The Bad News Report

tozmervo

14 hours ago, mpretori said:

NCDOT cutting up to or over 1,000 jobs.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article233969157.html

I don't normally read comments on articles but the comments on this article nailed exactly what I thought, with the Berger/Moore axis declaring a surplus, could the "peoples' money" not be used to adequately fund the work performed by NCDOT? I realize there are some which could benefit from the $200 as a tax rebate they might get right before an election year (am I being cynical?).

Living in Charlotte, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that outside of a few relatively wealthy areas in the major population centers (Asheville, Charlotte, the Triad, the Triangle and Wilmington as well as mountain retreats and beach towns), our state is crushingly poor. A few weeks ago, I pulled off in the Triad in a place I always thought of as well off and was surprised at how poor everything looked. We really do live in a bubble in Charlotte, especially if our life is mostly lived within about two miles of uptown and in the wedge from South Tryon to Independence, the airport and UCity.

Edited by davidclt

54 minutes ago, davidclt said:

I don't normally read comments on articles but the comments on this article nailed exactly what I thought, with the Berger/Moore axis declaring a surplus, could the "peoples' money" not be used to adequately fund the work performed by NCDOT? I realize there are some which could benefit from the $200 as a tax rebate they might get right before an election year (am I being cynical?).

Living in Charlotte, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that outside of a few relatively wealthy areas in the major population centers (Asheville, Charlotte, the Triad, the Triangle and Wilmington as well as mountain retreats and beach towns), our state is crushingly poor. A few weeks ago, I pulled off in the Triad in a place I always thought of as well off and was surprised at how poor everything looked. We really do live in a bubble in Charlotte, especially if our life is mostly lived within about two miles of uptown and in the wedge from South Tryon to Independence, the airport and UCity.

My comments should probably be constrained to the POLITICAL section, but remember elections are next year!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rancenc said:

My comments should probably be constrained to the POLITICAL section, but remember elections are next year!!

Well, I'm unable to move it but it's still bad news when 1,000 people lose their jobs and there isn't the POLITICAL will to save what to my mind is a core function of government (providing usable roads for transportation). I'm not intending to fight this one out though. My 2¢.

• Like 3

It will be interesting to see what affect the new tariffs that were imposed by the Trump administration will have on construction as they go into effect this month.  I received a notification from our largest supplier that due to the tariffs, most of our metals are going up anywhere from 5% - 18% starting tomorrow.   The specific field I am in is somewhat insulated, however new construction will certainly feel the hit and depending on how long the tariffs last could exacerbate a slow down in new construction.

Another indicator I have been following is the slow down in all areas of commercial architecture.   For the past two months this has been showing a weakening in commercial real estate demand, with inquiries for new projects at the lowest point in a decade, and overall design contracts down significantly as well.  I've been saying it for several months now - a recession is coming, and I think a lot sooner than most people are expecting.  Most projections have us about a year to two years out; I think by Q1 of next year we will be feeling some of the sting.  The big question mark is how big of a recession is looming on the horizon.

• Like 2

^ based on the number of job openings the commercial location decision industry (e.g. grocery store and fast food expansions) has been in decline for more than a year. As an indicator hiring in the industry is usually about 18 months ahead of the economy.

Edited by kermit

5 hours ago, kermit said:

^ based on the number of job openings the commercial location decision industry has been in decline for more than a year. As an indicator it normally runs about 18 months ahead.

National trucking companies are going bankrupt monthly it seems. 8,000 retail closings this year already.  And RV sales down drastically. Manufacturing PMI down also. All bad for Charlotte and all bad for the United States and is not making America great again. 

Edited by mpretori
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, A2. said:

It will be one you will tell your grandkids about. The best thing to do is prepare. How long until the vice grip tightens is a fools game (best guess is we are entering the early stages now, with the real bust sometime within the next eighteen months). The fact that debt on all levels (corporate, personal, and sovereign) is at levels never seen in our lifetimes, it’s safe to say that when the bubble pops, it will be catastrophic.

