The Bad News Report

tozmervo

file under "inevitable":

‘Difficult but... necessary.’ Belk confirms dozens of layoffs at corporate office

Charlotte-based Belk has cut about 80 corporate positions, a company spokeswoman confirmed Monday.

[....]

The company had about 1,200 employees in 2018 at its Tyvola Road headquarters in Charlotte, down 200 people from two years prior, the Observer previously reported.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article240362496.html

Edited by kermit

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Nordstrom up here here laid off a couple hundred folks in their Corporate.  Don't know if it made news of not. Retail is automating mundane repetitive tasks and investing heavily in IT.  With this investment comes higher salaried jobs. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is the last CIAA Week in Charlotte for awhile.  Very much a bad loss for the City:tw_cry: :tw_dissapointed_relieved: :tw_bawling: :tw_confounded:

Maybe this is needed for the City/County to get its act together - Hopefully the tournament will be back after 3 years in Baltimore.  The CIAA guests in town would have multiple new towers all over Center City to greet them that they don’t see now as well as Lightrail Vehicles running up and down in the streets.

Wonder how this loss will impact Charlotte Tourism numbers for the ‘21 - ‘23 years?

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Hey guys,

Reporting here from Nashville.

As far as we know, most of our people are OK, but there are a few we have not heard from in East Nashville yet.

Our historic areas of East Nashville and Germantown have been hit very hard as was the John C Tune municipal airport west of town,  along with the Donelson and Hermitage areas.

A number of older historic structures have been destroyed along with a number of newly built large apartment buildings being heavily damaged. I 40 closed due to multiple overturned trucks, not to mention 19 deaths so far in a 2 county stretch from Nashville West.

We have a thred devoted to the tornado if you guys want to keepup.

Thanks for your prayers and concerns.

I spent much of my morning texting with friends and family in the metro checking on them. I still lived in the area during the 98 tornado, and this sounds much worse. Sufficed to say, I don't miss living in the tornado alley that is middle TN. Thinking of everyone back there. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, kermit said:

If you are gonna get Corona you may as well get it in a deeply discounted 5 star hotel room in Venice. 

Again, travel at your own risk. Nobody's stopping you from going. I personally, find it selfish to go there and potentially bring it back to the United States and potentially infect others. 

8 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

Again, travel at your own risk. Nobody's stopping you from going. I personally, find it selfish to go there and potentially bring it back to the United States and potentially infect others. 

I would totally agree with you about the selfishness if we were testing people for the virus here. At the moment we have absolutely no idea how many carriers are here (and the federal government wants to keep us in the dark about that).

• Like 3

Just now, kermit said:

I would totally agree with you about the selfishness if we were testing people for the virus here. At the moment we have absolutely no idea how many carriers are here (and the federal government wants to keep us in the dark about that).

I'm not entertaining conspiracy theories and rely on the experts at the CDC. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1