The Bad News Report

tozmervo

What's the odds Dollar Tree is bored of VA and wants to move its HQ to Charlotte and Tryon Place is the perfect project for them and they become the anchor tenant?

Low considering FD said "some" employees will have the option to relocate to Chesapeake VA.

So annoying to lose a Fortune 500

What is their connection? I'm not familiar.

The Levine's founded Family Dollar.Howard Levine is the CEO.

Leon Levine was the founder. His son runs it today. Daniel Levine is Leon's nephew. Leon, Daniel, and Daniel's father own the land in First Ward, but I'm not sure what the ownership breakdown of that land is.

Edited by Niner National

The Levine's founded Family Dollar.Howard Levine is the CEO.

Leon Levine was the founder. His son runs it today. Daniel Levine is Leon's nephew. Leon, Daniel, and Daniel's father own the land in First Ward, but I'm not sure what the ownership breakdown of that land is.

OH! ahahaha that makes sense. thanks

What's the odds Dollar Tree is bored of VA and wants to move its HQ to Charlotte and Tryon Place is the perfect project for them and they become the anchor tenant?

Ha...really the only thing that is compelling for Charlotte is the mega airline hub if they value easy access to all the cities where they are located...plus NC would give them wheelbarrow loads of cash to come here.

Seeing as their CEO has been with the company since 1999....he's probably relatively comfortable in Norfolk, VA, but you never know.  He's 62, so maybe his successor will be open to moving, but I get a sense that most of the corporate jobs already here will be long-gone before then.  The only optimism I can find is that Family Dollar will be operated as its own brand, but that could be nothing more than not changing signs, and everything else is gone.

There will be some HR and executive changes, but I imagine most of the positions at the FD HQ will remain intact. FD stores are remaining and the two brands will be operated independently, so most of the every day positions will still be necessary.

I'm sure we'll have job losses, but I think we were facing those even if this buyout didn't happen. I think this will be more of a perception hit for the region than anything else.

Since 2008, we've lost the HQ's for Harris Teeter, Family Dollar, Goodrich, and Wachovia. This has resulted in few job losses (I think United Technologies and Wells Fargo actually employ more people now than they did before they bought Wachovia and Goodrich, but I'm not certain), but it still stings to see your city lose Fortune 500 companies.

There will be some HR and executive changes, but I imagine most of the positions at the FD HQ will remain intact. FD stores are remaining and the two brands will be operated independently, so most of the every day positions will still be necessary.

I'm sure we'll have job losses, but I think we were facing those even if this buyout didn't happen. I think this will be more of a perception hit for the region than anything else.

Since 2008, we've lost the HQ's for Harris Teeter, Family Dollar, Goodrich, and Wachovia. This has resulted in few job losses (I think United Technologies and Wells Fargo actually employ more people now than they did before they bought Wachovia and Goodrich, but I'm not certain), but it still stings to see your city lose Fortune 500 companies.

Those weren't really a product of companies leaving Charlotte though. I don't know how much control the city has of its companies being bought out/merged with, but yeah definitely sucks to have a HQ knocked off the list.

Edited by Jayvee

Those weren't really a product of companies leaving Charlotte though. I don't know how much control the city has of its companies being bought out/merged with, but yeah definitely sucks to have a HQ knocked off the list.

I know, and there is nothing a city can do about it. Just sucks for perception is all I'm saying. The city hasn't really suffered from those HQ losses, but we used to be like top 5-7 for # of Fortune 500 companies. Not sure where we are now.

I know, and there is nothing a city can do about it. Just sucks for perception is all I'm saying. The city hasn't really suffered from those HQ losses, but we used to be like top 5-7 for # of Fortune 500 companies. Not sure where we are now.

Sealed Air Corp. at least covers the FDS fortune 500 loss.

• Like 1

Sigh...  Carl Ichan gets his way again, to the detriment of Charlotte.  I so hate that guy.

That man makes his money by buying up stocks in a business and then making them sell, which increases the money he gets from the stocks. What a schemer.

• Like 1

Not to drag this off topic, but....

http://www.philanthropicpeople.com/profiles/carl-icahn/

So, while his business strategies sometimes lead to job losses, a share of his profits create jobs and promote opportunities. 

Thanks for that link. I was kind of curious what his giving was like, especially since it's not a name that's otherwise well known around Charlotte (like Levine, McColl, etc.)

Ichan's a real prince.  Just ask anyone who worked for TWA.

I can't help but hate guys like this.  I understand business is business and this guy is one of the best.  But he is already a billionaire.  I can't imagine being so greedy that I'm set for life, but still having no problem effectively causing 1000's of people to lose their jobs so I can make a little more on my recent stock purchase.  Maybe that's why I'm poor. :hi:

• Like 2