The Bad News Report

tozmervo

• 2 weeks later...

Over 1 million North Carolina workers have filed for unemployment, representing approximately 20% of the workforce (our labor force is 4.97 million people). 

https://www.journalnow.com/business/unemployment-benefit-claims-surpass-1-million-in-north-carolina-20-of-state-workforce-has-now/article_548d9d4a-b48c-5045-88ca-d662e918eec7.html

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

Any first time  big city Trip will give you that feeling.  But try going to Chicago in the dead of winter and you’ll be singing a different tune lol....wait til you go to Europe for the first time.  You’ll hate America afterwards.  Grass is always greener 

I agree with the first statement they don't call it the windy city for nothing.  the winter winds are bitter cold there and there are 2 seasons: winter and summer (repaving season)

as for Europe I like to visit but much prerfer to live or visit anywhere in America.   the USA has excellent real estate from the wilds of Alaska to the beaches of Miami to rocky coastline in San Diego to rocky shores of Maine. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I agree with the first statement they don't call it the windy city for nothing.  the winter winds are bitter cold there and there are 2 seasons: winter and summer (repaving season)

as for Europe I like to visit but much prerfer to live or visit anywhere in America.   the USA has excellent real estate from the wilds of Alaska to the beaches of Miami to rocky coastline in San Diego to rocky shores of Maine. 

My statement about Europe vs America isn’t referring to the nature.  Europe has natural beauty and history also that is unique.  It was moreso the culture and open mindedness of foreigners, tourists  and different cultures as well as the food and fashion.  People learn three and four languages there and it’s normal.  Also the food is out of this world and everything is fresh.  You can find fresh squeezed juice on every corner.  Here it’s almost impossible to find that unless you go to an upscale grocery store and then it’s expensive as hell.  Also the train and transportation In Europe is 100 years ahead of us.  Just saying :) 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Seabrooke said:

Haha I’m from Germany. I was just kidding around a bit. But after seeing the quality of the downtown Chicago architecture... let’s just say I’m just happy Charlotte puts a bunch of lights on ours Lol!

Chicago has some of the best architecture in the county and yes that includes NYC.    For our region the southeast there are only 3 cities with great buildings in abundance Atlanta, Miami and Charlotte. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

Chicago has some of the best architecture in the county and yes that includes NYC.    For our region the southeast there are only 3 cities with great buildings in abundance Atlanta, Miami and Charlotte. 

I’d add Austin & Dallas to the list if we are talking about modern skyline buildings.  And also if we are talking about historic I’d add Savannah and New Orleans as well.  

3 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

I’d add Austin & Dallas to the list if we are talking about modern skyline buildings.  And also if we are talking about historic I’d add Savannah and New Orleans as well.  

I did say southeast not to include Texas and I would add Houston to Dallas Austin list.   Historical buildings oh yeah Savannah and Charleston would be my tops in the southeast. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

McDermott International (formerly CB&I)  closed their Charlotte office permanently and laid off all workers.  They terminated their lease during bankruptcy proceedings.  63k sq ft now available at 500 E Morehead where they were an anchor tenant.

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

McDermott International (formerly CB&I)  closed their Charlotte office permanently and laid off all workers.  They terminated their lease during bankruptcy proceedings.  63k sq ft now available at 500 E Morehead where they were an anchor tenant.

Right next to the DOWD it will be interesting to see how fast that gets filled

Hate this news. Charlotte really needs an art house movie theater somewhere. With Ballantyne, Park Road and now Manor being lost... Maybe a Landmark theater or something similar could move in.

https://www.wfae.org/post/manor-theatre-close-permanently-after-73-years?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wfae%2FZyar+%28Coronavirus%29#stream/0

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Sad 4

Nobody knows whats gonna happen  yet but this NYT article is a decent discussion of what the RNC may look like.  Sounds like the RNC would like it if Cooper and Lyles took the blame for cancellation, but everyone is playing chicken.  Unfortunately, the massive boost to the Charlotte hospitality industry is looking less likely to happen. Things are even more complicated due to culture war issues, the republicans are going to be very reluctant to wear masks (I am looking at you donnie) to improve social hygiene.

Edited by kermit
  • Thanks 1

I hope it happens in person and in Charlotte.  This region really needs the boost.  Maybe they can modify by doing these things:

Spectrum Center - 6000 people

Bojangles Simulcast - 5000 people

Bank of America Stadium  Simulcast - 20000 people

All locations during Convention activities with Masks, gloves and temperature check requirements all prior to entry.

Charlotte needs the RNC economic activity

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Ric0_0 said:

Whether or not you agree with the political party, conventions bring a MASSIVE amount of money to the city hosting them.

And massive amount of people coming from all parts of the country congregating in close quarters during a health crisis.  My comment wouldn't have been applicable prior to the pandemic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CLT704 said:

:offtopic:Please go and vote down ballot though! You'd probably vote Republican down ballot, which wouldn't be my cup of tea as someone who leans left, but please participate in democracy. As someone who cannot vote in this country, I implore you to at least exercise your constitutional rights for some races. 

Always vote in your state and local elections. These both have the most visible effect on your day to day life and matter just as much if not more than your presidential vote.

• Like 3

I meant just for POTUS. Absolutely agree state & local mean way, way more. Your vote for President isn’t that important and for the vast majority of people most of the time, the POTUS isn’t really going to effect your life. 

I only mentioned that b/c I wanted to make the point that my opinion of holding the convention is really just about not endangering Uptown residents & businesses. Not about my personal political beliefs.

Youve all seen what these things turn into in normal years. Now the anger & intolerance of differing opinions is so high. People literally (and delusionally) think they’re fighting Nazi’s or Communists (depending on your party). They think violence is justified. Imagine tons of people with that insane mindset descending on your neighborhood. It’s not right. Shut the conventions down. Both of them.

This is all to say nothing of the pandemic but I felt this way even before COVID 

• Like 2