The Bad News Report

tozmervo

31 minutes ago, papadog said:

I wish Rubio's Fish tacos was here in CLT,  as a fast food option, other than going to Ru Ru's and the likes....

Oh man, yessss!  They have them in Florida now though I think they are a bit different than those on West Coast.  I still order the Pesky Combo (even though it's not on the menu) every time I'm in LA and SD.  That would be my first choice of fast food franchises for Charlotte (even over In-N-Out).  

Okay, I'll back off on SoCal talk now...

37 minutes ago, papadog said:

I wish Rubio's Fish tacos was here in CLT,  as a fast food option, other than going to Ru Ru's and the likes....

Check out Sabor for fast casual. The Burrito Factory on South is also good. Anita's is delicious over by the airport. Also Fonda Mexicana El Paraiso and Tamaleria Laurita.

Edited by CLT2014

On 9/18/2017 at 3:29 PM, JBS said:

Dale trolling?  Hard to believe...

/rant/

Yea, I know he is trolling. But the problem (IMO) is he has become the Russian bot of UP. When he makes ridiculous statements without support (these statements have recently included: "urban millennials don't exist",  "everybody on UP but Dale consumes biased media," " white supremacists don't exist in the US," "HB2 was not a negative for the state", "the US was wrong to enter WWII" etc.) we all shrug it off as just trolling. However, there is a bigger issue here. His rhetorical technique (intentional or not)  creates an opening for smaller doubts to creep into our subconscious -- this is just human nature for many of us ("OK, since I dismissed his statements about urban millennials not existing, I probably owe him the benefit of the doubt on this bike lane issue." Another way to think of this strategy is we may want to reward him for suddenly being reasonable -- this is exactly the same process that put a moron in the White House).

I am certainly not comparing UP to the presidential election, nor am I suggesting that dissenting opinions should be unwelcome. I am saying that comically ridiculous statements that are made without supporting evidence  should be recognized for what they are -- corrosive wads of propaganda that might be designed to further a political agenda  -- they are unlikely to be attempts to contribute to discussions of urban change in Charlotte.

I apologize for giving Dale too much credit and not giving enough credit to everybody else here -- but just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. 

/rant/

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ESPN to base ACC Network in Bristol CT where it has a huge operation. While on the surface this is bad news for Charlotte I think this shows how cheaply ESPN,which is losing money big time, has to produce it. This is a function in my opinion of ESPN woes not any reflection on Charlotte. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article174017706.html

• Like 1

Team ENVY that moved here with big fan fare they are now following the money to Dallas. Evidently the money dried up here. https://www.dallasnews.com/business/sports-business/2017/09/18/official-e-sports-pioneer-team-envy-announces-relocation-dallas-big-investment-oil-baron  Oil money! 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

I'm a millennial with lots of millennial friends. Clt is considered a great place to be. And so is the triangle. Or Asheville. That's about it for NC. 

The biggest thing is for stuff to be new or old and renovated. Exciting and different things.

So, fish tacos and microbrews are more important to a lot of us than an adequate road system. Noda and south end with the light rail are heaven for the "millennial."

And obviously by looking at the numbers, millennials do love clt.

Edited by Nick2
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

I'm a millennial with lots of millennial friends. Clt is considered a great place to be. And so is the triangle. Or Asheville. That's about it for NC. 

The biggest thing is for stuff to be new or old and renovated. Exciting and different things.

So, fish tacos and microbrews are more important to a lot of us than an adequate road system. Noda and south end with the light rail are heaven for the "millennial."

And obviously by looking at the numbers, millennials do love clt.

Also Wilmington area is pretty popular among millennials. Charlotte is continuously voted the top place that Millennials move to.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bad news for Charlotte good news for York County and the region. New headquarter of Diversey spin off from Sealed Air moving to vacant Muzak building in York County. 400 jobs moving from NC to  SC. I guess my question that is not answered in these stories is that didnt NC give incentives based on 1200 jobs for NC and now some are going to SC?  NC has good clawbacks if they are needed.  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article178280686.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/10/11/diversey-sold-by-sealed-air-to-leave-charlotte.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=scroll&ed=2017-10-11&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1507751662&j=7897520

This is a lateral for the region no gains no losses. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Bad news for Charlotte good news for York County and the region. New headquarter of Diversey spin off from Sealed Air moving to vacant Muzak building in York County. 400 jobs moving from NC to  SC. I guess my question that is not answered in these stories is that didnt NC give incentives based on 1200 jobs for NC and now some are going to SC?  NC has good clawbacks if they are needed.  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article178280686.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/10/11/diversey-sold-by-sealed-air-to-leave-charlotte.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=scroll&ed=2017-10-11&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1507751662&j=7897520

This is a lateral for the region no gains no losses. 

Glad Diversey is staying in the Charlotte area - I thought they were going back to Wisconsin where most of their workforce who hadn't relocated still lives. Now looks like they are moving them down here. Unsurprising they picked Fort Mill - most of the families that relocated ended up moving there, not out by the airport. 

Edited by CLT2014

More Wells Fargo bashing from the state of California this time the treasurer. From the San Fran Business Journal

"California Treasurer John Chiang said Monday that he’s extending sanctions against Wells Fargo & Co. for a second year and questioned why Tim Sloan, a 30-year veteran of the company, is CEO of the San Francisco-based bank, which Chiang said may be too big to succeed.

“It is no wonder some are calling for its break-up. Others are demanding that its leadership structure be dismantled and replaced,” Chiang said in a letter to the bank’s board and CEO Monday. “As you know, I too have questioned whether Mr. Sloan’s three-decade tenure within Wells Fargowould allow him to be the change-agent leader Wells Fargo so desperately needs."

Dear Wells Fargo:  Please move your headquarters out of California to Charlotte. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, KJHburg said:

More Wells Fargo bashing from the state of California this time the treasurer. From the San Fran Business Journal

"California Treasurer John Chiang said Monday that he’s extending sanctions against Wells Fargo & Co. for a second year and questioned why Tim Sloan, a 30-year veteran of the company, is CEO of the San Francisco-based bank, which Chiang said may be too big to succeed.

“It is no wonder some are calling for its break-up. Others are demanding that its leadership structure be dismantled and replaced,” Chiang said in a letter to the bank’s board and CEO Monday. “As you know, I too have questioned whether Mr. Sloan’s three-decade tenure within Wells Fargowould allow him to be the change-agent leader Wells Fargo so desperately needs."

Dear Wells Fargo:  Please move your headquarters out of California to Charlotte. 

Wouldn't that be great, besides all the jobs and influx of people. We would have one hell of a dick measuring competition in the form of new bank towers!!!

• Like 4