The Bad News Report

tozmervo

20 hours ago, Dale said:

Interesting how Portman used to be persona non grata among urban types, They said he built cold fortresses.

he did. i mean, he was certainly a successful developer, but he was no friend to urban landscapes. I think he's single-handedly to blame for how awful downtown Atlanta still is to this day. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

To each their own but a quick look at his work in Atlanta reveals some very interesting buildings to my eyes. The Marriott Marquis looks amazing. I’m in ATL this weekend, I’ll have to go look in person. 

The Marriott Marquis in Atlanta is  largely dreadful from the street level and a fortress.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7619796,-84.3841626,3a,75y,224.48h,87.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_qRCD0zeMDj3OdCmfJQx3Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7609174,-84.3844267,3a,75y,332.05h,107.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smhh7Xj-KBgKaj3FwiDlClA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7617291,-84.3859861,3a,75y,120.39h,90.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgY6lpeuoBuFkAGWvuPhRwg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

NC related rather than Charlotte specific, but Alabama's governor will be announcing they won the Toyota-Mazda plant tomorrow.

Articles are stating the deciding factor was the supply chain network was not as robust in NC  compared to Alabama for passenger vehicle manufacturing. 

Edited by CLT2014

Toyota has as engine plant  very near Huntsville they just expanded and that could have something to do with it if these reports are true. Also I do believe the incentives will be out of this world for  them too so we will wait.   We did get one megasite taken the one near Rocky Mount with the Chinese tire maker.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jednc said:

Then you are saying NC should have offered more?

Not really, I am just saying that the reason given is always going to be PC.

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Toyota has as engine plant  very near Huntsville

Proximity is very important for a JIT operation, maybe NC was just a tool to squeeze out more incentives out of Alabama.

What NC offered was incredible to Toyota Mazda but it really did come down to the suppliers nearby and their engine plant near the Alabama site.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/01/10/commerce-secretary-n-c-offered-more-than-1-5.html?ana=e_clt_bn&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1515623323&j=79482731

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Scribe said:

I call BS, look at the numbers (tax incentives) tomorrow, pretty certain those numbers are going to be the real reason.

So, NC was never in the running it seems: https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/01/10/commerce-secretary-n-c-offered-more-than-1-5.html

We were being played against Alabama the whole time.

NC offered north of $1.5 Billion in incentives to Alabama's ~$379 million.

Healthy Home Market is done.  I actually shopped at the store with my wife on Tuesday and quickly got the sense that they would not be in business long.  Lots of conspicuous gaps on the shelves.  The staff was nice, though,  Hope they all land on their feet.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/01/10/healthy-home-market-unable-to-find-buyer-closing.html

• Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...

Emily Harris at Charlotte Agenda has 5 smart ideas for what to do about Charlotte "beige."

Idea No. 3.  Fresh Building Shapes.

A crazy donut-square like 325 Kent in Williamsburg, Brooklyn

• Like 2

12 hours ago, QCxpat said:

Emily Harris at Charlotte Agenda has 5 smart ideas for what to do about Charlotte "beige."

Idea No. 3.  Fresh Building Shapes.

A crazy donut-square like 325 Kent in Williamsburg, Brooklyn

I'm not sure I get why this is bad news?

1 hour ago, jednc said:

I'm not sure I get why this is bad news?

Emily Harris at Charlotte Agenda said it best:  "Charlotte’s new apartments are routinely called bland, beige or even reminiscent of Soviet barracks.  In many cases, that reputation is well-earned."

In a related story, also written by Ms. Harris, that appeared in Charlotte Magazine (entitled "Fighting Back Against Ugly Buildings in Charlotte"), Ms. Harris writes:

"LET'S JUST ADMIT Charlotte’s architecture is not that good,” architect and planner Tom Low says. He’s standing in front of a roomful of people at the Levine Museum of the New South one October evening, clicking through a slide show of examples that support his point." 

"Members of the audience sit around tables, jotting down notes or listening silently as he delivers this diagnosis. No one speaks up to disagree with him." 

"They know Charlotte has recently been taken over by self-replicating mutant apartment buildings that are frighteningly beige and banal, with only the occasional flourish of glued-on-looking corrugated metal. No one is stopping these mutants from spreading."

“Charlotte’s known nationally—internationally—among developers for being a place where it’s easy to build,” UNC Charlotte Prof. Emeritus David Walters (formerly Director of UNCC's Master of Urban Design Program) says. “Top developers don’t want to come here. There’s no appreciation for good work. How can they protect their investment? Their investment isn’t protected; they can build something wonderful and someone else is allowed to put up a concrete wall across from it.”

Many new apartment buildings lining South Boulevard fail to create inviting public spaces.

Link to Charlotte Magazine story (click open link in new tab):  http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/December-2015/Fighting-Back-Against-Ugly-Buildings-in-Charlotte/

N.B.:  The rap on Charlotte's reputation for building new apartments which many architects view as bland or "beige" is, of course, bad.  Sorry, if I misplaced this.  Perhaps it should have gone in the thread for "Perception of Charlotte Nationwide."  Thanks. 

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, QCxpat said:

Emily Harris at Charlotte Agenda said it best:  "Charlotte’s new apartments are routinely called bland, beige or even reminiscent of Soviet barracks.  In many cases, that reputation is well-earned."

In a related story, also written by Ms. Harris, that appeared in Charlotte Magazine (entitled "Fighting Back Against Ugly Buildings in Charlotte"), Ms. Harris writes:

"LET'S JUST ADMIT Charlotte’s architecture is not that good,” architect and planner Tom Low says. He’s standing in front of a roomful of people at the Levine Museum of the New South one October evening, clicking through a slide show of examples that support his point." 

"Members of the audience sit around tables, jotting down notes or listening silently as he delivers this diagnosis. No one speaks up to disagree with him." 

"They know Charlotte has recently been taken over by self-replicating mutant apartment buildings that are frighteningly beige and banal, with only the occasional flourish of glued-on-looking corrugated metal. No one is stopping these mutants from spreading."

“Charlotte’s known nationally—internationally—among developers for being a place where it’s easy to build,” UNC Charlotte Prof. Emeritus David Walters (formerly Director of UNCC's Master of Urban Design Program) says. “Top developers don’t want to come here. There’s no appreciation for good work. How can they protect their investment? Their investment isn’t protected; they can build something wonderful and someone else is allowed to put up a concrete wall across from it.”

Many new apartment buildings lining South Boulevard fail to create inviting public spaces.

Link to Charlotte Magazine story (click open link in new tab):  http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/December-2015/Fighting-Back-Against-Ugly-Buildings-in-Charlotte/

N.B.:  The rap on Charlotte's reputation for building new apartments which many architects view as bland or "beige" is, of course, bad.  Sorry, if I misplaced this.  Perhaps it should have gone in the thread for "Perception of Charlotte Nationwide."  Thanks. 

Oh ok. I get where you are coming from. I was thinking of the story as not bad news because I think she has a good point and her suggestions are good (whether you agree with her specific examples for solutions or not). So, I agree with you I was just looking at it the opposite way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1