The Bad News Report

tozmervo

46 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I am NOT saying Amazon is locating their HQ2 in NC.   I am  saying I think it will be for sure in the USA as opposed to Canada.    I think Amazon HQ2 will land in the DC suburbs or Atlanta .  As for Apple  locating in NC I will take that bet $20  worth of doughnuts from my Krispy Kreme donated to the uptown police station!  

I split my time between being secret CEO of Krispy Kreme while serving on the Amazon Planning Board and taste tester for McDonalds burgers among just a few of my  many business endeavors.    Not to mention the Legacy pyramid top builder when on vacation. 

You weigh taxes far grater than anything else it seems. Why not are tech companies like Google, Uber, Twitter, Facebook not relocating their entire headquarters by now?  Again, careful with your absolutes. Toronto's on the shortlist and that's fact. 

Edited by mpretori
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

^^^ Not to just the suburbs the entire metro area 700 jobs is a lot of jobs.  Maybe some will be able to get on with other retailers based in the area like Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Belks but probably only some.   However our overall local economy is very strong and many with transferable skills should be able to find employment somewhere in the metro area.     That is the biggest mass layoff in years in Charlotte.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kermit said:

Serious hit to the burbs. Family Dollar and 700 jobs will be gone from Matthews:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article218588135.html

not to make light of a terrible situation, as I feel for all the people who will be relocated, or out of a job, but this would make a great location for a Panthers Practice facility.

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

not to make light of a terrible situation, as I feel for all the people who will be relocated, or out of a job, but this would make a great location for a Panthers Practice facility.

The players might prefer this to driving to SC and I think it would be cool since I'm not far away.  That said, I really think it will be in SC and that it will be a MASSIVE development with office, homes, retail, an outdoor stadium, indoor and outdoor practice fields and state of the art training and multimedia facilities.  I expect it will be similar to the massive new Vikings complex.  I base this on nothing more than Tepper's comments (but that's a lot).  He wants something in SC so that when he consolidates training camp and regular practice facilities SC is still involved.  He also made it clear that he wants a mixed use development and that he is very focused on the NFL arms race.  Not to mention the $11 billion...

10 minutes ago, JBS said:

The players might prefer this to driving to SC and I think it would be cool since I'm not far away.  That said, I really think it will be in SC and that it will be a MASSIVE development with office, homes, retail, an outdoor stadium, indoor and outdoor practice fields and state of the art training and multimedia facilities.  I expect it will be similar to the massive new Vikings complex.  I base this on nothing more than Tepper's comments (but that's a lot).  He wants something in SC so that when he consolidates training camp and regular practice facilities SC is still involved.  He also made it clear that he wants a mixed use development and that he is very focused on the NFL arms race.  Not to mention the $11 billion...

Not to add to the insensitivity of the situation for those affected but The Star in Frisco is 91 acres.  Using an area mapping tool this area can be about 108 just on the Family Dollar land and some to the tracks, not counting current businesses that would be behind the facility that I can imagine being bought.  Not to mention being on Silver Line in the future.

https://www.thestarinfrisco.com/

image.png.ba8e22530c43f3e9617512476070b9a5.png

10 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Not to add to the insensitivity of the situation for those affected but The Star in Frisco is 91 acres.  Using an area mapping tool this area can be about 108 just on the Family Dollar land and some to the tracks, not counting current businesses that would be behind the facility that I can imagine being bought.  Not to mention being on Silver Line in the future.

https://www.thestarinfrisco.com/

image.png.ba8e22530c43f3e9617512476070b9a5.png

The distribution center is not being closed per that article, which is the majority of what you're highlighting. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some may not see this as bad news but I have family and friends that work in IT at Duke Energy so its bad news for me so I figured I would share.

All of the below information is fact. Its happening as we speak, its not a rumor or hearsay.

Duke Energy is laying off between 130-180 people in the IT fields. IT includes (Telecom, Computer Hardware/Software Support, Think tanks(automation teams), etc.)

32 of the people will be in a management position. The rest will be worker bees.

Anyone who has been at Duke for 20 years is being asked if they want to volunteer to leave the company and take the severance package.  The official clock starts on Monday Oct 8th 2018 and they will have until Oct 29th 2018 to say "yes" or "no".  Everyone MUST give an answer, ignoring them is not an answer.

From Oct 29 2018 to Nov 9 2018 the executive management will review who said yes and will decide if they can afford to lose that person. for example: if they are the only person in the company that knows how to do "abc." they will not get rid of them even if they said yes.  If they do not get enough people to say "yes" they want to leave, the executive management team will start selecting "poor performers" and telling them to leave. When that happens you do not have a choice, you still get a severance package but you must leave.

If you volunteer to leave or not the severance package remains the same. Here is the offer:

The person will get 2 weeks of pay per year of service with a maximum payout of 1 year.  so if you have been working there for 30 years you still only get 1 year of severance as that is the max.

Some may say well at least you get a severance... but you are still losing your job, and have to find another one while competing with all the other people that got laid off. Its not fun and I hope no one here gets "chosen".

Edited by GoldenRat
Fixed a year error

1 hour ago, GoldenRat said:

Some may not see this as bad news but I have family and friends that work in IT at Duke Energy so its bad news for me so I figured I would share.

All of the below information is fact. Its happening as we speak, its not a rumor or hearsay.

Duke Energy is laying off between 130-180 people in the IT fields. IT includes (Telecom, Computer Hardware/Software Support, Think tanks(automation teams), etc.)

32 of the people will be in a management position. The rest will be worker bees.

Anyone who has been at Duke for 20 years is being asked if they want to volunteer to leave the company and take the severance package.  The official clock starts on Monday Oct 8th 2018 and they will have until Oct 29th 2018 to say "yes" or "no".  Everyone MUST give an answer, ignoring them is not an answer.

From Oct 29 2018 to Nov 9 2018 the executive management will review who said yes and will decide if they can afford to lose that person. for example: if they are the only person in the company that knows how to do "abc." they will not get rid of them even if they said yes.  If they do not get enough people to say "yes" they want to leave, the executive management team will start selecting "poor performers" and telling them to leave. When that happens you do not have a choice, you still get a severance package but you must leave.

If you volunteer to leave or not the severance package remains the same. Here is the offer:

The person will get 2 weeks of pay per year of service with a maximum payout of 1 year.  so if you have been working there for 30 years you still only get 1 year of severance as that is the max.

Some may say well at least you get a severance... but you are still losing your job, and have to find another one while competing with all the other people that got laid off. Its not fun and I hope no one here gets "chosen".

It is always bad to be downsized, but with the labor market as tight as it is and especially in technical fields like IT, these folks might be swooped up immediately by other companies!

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

That has been the same plate design since 1983. That phrase isn't going anywhere, unless the state as a whole redesigns the plate, and even if that occurs I don't see the phrase changing. 

• Like 2

Well we could put First in UPC Bar code,  First in Astroturf,  First in AIDS drugs, First in Container Shipping, First Gold Rush in US, etc. but they just dont fit as well.

how about this First in Control Alt Delete function! 

NC compiled a list for the Amazon pitch here it is

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/north-carolina-highlights-innovations-to-attract-companies-including-amazon-to-be-its-next-first-300556176.html

Yet Ohioan continue to come to " NC by coming en masse every summer to each one of our beaches including the "windy hills" of Kill Devil Hills that is on the Outer Banks. From Currituck to Brunswick county Ohioans are a HUGE part of tourism dollars and not to mention visiting our mountains and our Piedmont.

Edited by KJHburg
  • Thanks 2