems division.

While Charlotte is home to 300 positions for UTC Aerospace, Rockwell Collins has 8,000 employees in Cedar Rapids. The HQ of the division has not yet been announced -> in bad news report due to the high level of risk Charlotte loses status as the HQ for Collins Aerospace Systems to Cedar Rapids, Iowa. 

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/business/wsj-united-technologies-to-buy-rockwell-collins-for-reported-23-billion-20170904

This article makes it seem more likely that Charlotte actually remains the HQ.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/business/rockwell-collins-utc-ceos-speak-with-grassley-about-acquisition-20170915&ved=0ahUKEwj1_sTFg6rWAhXn5oMKHWIGA3IQqQIIKCgBMAE&usg=AFQjCNH_V8OM2jBDJBI7rqQmliCA4FrZ5Q

I'm sure incentives will be involved...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

Sorry but Chula Vista and Bonita are not San Diego, they are 'south county'  Say so is like saying Fort Mill is Charlotte.  

The reason you think San Diego is pretty suburban is due to mistaking San Diego County and the City of San Diego.  San Diego County is 4,526 sq mi.   Mecklenburg in comparison is 546 sq mi.  The city of San Diego is about the size of Mecklenburg County at 372.39 sq mi.   Most of the land in San Diego County is low density as you remember.  

It's Gaslamp and that's downtown.  Petco Park, built in 2004, anchors East Village.  The downtown of San Diego is night and say from what it was when I moved there in 2001.  Petco Park was a huge catalyst to that.  The East Village is very much the hip / creative part of town.  

Sorry typo.  I just want to point out caterpiller that when you're being a homer  it's hard to see where we need to improve and progress stalls.  CLT is not close to many of these cities from an URBAN perspective and I expect that is what a lot of 20-30's are looking for.