The Bad News Report

tozmervo

11 minutes ago, Durhamite said:

I  truly  think it's the lack of a large urban university/school in the city that promotes such a stifling (sterile) attitude and perspective from  outsiders.   

Hmmm, I don't know about that one chief 

There's this little area called University City in Charlotte, I would start my search there for a large urban university to see if we have one

Edited by Trickbot
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sclark said:

44 minutes ago, Durhamite said:

Really?  Good news?  Surely you jest with the economic lost. That is mighty small-minded and exactly the kind of sentiment that makes Charlotte seem less tolerate than RDU, Richmond, Tidewater and other larger cities (Atlanta, DC, Baltimore, etc).   I  truly  think it's the lack of a large urban university/school in the city that promotes such a stifling (sterile) attitude and perspective from  outsiders.   Meaning, any large contingent of African Americans gets lumped into one category (dangerous).  And surely many locals have/had fingers crossed that a shooting or other incident would malign the event to extension in the city....absurd.  I'll continue to support Charlotte (having lived there) and any city in NC, but anyone one could sense many locals had issues with the event, too many of "them".  Over the decades I have attended the CIAA event in Tidewater, Richmond, RDU, Triad as it moved around without that level of borderline tension of disdain to a degree.  Charlotte's venue is great but there's a certain element of intolerance that I sensed  with some of the host locations that made me question...why have it here?  This will always be banker/NASCAR land and events like these aren't suited for the metro area.   I didn't think Charlotte could handle Cam Newton's personality.....it really can't for a lot of people (even Panther's fans love him and hate him).  I rant because this really irks me....hopefully this kind of attitude isn't pervasive.

This is complicated for me.  I agree with both of you.  When I stop and think about it though it feels like there was a problem with the event leadership, not the attendees.  I think the organizers couldn't get their hands around what they wanted this week to be and how to pull it off better.  I think the organizers needed to invest more money in pulling the week off, with the same being said for the city possibly.  There was not enough institutional support in terms of money and organizational prowess to make this work in CLT.  I hope they find a better home in Baltimore and it work out for all.  

• Like 1

Just now, tozmervo said:

Don't most tournaments move around periodically?

Yes most do.  My feelings are that they will be back in 3-5 years.  Charlotte is the perfect size city for this tournament.  Baltimore is bigger and they might get lost in the shuffle without all the excitement and attention they would get here.  But best wishes for them and lets go after another tournament since their dates are when others have tournaments too.   In my opinion they should have looked at Raleigh for this too but didn't.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Durhamite said:

Really?  Good news?  Surely you jest with the economic lost. That is mighty small-minded and exactly the kind of sentiment that makes Charlotte seem less tolerate than RDU, Richmond, Tidewater and other larger cities (Atlanta, DC, Baltimore, etc).   I  truly  think it's the lack of a large urban university/school in the city that promotes such a stifling (sterile) attitude and perspective from  outsiders.   Meaning, any large contingent of African Americans gets lumped into one category (dangerous).  And surely many locals have/had fingers crossed that a shooting or other incident would malign the event to extension in the city....absurd.  I'll continue to support Charlotte (having lived there) and any city in NC, but anyone one could sense many locals had issues with the event, too many of "them".  Over the decades I have attended the CIAA event in Tidewater, Richmond, RDU, Triad as it moved around without that level of borderline tension of disdain to a degree.  Charlotte's venue is great but there's a certain element of intolerance that I sensed  with some of the host locations that made me question...why have it here?  This will always be banker/NASCAR land and events like these aren't suited for the metro area.   I didn't think Charlotte could handle Cam Newton's personality.....it really can't for a lot of people (even Panther's fans love him and hate him).  I rant because this really irks me....hopefully this kind of attitude isn't pervasive.

NASCAR land?

I get the sense Washington DC is a less tolerant place than Charlotte and much more divided.  African Americans here are definitely lumped much more into a “dangerous” category it seems than in Charlotte. Charlotte’s racial divide seems like peanuts compared to DC.

201501-291544.png

I think you live in an overly romantic vision of the racial utopia that are some other cities. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

The tournament should be held where it is wanted and appreciated. Atleast in Baltimore the attendees won’t be subjected to any type of “CIAA tax”.  North Carolina is home to many of the HBCUs represented by the CIAA, Charlotte is the best place for the tournament to be held because many of the attendees genuinely love Charlotte. A lot of the negative sentiment for the CIAA tournament sounds familiar to Myrtle Beach’s negative sentiment towards Black Bike Week.  I thought Charlotte was better than that. I’ll end my rant there.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Seaboard Fellow said:

I believe greater income inequality in DC as compared to Charlotte probably fuels those negative descriptions of African Americans as well.  

