The Bad News Report

tozmervo

On a similar note, my question is if you're a far right radical, why shoot up substations in Moore County?  Based on voting results it has leaned right for a long long time.  Why would you not target substations in left-leaning counties such as Durham or Orange?  Also when the news first broke, there was a lot of speculation that it was carried out by far right radicals trying to shut down a nearby drag show (was actually just discussing this possibility with a left-leaning friend last night).  But if this was the case, based on previous attacks at gay-focused bars/clubs, black churches, etc, why would they fire at a couple of substations instead of the drag show itself?  Not saying it wasn't carried out by some deranged right winger but the whole situation is just strange imo.

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 1

Three days prior to the Moore County attack, the DHS issued a warning about such attacks.

“"Targets of potential violence include public gatherings, faith-based institutions, the LGBTQI+ community, schools, racial and religious minorities, government facilities and personnel, U.S. critical infrastructure, the media, and perceived ideological opponents," the bulletin reads”

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/attacks-plots-similar-north-carolina-power-grid-attack/story?id=94574765

I don't want to wade too far into this but, the prevailing rumor I've heard is this was done to prevent a Drag Story Hour or Drag Performance at a venue in the county. I am more than happy to be proven wrong, but that is what has been told to me, and across LGBTQIA+ platforms. There was even a prominent opponent of drag shows who celebrated the power outage...I'll need to find the tweet. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rufus said:

I don't want to wade too far into this but, the prevailing rumor I've heard is this was done to prevent a Drag Story Hour or Drag Performance at a venue in the county. I am more than happy to be proven wrong, but that is what has been told to me, and across LGBTQIA+ platforms. There was even a prominent opponent of drag shows who celebrated the power outage...I'll need to find the tweet. 

Emily Rainey. Tweeted something like “The power is out in Moore County and I know why.”

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Blue Ridge said:

I think it was on Facebook. She followed it up with a photo of the drag show’s venue, Sunrise Theater, with the caption “Sunrise Theater (tagged) God will not be mocked.” This was later followed by another post: “The Moore County Sheriff’s Office just checked in,” she said. “I welcomed them to my home. Sorry they wasted their time. I told them that God works in mysterious ways and is responsible for the outage. I used the opportunity to tell them about the immoral drag show and the blasphemies screamed by its supporters. God is chastising Moore County.”

Important to note the following as well:

“Rainey is a former Army captain who “resigned her commission after receiving a career-ending letter of reprimand for her actions at an earlier protest in the Fort Bragg area,” according to CBS. She was under investigation for leading a group of people from North Carolina to the Capitol on Jan. 6.

“Rainey’s social media presence indicates that she frequents or amplifies anti-drag show protests, including “going undercover” at them. On Steve Bannon’s War Room, she described herself as a leader of a Conservative group called Moore County Citizens for Freedom.”

All from this article: https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/the-power-is-out-in-moore-county-and-i-know-why-uncertainty-spreads-on-social-media-after-moore-county-attack/amp/

Where there’s smoke, there’s usually fire.

Thanks. Found some photos from FB of her with the Moore County sheriff and far right protesters. 

BD8F9D95-1ACA-46E3-A02D-675A696E1E02.jpeg

C354DA7A-494A-4A1A-8345-E4D8D99E6B8A.jpeg

Edited by NCMike1990
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, kermit said:

Should it turn out that my  assumption (based on recent patterns of behavior) was wrong I'll certainly apologize to everyone here. Until then I am not interested in helping to gaslight anyone into discounting the recent violent history and statements of the radical right. When a group of people openly declares war on your country (as the radical right has done) they no longer deserve the benefit of the doubt.

'green' leftists,  Sure, I guess, but why would they choose Moore County for this action? And why would they do this in a way that did not call direct attention to their goals?

Kids wanting school closed? Why two substations?

Does this sound like kids with their daddy's squirrel hunting rifle?

It's a bad situation that exposes some security issues for sure, and you could turn out to be correct.  But you took a basic topic of discussion and immediately turned it into a political opinion.  No gaslighting???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Blue Ridge said:

…wut? An extremist intimating the attack was because of drag queens was reported on by several media sources. The posts are still present on social media.

Facts and evidence = gaslighting because it doesn’t align with your political viewpoints?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has nothing to do with my political viewpoints, if it was indeed far-right or far-left, it was very wrong and very dangerous and they should pay dearly.  I've seen a few of the social media inferences but I rarely call those "facts" until the investigation says so.  You know these are FACTS because some extremist jumped on a news story?  WTH

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Blue Ridge said:

The fact is, a right-wing extremist very, very quickly jumped on the attack and, at minimum, used it to advance a political/religious cause. Sure, she can’t be convicted of the crime itself for that alone, but the fact that it was so quickly used to advance an extremist cause is alarming, disgusting, and worthy of thorough investigation by a more unbiased authority than the local sheriff who himself has been tied to her extremist causes.

It does not take a rocket scientist to connect the dots and realize how bad this is.

Isn't that why the FBI is already involved???  I in no way started this as a political argument, but more of jumping to conclusions until we REALLY know.  Idiots abound on both sides - maybe that's why rocket scientists don't do investigations.  🤔

• Confused 4

• atlrvr locked this topic
  • atlrvr unlocked this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

I remember when some scoffed at Texas a few years about rolling blackouts now look what is happening here:

As extreme temps drive unusually high energy demand across the Carolinas we have begun short, temporary power outages. These emergency outages are necessary to protect the energy grid against longer, more widespread outages. We appreciate your patience.

from Duke's Twitter

To me this is unacceptable what about the peak production plants they have?  We need more power plants for this growing region.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I remember when some scoffed at Texas a few years about rolling blackouts now look what is happening here:

As extreme temps drive unusually high energy demand across the Carolinas we have begun short, temporary power outages. These emergency outages are necessary to protect the energy grid against longer, more widespread outages. We appreciate your patience.

from Duke's Twitter

To me this is unacceptable what about the peak production plants they have?  We need more power plants for this growing region.  

I don’t get this.  Where is this extra power coming from and if it will soon be “available”, why couldn’t it have been planned to be made available ahead of time so we didn’t find ourselves here?  They aren’t out there constructing new plants today, are they?  They’ve been talking about this bomb cyclone coming for a week now.  But please… raise our rates again.

“These outages are temporary and rotated among customers and will continue until additional electricity is available and normal operation of the power grid resume.”

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/weather-news/article270395712.html#storylink=cpy

Edited by turbocraig
  • Thanks 1