The Bad News Report

tozmervo

2 hours ago, JeanClt said:

I may have heard that they knew this might have happened by unexpected immense surge in power drawn from the grid. This huge draw is also by the systems in place in homes in North Carolina. The gird a complex megastructure that is aging significantly. Of course steps are being taken to restore it when damaged to be more resilient and useful for future prospects, but that will take time and a huge sum of money. I think Infrastructure capacity and age along with the general demand rise over time and the spike did the system in.

The grid is a network interconnected by wires and huge/rapid fluctuations can cause the (in some ways fragile) system to malfunction or this case to avoid a malfunction the system was “throttled” in this way. Not sure how they solved the issue or when. Some on here were comparing this to Texas, but frankly I believe it was not nearly as bad or as dramatic. Yes more outages is bad, but do not directly say length of time. In Texas people had no power for days on end….nothing compared with just the now more than few hours which is how long most should have lasted. Yet, I would agree Duke Energy has some explaining and reports to hand over to the governor I have seen. I wonder what if any will be available to the public to review. I would like to see the specific issues that lead to these rolling blackouts being so long and why they were necessary.

Giving them a pass because of not being as bad as the worse will only delay facing up to reality. It's so hard to convince politicians to make infrastructure investments and we need to think of these situations of opportunities to convince them to do so. Never again!

Also, Duke is really poor when it comes to conservation efforts and incentives compared to everywhere else I've lived. Probably a result of the politics of the regions they serve?Insulating homes , especially here where the standards are so low, must be able to avoid several of these gas plants they plan to build and would reduce CO2 emissions  people's bills and these peaks that break the grid. I feel like we're *always* trailing the pack in innovation in this state. 

• Like 3

Giving them a pass because of not being as bad as the worse will only delay facing up to reality. It's so hard to convince politicians to make infrastructure investments and we need to think of these situations of opportunities to convince them to do so. Never again!
Also, Duke is really poor when it comes to conservation efforts and incentives compared to everywhere else I've lived. Probably a result of the politics of the regions they serve?Insulating homes , especially here where the standards are so low, must be able to avoid several of these gas plants they plan to build and would reduce CO2 emissions  people's bills and these peaks that break the grid. I feel like we're *always* trailing the pack in innovation in this state. 

It was not a pass. It was some reason I thought of/ heard of that could have disrupted energy flow. Definitely an issue the company manly those on the top should address. Most of which I mentioned are directly attributed to Duke. I did not mean to imply it was out of their control. I also meant to minimize the Texas vs NC sentiment as a day or two does not amount to weeks without power. Not because having a lot of outages was okay, just a difference in severity situation. I say the same in that last sentences. Sometimes I feel as though the state as whole is barely trying, barely functioning.
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 10:32 AM, JeanClt said:

It was not a pass. It was some reason I thought of/ heard of that could have disrupted energy flow. Definitely an issue the company manly those on the top should address. Most of which I mentioned are directly attributed to Duke. I did not mean to imply it was out of their control. I also meant to minimize the Texas vs NC sentiment as a day or two does not amount to weeks without power. Not because having a lot of outages was okay, just a difference in severity situation. I say the same in that last sentences. Sometimes I feel as though the state as whole is barely trying, barely functioning.

No, it was bad as I previously stated, most times they can simply purchase power to supplement load deficiency, however PJM didn’t either have any available or the prices were through the roof…so, PJM basically either said  go into load reduction mode or stand the risk of the eastern interconnection collapse…

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/us-electric-grid-narrowly-dodged-223801796.html

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Durhamite said:

No, it was bad as I previously stated, most times they can simply purchase power to supplement load deficiency, however PJM didn’t either have any available or the prices were through the roof…so, PJM basically either said  go into load reduction mode or stand the risk of the eastern interconnection collapse…

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/us-electric-grid-narrowly-dodged-223801796.html

By the way, the problem with ERCOT or Texas is the Texas mentality. They are basically their own interconnection/grid to avoid dealing with the feds. You have the western interconnection, eastern interconnection and Texas (ERCOT).  The concept is to share resources as needed…but not Texas, no sirree.

