tozmervo

The Bad News Report

1 hour ago, Dandy Chiggens said:

Not really surprising.  Charlotte has some very 'progressive' City Council  members views police as domestic terrorists so I am not surprised they are understaffed, underfunded, and probably have low morale.  

Three posts up is a link that indicates CMPD is not understaffed.

IIRC CMPD officers received a 6.5% raise last year.

A quick look at Glassdoor suggest that officers are generally satisfied with pay and sound generally positive about the department.

Sounds like you have a political axe to grind....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, kermit said:

Three posts up is a link that indicates CMPD is not understaffed.

IIRC CMPD officers received a 6.5% raise last year.

A quick look at Glassdoor suggest that officers are generally satisfied with pay and sound generally positive about the department.

Sounds like you have a political axe to grind....

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/9-investigates/9-investigates-cmpd-officers-take-on-secondary-jobs-because-of-low-pay/820608763

I'm sorry but lol @ using Glassdoor as a source.   Also one pay raise cant instantly fix low morale and burned out officers.  After the riots here a few years ago I cant blame an officer if he/she wants to take a more passive approach to doing their job.   Law Enforcement did less policing in Baltimore for the same reasons and the murder rate exploded.  

Mark Michalec, president of the Fraternal Order of Police, said that while many officers like having the option of a secondary employer, some have to work extra because of low pay at CMPD.

“We are being overworked,” Michalec said. “We need to get more officers in here, better pay, better benefits.”

I dont have any kind of political axe to grind.  Its not my fault most of the demonizing of police and military generally comes from one side of the aisle.    Have you ever gone to war or worked a shift in a high crime area and then read the news and see your profession demonized?

Edited by Dandy Chiggens
  • Like 2

I did some amateur research  a year or two ago to count the sworn officers in Meck County and with CMPD plus sheriff deputies plus town PD staff and UNCC and CMS police and HP in the county and others, it was close to one officer per 250 population. Too lazy to refresh my research but is that enough? Recall that sworn means required to enforce the law 24/7. Caveats abound.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brendv7 said:

I wish we could get together all the “police are terrorists” people along with all the “police are warriors whose boots should be licked” people and put them on an island where they can argue with each other and leave everyone else alone. 

I haven't ever seen anybody argue the second point. 

On 2/25/2019 at 9:18 PM, elrodvt said:

Need to understand where staff goes vs crime. I have my opinions....

CMPD has said they are having a hard time focusing resources with how spread out this years homicides are. Crime is ranging from a double homicide last night near Rhino Market, to the double homicide in Ballantyne (police new this guy was a risk), to drive by shootings in each quadrant of the city. 

Last night's double homicide has bumped us up to 10th highest homicide rate nationwide with 24 homicides (one every other day this year).  We are just below Detroit and Philadelphia at 8th and 9th. 

2017 was the most violent year in the last 25 years.... and by this same point was only at 17 homicides. We could very easily crack the 100 mark and end up with the 3rd highest murder rate in the Southeast after New Orleans and Jacksonville. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

Unfortunately more officers normally doesn't impact domestic type homicides, which made up 19 or the 25 murders so far in 2019.

No doubt CMPD is understaffed, but just hiring won't help in this area I'm afraid. 

• Thanks 4

On 3/9/2019 at 3:48 PM, rancenc said:

The continuing shake up of brick and mortar retail...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/07/investing/charlotte-russe-closing/index.html

One less thing to compete with "Charlotte" on google searches. (It appears first)

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

this is bad news if you were parked in this lot in east Charlotte today.   Someone hijacks an Medic ambulance and ......

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/watch-man-crashes-stolen-medic-truck-into-multiple-vehicles-police-say/936049958

At least it was one of their old buses, he might of actually did them a favor lol. I'd try to cash out with insurance for a new one. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This is terrible 2 people shot dead 4 injured at UNCC today in Kennedy building.  Shooter is a student according to reports

I love this city but this city has a violent crime problem that needs to be cured.  Please PRAY for the safety of everyone in this city and we need to pray for peace over this city.  I am sick and tired of the murders in this town it is out of control.  

Please do not make this political debate but get on your knees and pray for this city and its residents, its students, everyone . This violence needs to stop! 

Amen!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

@KJHburg, I thought Charlotte was a bit below average for it's size?

Not sure but the rapid increase of murders this year is very alarming.  If you can find that information please share it.  

• Like 1

From a quick search on the webs show that a good percentage are domestic or the victims knew their killers. Unfortunately the police can't do much for those. But the drug, robbery, violent crime related ones they can, they are just really short staffed. Not as many people want to be police officers anymore. 

Edit: Here's the first quarter link from CMPD. This was released April 3rd so it's already out of date.

https://charlottenc.gov/CMPD/Safety/Pages/CrimeStats.aspx

Edited by 11 HouseBZ
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This is terrible 2 people shot dead 4 injured at UNCC today in Kennedy building.  Shooter is a student according to reports

I love this city but this city has a violent crime problem that needs to be cured.  Please PRAY for the safety of everyone in this city and we need to pray for peace over this city.  I am sick and tired of the murders in this town it is out of control.  

Please do not make this political debate but get on your knees and pray for this city and its residents, its students, everyone . This violence needs to stop! 

I didn’t hear anything about it until friends told me. Didn’t really make headlines at all. Some new sites had it on the website but Way down the list, not obvious 

My point to that it’s just so sad that mass shootings are so common place, it’s no longer shocking people can be gunned down at universities.... 

• Like 1