The Bad News Report

tozmervo

Just now, kermit said:

That a large portion of residents and the press believe that the NCGA is moving the state backwards rather than forwards.

Yeah, I realize that and consider them political hypochondriacs. FYI: I don’t mean to be, let alone stay surly, I’m just not inclined to accept certain assertions as neutral-givens.

10 minutes ago, Dale said:

Yeah, I realize that and consider them political hypochondriacs. FYI: I don’t mean to be, let alone stay surly, I’m just not inclined to accept certain assertions as neutral-givens.

Which is the point I am trying to make. It doesn't matter why people believe things. If our economic development policy is going to remain dependent on attracting firms from other places then perception alone is going to cause problems. 

How many thousands of people now think that Apple (or Amazon) didn't come to Raleigh because of culture? How likely is it that those perceptions won't filter down to the next CEO (or spouse) of a tech firm considering a move to NC?

IMO burying our heads in the sand (e.g. dismissing this crowd as hypochondriacs) isn't going to improve the situation.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dale said:

Dale, basically most cultural issues you argue with people about are the ones which make us a backwater. :tw_smiley:

• Like 1

Not anything that will surprise anyone living and renting in Charlotte but Charlotte's rent have gone up among the fastest of cities in US.  Part of this I believe is everyone is building luxury apartments and we need more basic apartments or smaller ones.

https://smartasset.com/checking-account/top-10-cities-with-the-largest-rent-increases-2018-edition

The other IT city Nashville is on this list as well.   But because of higher incomes here Charlotte rent as percentage of income is still lower than Nashvilles and within the guidelines.  However of course the trend is troubling.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Not anything that will surprise anyone living and renting in Charlotte but Charlotte's rent have gone up among the fastest of cities in US.  Part of this I believe is everyone is building luxury apartments and we need more basic apartments or smaller ones.

https://smartasset.com/checking-account/top-10-cities-with-the-largest-rent-increases-2018-edition

The other IT city Nashville is on this list as well.   But because of higher incomes here Charlotte rent as percentage of income is still lower than Nashvilles and within the guidelines.  However of course the trend is troubling.  

I wish Charlotte would have more microunit or really small one bedrooms for cheaper. If they can fit in 50% more units can't they charge equivalently less to make the same profit? As a single guy, living in a 400-500 sq foot apartment is perfectly doable. Especially if it we're within a couple blocks of the blue line, even if it was on the lower end of southend or north of noda.

• Like 4

Dang - We're all such development junkies, what's going to happen to us if/when recession strikes the country?  What was this UP forum like during 2008-2010 recession when projects ground to a halt?  It's unimaginable to me to not have Charlotte growing like gang-busters with major projects (Office, Hotel, Residential, Corporate Relo's, etc.).  I'm so spoiled I guess.

If that happens in the coming year/years - I guess I'd be too busy looking for work or trying to survive financially to care...?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Dang - We're all such development junkies, what's going to happen to us if/when recession strikes the country?  What was this UP forum like during 2008-2010 recession when projects ground to a halt?  It's unimaginable to me to not have Charlotte growing like gang-busters with major projects (Office, Hotel, Residential, Corporate Relo's, etc.).  I'm so spoiled I guess.

If that happens in the coming year/years - I guess I'd be too busy looking for work or trying to survive financially to care...?

It’s one thing to predict a recession, quite another tp predict a pictures falling off the wall crash like 2008. That was historical. Even still, life continued. Still made money. And my attention was redirected to cities where stuff was still happening. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Well. In 2005, it was the same as now. Some posters posted pics daily, announcements everywhere, skyline renderings from RDF, instead of Eli we had another guy at Charlotte Observer that focuses on Development. 

2008 came, the board got much slower. The development section of CO pretty much went away. No more of the weekly development columns I can’t remember what they were called. I think the guy was called Doug Smith. No more KJ type posters taking pics. Etc 

A couple years into it, maybe 2011, SouthEnd started to catch fire. I remember Ah seemed the most excited and the SouthEnd apartment boom was the most significant thing. But we also had Romare, Knights Stadium to look forward to. 

I want to say RDF, he can correct me if I’m attributing it to the wrong person (but it was someone super credible) said the courthouse was probably the last chance for a skyscraper we would see for a long time. It came across as, well. No more buildings for us ever again. We all hoped to get a tall courthouse like Cleveland.

The outfield of BB&T was exciting. And Embassy Suites was like, such an Amazing score and then holy cow, Element was being built. Finally, a skyscraper.

other cities started to boom, skyscrapers commenced and Raleigh got a Skyhouse announced and it was being built there. It was annoying because Raleigh faired wayyyy better than CLT and it felt like we were going to fall behind. Then next thing you know.... this development boom happened and we’re kicking most cities butts in the development world. We got a slower start, but I feel like we jumped up to the top. 

Long story short. If crap hits the fan. Civic projects will be what we look forward to. Greenways, gateway, mass transit, libraries,  stadiums, etc. Anything with public money or LIHTC housing. 

I think it was ATLRVR and I who said we wouldn't see a skyscraper in a long time. Back then the courthouse was going beside the arena and a complete new build, so we had a better shot at Cleveland size. I think that UP definitely survived even though the content was light, and really the development cycle never really ended, it just SLOWED WAY DOWN. 

2 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Real estate recession will be mild. Urban multifamily and Class B urban office will struggle. Few deals will go bust because leverage is low and almost all of the deals are cash flowing.

Construction prices come back into balance 24-36 months later. Rinse. Repeat.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think it was ATLRVR and I who said we wouldn't see a skyscraper in a long time. Back then the courthouse was going beside the arena and a complete new build, so we had a better shot at Cleveland size. I think that UP definitely survived even though the content was light, and really the development cycle never really ended, it just SLOWED WAY DOWN. 

I've been here since 2004 but have a username until 2006.  2005-2008 was almost as active as now. Things were still decently active back after the recession, but more pessimistic. I remember it fondly, even if things were slow. Does anyone remember MONSOON? Hated that guy... banned me for a week over nothing.

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I've been here since 2004 but have a username until 2006.  2005-2008 was almost as active as now. Things were still decently active back after the recession, but more pessimistic. I remember it fondly, even if things were slow. Does anyone remember MONSOON? Hated that guy... banned me for a week over nothing.

Yes, then Monsoon’s name changed, but the reign of terror continued.  I actually fear posting about this because it may return...

26DDC721-7360-47AA-BB65-BBA8292900FA.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yes, then Monsoon’s name changed, but the reign of terror continued.  I actually fear posting about this because it may return...
26DDC721-7360-47AA-BB65-BBA8292900FA.png.dc0cd7de37060f5f50111e480e077439.png

I once got so banned by that guy I had to change my name and move to nyc. I kid.
But really nobody better say his name 3 times, he’s like beetlejuice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, rancenc said:

I wonder what's going on with Freddy's.  A few years ago they opened a store around the corner from where I now work in Cary, and when was cruising around this past weekend I noticed that it was closed as well.  Must have just closed recently because when I drove past a couple weeks ago it was still open.

• Thanks 1