• Like 3

On 12/29/2022 at 7:34 AM, KJHburg said:

Actually Duke is one of the largest investor owned utilities in the country and is pretty well regarded by its peers.  That being said what happened this weekend is unacceptable.  It is life threatening.  I believe we need MORE generation units like natural gas for peak usage during the summer and during extreme colds like this.  I believe too many power plants have been shut down too quickly and with this huge push for electric vehicles where is that electricity going to come from?  For years electric consumption has gone slowly down but now with the push for EV it may have to rise.  Solar and wind are just a miniscule amount on the grid locally and not always reliable.  This is region is growing all of us in the southeast and new power plants have to be built to serve the growing population.  

I looked up sources of power from Duke and this is what I found on their website.  They are using all kinds nuclear, coal, gas, solar and hydro.

https://www.duke-energy.com/our-company/about-us/power-plants#:~:text=Across the U.S.%2C Duke Energy,gas%2C solar and battery storage.

total energy use per capita in NC #35 in the nation 

https://www.eia.gov/state/?sid=NC#tabs-5

There are base-load requirements, energy mixes, reserves, etc with models that address worst case scenario’s.  Plus, the ability to purchase power outside of resources in the event of a worst case scenario, like Christmas Eve.  

They have forecast models, etc used to address future capacity  demand. However, everyone wants that utility “green”, meaning money.  Think about it, the climate change group who demand cleaner energy sources, investment groups pushing regulatory policy to get in the game (basically build power plants….guess who has to manage the interconnections).  Meanwhile, the utility has to appease the utility commission, consumer and maintain a fragile infrastructure.  

It’s just not that simple.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JHart said:

I really think you're all looking at this the wrong way, there's no way Duke could have prepared for a situation like this when they make so little money off of NC citizens and businesses. Pointless investments like winterization and adding peak generation plants so that they actually produce enough power for NC instead of just buying it from other utilities are far too costly for a business that barely pays $3.75/share dividends annually and EPS of over $5 the last few years on about 769,000,000 shares owned by small time, local NC investors like Vanguard, Blackrock, etc. 

I think we can all agree that small sacrifices like unannounced rolling blackouts are a small price to pay when you can see how much value they create. Instead of making Duke pay for critical infrastructure with profit, we've already approved very tiny rate increases of 16% (18.9% for residential customers) by 2025 so that they can make needed improvements to privately owned infrastructure and continue producing such incredible annual results. 

God Bless Capitalism! Long live the Free Market!

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

as @rancenc talked about in another thread this is bad news for Charlotte. Loss of over 200 jobs with Campbell Food Snacks aka Lance to Camden NJ.

""The company announced this morning it will shutter the local office as well as one in Norwalk, Connecticut. Campbell will consolidate those operations at its headquarters in Camden, New Jersey, where it plans to invest $50 million.

The office at 13515 Ballantyne Corporate Place employs about 212 people, a Campbell Soup spokesperson tells CBJ. While a small number of facility-related roles will be eliminated, the majority of the jobs at the Charlotte and Norwalk offices will be relocated. The company says it will provide relocation support for eligible employees.

Charlotte has been the home of the company's Campbell Snacks division since the $6.1 billion Snyder's-Lance merger closed in March 2018. In addition to the corporate office at Ballantyne Corporate Park, the company has one of its largest manufacturing plants off South Boulevard as well as a distribution facility in Pineville.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/01/18/cbj-daily-buzz-campbell-soups-office-closing.html

having lived in that area of New Jersey I wonder how few will relocate up there?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/18/2023 at 4:13 PM, rancenc said:

More bad news from the tech world....I wonder how many of these positions are remote hold outs working at home.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/microsoft-cut-10000-jobs-tech-layoffs-intensify-2023-01-18/

Curious what you mean by "remote hold outs working at home"?  I can assure you MSFT isn't forcing anyone back into offices regardless of location......

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SoDoSoPa said:

Curious what you mean by "remote hold outs working at home"?  I can assure you MSFT isn't forcing anyone back into offices regardless of location......

