The Bad News Report

tozmervo

1 minute ago, CLT> said:

Charlotte being 50th in Economic Mobility has arguably been the biggest news story in the city for the past 3 years. That The Atlantic story was more a profile on Chetty and the tools they are creating to help Charlotte and other cities move forward and change that.

I knew we weren’t knocking it out of the park in that category. Somehow missed that it has been “the biggest news story.” Maybe it it has been overshadowed by murders, riots and intrigue regarding Krispy-Kreme.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The worse part is that Charlotte got snubbed with the N.C attachment, whereas Raleigh Durham gets the pass. What gives!? 

But anyways, not a ranking you would really want to climb to the top of :ph34r:

A2

Cabarrus County scammed out of $1.7 M in wire transfer scam.     SunTrust and Bank of America both involved.  https://www.cabarruscounty.us/news/cabarrus-county-targeted-in-social-engineering-scam      This has been done in residential real estate closings as well and yours truly was almost key word almost scammed in this way.   People keep inventing new ways of evil. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Cabarrus County scammed out of $1.7 M in wire transfer scam.     SunTrust and Bank of America both involved.  https://www.cabarruscounty.us/news/cabarrus-county-targeted-in-social-engineering-scam      This has been done in residential real estate closings as well and yours truly was almost key word almost scammed in this way.   People keep inventing new ways of evil. 

I have heard this happening between private owners and contractors, too. It seems crazy, but I guess it's easy to let your guard down with something that's otherwise routine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the vendor, in such a case, is compromised in a way that allows the conspirator to know of email addresses, email content and communications then the request can look exactly the way previous messages have appeared, salutations, names, wording, vocabulary, context of messages and so on. The account numbers are also part of the scam but the human to human interactions can look precisely the way the previous authentic messages appeared.

• Like 1

In my case I got an email from a listing agent or one with one character different saying wire the funds to this branch in Scottsdale AZ.  I immediately called her and asked why would my client wire funds  to bank in Arizona?   The listing agent's email was changed but same name etc.  I guess residential real estate  and attorneys have caught on to this scam but now they are going after the big bucks in commercial.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Thanks 1

There's a reason why the IRS has to send out a PSA each year telling people you cannot pay your taxes with iTunes gift cards, because each year people fall for the same scams. There's real issues with older segments of the population (and apparently school administrators) that don't understand that email addresses, names, phone numbers, etc. can be spoofed and that your bank will never call you on the phone to discuss your account or send an email with wire instructions. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, mpretori said:

But of course Council Members Dimple A and Braxton W are to interested in nonsensical "political grandstanding" to worry about this safety statistic!!:tw_astonished:https://www.aviationpros.com/airlines/news/21090006/some-charlotte-city-council-members-are-putting-pressure-on-american-airlines

Edited by rancenc
  • Like 1

If someone is in an abusive intimate relationship with a partner chances are far higher. If there is (are) a gun (guns) in the house) a multiplier applies.

I spent years working in a program for male abusers and the thinking process is not like that for many other men.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2

Unfortunately as Charlotte continues to grow into one of the big boys nationally, it's going to start having some of the big problems like rise in violent crime and traffic. But CLT has the opportunity of being able to spearhead these problems before they get worse.

6 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

What's the status of the "Big Bang" transportation plan? Was it ever anything more than a nice idea? Widespread Rail needs to be well underway, but as far as I can tell the Silver line is the only portion that is actively under any sort of development? (Not counting the Gold line street car)

Not sure if CATS will include it but there’s a slight chance that once the ‘Big Bang’ Funding Plan is made public and marketed next year it could potentially include the Blue Line Extension towards Pineville/Ballantyne if they get to full design work soon.  Not holding my breath though...

I whole heartedly agree with the above statement.   The Arts Funding Tax and now Near-Term Tepper/Stadium Funding issue/uncertainty will throw a monkey wrench into things.  I do believe that CATS is shooting for having a Referendum Placed on the 2020 Ballots (they’d be crazy not too b/c having on the ballot in a non-presidential election cycle would be the death-knell of Transit expansion).  It’s just more complicated now - taxpayers will only take the Government coming to them with tax increase proposals so many times....

Edited by Hushpuppy321

• 2 weeks later...