The Bad News Report

tozmervo

7 hours ago, rancenc said:

I take these survey's reliability the same as The National Enquirer's track record on accurate information.  This include good and bad rankings...a lot of information is dated and the methodology can be so convoluted, the same survey within 12 months can have complete opposite.  I tend to look at surveys in industry related journals like Site Selection for a more accurate picture of economic health of a region.

I was just scrolling through some random stories & thought I'd share. I do recognize the source, so it wasn't meant to be taken too seriously. 

• Like 1

Job growth in the Charlotte area in 2017 was 2.41% and projected this year is 1.74%  however all this makes Charlotte one of the top 20 fastest growing cities.

Here is the article from Forbes   doesn't sound too bad to me.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samanthasharf/2018/02/28/full-list-americas-fastest-growing-cities-2018/#2304fb757feb

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

Not sure who you're addressing here since you'd be hard pressed to find any evidence of me getting excited about any poll on here. Stupid or otherwise. 

I think he was addressing rancenc's point about survey methodology but quoted you instead. I think. 

• Like 2

On 6/2/2018 at 3:00 PM, HighRiseHillbilly said:

North Carolina is one of the worst states to find a job, apparently.

https://www.theladders.com/career-advice/these-are-the-states-with-the-best-and-worst-jobs

The source study ranked New Jersey as the 4th best for economic environment.  If that's true, I don't want to be good in their eyes.  

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Canada and Mexico's host cities are finalized. However the 17 US locations that made this final round will now compete against each other in negotiations to be one of the 10 host cities actually selected.

My guess is the 10 cities selected will be among the largest cities in the USA: New York for the finals, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Atlanta, Boston, Washington DC, and Philadelphia. Wildcard is if Denver gets one for geographic representation in the plains/mountain region. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jtmonk said:

Doesn't surprise me that Nashville is on the list.  They were awarded a MLS expansion team and have added a ton of new hotel rooms, they deserve to host a game. 

Nashville also has strong international recognition and interest due to the music industry, so it really wouldn't surprise me to see them make the cut.

• 2 weeks later...

This is good news bad news depending what side of the equation you are on.  Yardi Matrix predicts a large oversupply of apartments in the next 2 years and I dont know if they count just under construction or proposed too.  (that would make a big difference)  Bad news for developers and will slow down any towers uptown in particular which already has a higher vacancy than the city as whole.    Good news is that rent growth will slow and maybe even flat line and concessions for new apartments will go up.   Well capitalized developers like Lennar and Northwood Ravin may continue onward but other developers may stall (without mentioning any names think of a large parking garage built not opened) 

https://www.connect.media/what-markets-are-at-risk-of-multifamily-supply-overload/?utm_source=mlNational&utm_campaign=mlNational-2018-06-28_15:31-What_Markets_are_at_Risk_of_Multifamily_Supply_Overload_&utm_medium=email&utm_term=united-states top-na apartments development research&utm_content=What_Markets_are_at_Risk_of_Multifamily_Supply_Overload_&pid=ece4ef0e-7c87-4bfe-bfbb-bca494433d09

download the report here

file:///C:/Users/kjclt/Downloads/Matrix-Multifamily-Demand-Jun-2018.pdf

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

For what it is worth I heard today that AIG is looking to expand their footprint in Charlotte in addition to the audit roles previously mentioned.  Don't know what kind of numbers we are talking, but the sense I got was that it could be a significant strategic move to over the next couple of years.  Here is to hoping they could  move out of BB&T and help fill one of the new towers.

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Insurance companies are consolidating their offices for more efficiencies and especially out of expensive areas.  Remember Allstate is adding 2250 jobs in Charlotte biggest single jobs expansion in Charlotte history.  They are filling those jobs now but have a long way to go.   Before that AXA said it would add 550 jobs in Charlotte.  And 2 different people on UP have mentioned AIG expanding here.   Charlotte IS benefiting from insurance consolidation as we have an attractive workforce versed in finance and insurance, low costs and lots of people are moving here.     Arch Capital is a great win for Raleigh but there are plenty more out there.  I am always in favor of new jobs in NC over any other state and yes that includes SC.  

I personally think a strong Charlotte is a strong NC, not vice-versa.  It’s not like NC is using big incentives to snag us jobs. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, navigator319 said:

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-and-least-educated-cities/6656/

IMO this is the type of ranking Charlotte needs to find a way to climb.

#3 = Durham-Chapel Hill, NC

# 8 = Austin

#13 = Raleigh, NC

#23 = Atlanta

#52 = Charlotte

#61 = Nashville

Notice that America's "It City" ranks below Charlotte. No rail, no book learnin', yet everyone wants to be there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3