The problem is that the stock market is so manipulated, the best indicator will be the ones we see on Main Street and not Wall Street. 

Just remember it’s a recession when your neighbor loses their job, it’s a depression when you lose yours. 

I hate being the bearer of bad news, but things are ugly out there and with the Geopolitical issues seemingly getting hotter by the day(Brexit, Hong Kong, China, etc),  we are truly cruising on borrowed time.  

Get out of debt, raise cash, and always keep a level head. 

The one good piece of news is that Charlotte is actually better prepared than most cities with an influx of new residents and a more diversified economy than the last recession. That said, any slow down WILL have a material impact on development.

A2

I've been here long enough to remember the original A2. It was all doom, gloom and melodrama then too. 

8 hours ago, A2. said:

Ps—-if you want data points as to the why this market and economy are in trouble focus on the Bond market. It’s the canary in the coal mine. And right now, it’s screaming recession. Not to mention we have trillions in sovereign debt with negative yields. This is an insane situation and the resulting effects are more dire than I have the time to type up.

Can you throw us a bone on the effects of all the sovereign debt with negative yields? It's something that's perplexed me for a while. I've figured it's going to cause problems but I don't know what exactly.

Can’t say it’s just me. Here is a geeky article on what is really going on underneath the surface. Again I could tag a hundred different articles, but suffice it to say that all that we are told by the talking heads that all is well  isn’t exactly truth. 

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-09-03/us-manufacturing-weakest-10-years-new-export-orders-collapse

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pretty awesome that I not only live in a boom town, but have all these brilliant econ minds, like A2, in the area.

I remember several folks at BOA and Wells remarking (4-5 years ago) that the cycle will be over around 2019.  Okay, it's been delayed a few months, but the natural cycle seems to be kicking in, regardless of what you may think about the president and/or conspiracies to do him in. ;-)

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

Pretty awesome that I not only live in a boom town, but have all these brilliant econ minds, like A2, in the area.

I remember several folks at BOA and Wells remarking (4-5 years ago) that the cycle will be over around 2019.  Okay, it's been delayed a few months, but the natural cycle seems to be kicking in, regardless of what you may think about the president and/or conspiracies to do him in. ;-)

Indeed. Charlotte has a wealth of great people and talent. It will continue to be a magnet for years and decades to come for those seeking a higher quality of life with amenities galore and natural beauty all around from the Mountains to the Coastal region .

As I said before, recessions are all but certain in our economy. The great news is the people of Charlotte have a lot to be thankful for in spite of any future recession. And when the cycle booms again, Charlotte will be there to pick up where it left off. I personally believe it will still be building through the next downturn, albeit at a slower clip. 

A2

• Like 2

Really appreciate all this info, @A2. I'm in the process right now of trying to figure out what to do with a small amount of money we have (do we stay in our current house and renovate a little and wait for the crash to buy a rental property, do we stay in our current house and buy a rental property now, or do we buy a new primary residence now and keep our current house as a rental), so it's nice to get another opinion from someone knowledgeable.

5 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Really appreciate all this info, @A2. I'm in the process right now of trying to figure out what to do with a small amount of money we have (do we stay in our current house and renovate a little and wait for the crash to buy a rental property, do we stay in our current house and buy a rental property now, or do we buy a new primary residence now and keep our current house as a rental), so it's nice to get another opinion from someone knowledgeable.

I would not look for any crash in housing properties to wait to buy a rental homes.  Prices may come off their highs but does that mean crash in prices.  Rental home purchases should be looked as long term investment income stream.  All my rental properties when down in value in the 2008/2010 period all have recovered but I continue to own them so even when they dipped it prices it had no affect on me.  Large number of homes in the market that are rentals are own by institutional investors and they would love to squeeze out me the mom and pop investor (won't ever happen while I am alive)

It is much tougher to get a mortgage loan nowadays and even if unemployment goes up and foreclosures go up I don't think we have the level of foreclosures we had in 2008-2010.   

• Like 1