My point wasn’t to insert another city in the discussion, it’s basically to say assertions that Charlotte is an intolerant place or not welcoming to blacks or full of nascar white people who think blacks are dangerous is so far off base. And Baltimore is like... the worst “example” of tolerant white people not casting African American communities as dangerous gangland. Or Washington for the matter. Not sure about Richmond, but I do know Charlotte... and the insinuations you guys are making couldn’t be further from the truth. 

That’s just my opinion. If your opinion is that Baltimore is a better place where the whites in the region have rosy visions of the inner city African American neighborhoods, well then that’s what you think. 

This was definitely a negative for CLT - Losing the tournament and accompanying economic activity.  I do think that the CIAA will be back here most definitely for two (2) reasons.  

1 - They won't like Baltimore venues more than Charlotte and turnout will be down I believe.

2 - Charlotte city leaders will be more robust with their incentives package.

Tournament is only in Bmore for 2 or 3 years.  They'll be back here but with the taste of incentives will probably continue to rotate to different cities every few years so no one takes their constituents economic power for granted.

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Yes most do.  My feelings are that they will be back in 3-5 years.  Charlotte is the perfect size city for this tournament.  Baltimore is bigger and they might get lost in the shuffle without all the excitement and attention they would get here.  But best wishes for them and lets go after another tournament since their dates are when others have tournaments too.   In my opinion they should have looked at Raleigh for this too but didn't.  

I'm wondering if this decision is in part due to the city possibly scrutinizing the CIAA more and more after recent problems. Maybe city leaders are demanding costly safety improvements that may hinder the convention's growth here. Attendance was down last year and I wouldn't be surprised if it decreases a little more this year. Conventions can tend to get somewhat stale when it's been in the same location for a long time so a change of scenery may give it a boost. The tourism dollars lost will certainly hurt though.

• Thanks 1

One interesting thing about Baltimore is that the CIAA will be playing in a much smaller arena than Charlotte's.   Since their basketball game tickets have declined might be good for them.

Royal Farms Arena  
Royal Farms Arena[2] (originally the Baltimore Civic Center and formerly Baltimore Arena and 1st Mariner Arena) is an arena located in Baltimore. The Arena is located about a block away from the Baltimore Convention Center on the corner of Baltimore Street and Hopkins Place; it is also only a short distance from the Inner Harbor. It seats 11,100 and can be expanded up to 14,000, depending upon the event. The Arena is owned by the city of Baltimore and is currently managed by SMG, a private management company.  Built in 1959.   from wikipedia. 

^^^^ and yes we should go after the Conference USA tourney.  In Frisco?  that is a far north Dallas suburb.  Think how exciting it would be to be in uptown Charlotte.  

the long knives are coming out.  From twitter  very interesting about the Hornets

Frustration boiling over from #CLTCC Democrat James Mitchell over loss of @CIAAForLife. He says @CLTTourism assembled a "piss-poor bid" that was a "proposal to lose." Also says @hornets didn't want tournament to stay at @spectrumcenter, says team wasn't good partner on bid

• Like 1

I am going to give the residents of CLT benefit of doubt about the percieved "annoyance" about the CIAA tournament.  I am certain there were those who didnt want the participants coming to town,  Thats reality; some folk let there biases manifest themselves in to tangible reactions.  However, the majority of people I know are not that way and I assume that its that way in CLT.  Now, my opinion is that this was a economic decision.  Attending a tournament can be expensive and I know that attendance was down.  I have friends who are allumi of CIAA universities.  I can tell you the location change to Baltimore will not help nor motivate better attendance.  I am surprised Raleigh was not chosen though so is there some bias against NC.  Maybe, but realistically could be simply dollars and cents decision.  CIAA got the best deal and Baltimore got a tournament.  As for the Hornets, not sure whats up witht that.  Why Jordan did not play nice for this event I am curious.  Anyone have any smart speculation?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Charlotte can now bid for the Conference USA basketball tournament with UNCC as "host" with the games at Spectrum Center.  

C-USA currently holds it's tourney in Frisco, TX but the contract is up after this year.  There is nothing unfeasable about hosting two tournaments a year starting with the CIAA/ACC in 2019 and CIAA/C-USA in 2020, then C-USA from 2021 onward.

The 14 teams in C-USA are spread out from Texas to Virginia but a quick glance shows that CLT airport has flights to almost every metro area where C-USA campuses are located.  The CRVA should get moving to fill the hole...

That'd be nice but I suspect very few people will come. It's not a prestige conference & the type people travel for. I'm just going from my attendance at other low level conference tournaments and seeing the empty seast on tv in Birmingham. 

• Like 1