It is scenarios that are discussed in this June article in terms of my description of  "remote hold outs".  My company actually has 2 remote, 3 in office work schedule and it is adhered to and actually embraced with no issues and definitely has not been an impediment in recruiting.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/as-microsoft-is-showing-workers-may-never-come-back-to-the-office/

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

While its clear that NC lost the derby to attract any ICE auto manufacturing facilities we certainly are in the running for the development of electric car (assembly and parts) manufacturing cluster. Unfortunately our neighbor to the North decided to stop perusing a Ford battery plant for some reasons I can't quite untangle. While this is mostly Virginia's loss, their loss of the plant will make it more difficult for NC to build an electric vehicle cluster (together w VA and SC).

Last month the state of Virginia dropped out of the race for the same Ford plant after Gov. Glenn Youngkin characterized the project as a “front” for the Chinese Communist Party that would raise national security concerns. At the time Virginia had not offered an incentive package to Ford.

https://apnews.com/article/ford-motor-co-michigan-detroit-business-e75de5b389687e7a3bbc248e83e23ac0

12 minutes ago, kermit said:

While its clear that NC lost the derby to attract any ICE auto manufacturing facilities we certainly are in the running for the development of electric car (assembly and parts) manufacturing cluster. Unfortunately our neighbor to the North decided to stop perusing a Ford battery plant for some reasons I can't quite untangle. While this is mostly Virginia's loss, their loss of the plant will make it more difficult for NC to build an electric vehicle cluster (together w VA and SC).

https://apnews.com/article/ford-motor-co-michigan-detroit-business-e75de5b389687e7a3bbc248e83e23ac0

actually a lot of big Chinese investment projects do not pan out.  For example Triangle Tyre a Chinese tire company was going to take a NC megasite in Tarboro.  They tied up the land for years and finally in the last year offered to let the state market it again.  Golden Home in Concord on the old Phillip Morris site has not broken ground yet and it has been a couple of years after its announcement.  I thought I saw a For Sale sign on their parcel.   Chinese have abandoned high rise projects in LA too.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

actually a lot of big Chinese investment projects do not pan out.  For example Triangle Tyre a Chinese tire company was going to take a NC megasite in Tarboro.  They tied up the land for years and finally in the last year offered to let the state market it again.  Golden Home in Concord on the old Phillip Morris site has not broken ground yet and it has been a couple of years after its announcement.  I thought I saw a For Sale sign on their parcel.   Chinese have abandoned high rise projects in LA too.  

Do not pan out is a funny way of describing the US placing additional 25% tariffs on Chinese auto parts and wooden cabinets and damaging trade relations in recent years... Triangle Tyre specifically mentioned trade disputes for why they had not yet started construction by 2020. If Golden Home also drops their development I would certainly think the loss of these large NC manufacturing sites is more self-imposed than anything else. 

• Like 1

Do not pan out is a funny way of describing the US placing additional 25% tariffs on Chinese auto parts and wooden cabinets and damaging trade relations in recent years... Triangle Tyre specifically mentioned trade disputes for why they had not yet started construction by 2020. If Golden Home also drops their development I would certainly think the loss of these large NC manufacturing sites is more self-imposed than anything else. 

Unfortunately many companies in China are heavily tied to the CCP, the governing party of China. National Security has taken precedence over the decades as the CCP turns outward more and seeks to undermine US dominance in the Eastern Asian Pacific. Economics are not isolated and is integrated into geopolitics. This relations collapse is a conversation between the two with responses such as these tariffs. While it may not benefit these investments it may save the US a lot in the long term. I don’t want to go to deep into it here, but it’s a complex geopolitical conflict…
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, JeanClt said:

Unfortunately many companies in China are heavily tied to the CCP, the governing party of China. National Security has taken precedence over the decades as the CCP turns outward more and seeks to undermine US dominance in the Eastern Asian Pacific. Economics are not isolated and is integrated into geopolitics. This relations collapse is a conversation between the two with responses such as these tariffs. While it may not benefit these investments it may save the US a lot in the long term. I don’t want to go to deep into it here, but it’s a complex geopolitical conflict…

And many companies and individuals oppose the CCP and seek to move money outside of the country into foreign investments.. All I said is the economic policies are to blame for the loss of these manufacturing facilities, you can decide for yourself if you think the geopolitical gains are worth the economic damage.

• Like 1