CT Tolls

Hiramicus

Rudy Marconi (Democratic contender for Governor), is campaigning on the message that we need to implement tolls in CT.

State Rep. Tony Guerrera, (D-Rocky Hill) is also in favor: http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/editorials/hc-bring-back-highway-tolls.artfeb28,0,6359587.story

The basic argument is that since we're sandwiched between Boston and New York, we have tons of commuters who drive on our highways and don't contribute to the tax base for the roads, since we mainly raise taxes via a gas tax, which is one of the highest in the nation (also, since CT is so small, you could feasibly drive most (or all) of the way through the state without having to fill-up your tax (and thus pay CT Taxes).

Some people argue that this tax is regressive, that lower-income people will be paying a more disproportionate share of the tax, in that they drive more than higher income people; however, many study agree that this is true, but if you look at highway-miles driven, that increases with income, thus people living in Fairfield county commuting to nyc.

What do you think?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there needs to be more clarification on the issue. What kind of tolls are we talking about? Making 95 a turnpike road? Instituting a toll here and there (like I-93 in NH) or are we referring to instituting "entrance and exit tolls" like New Jersey has coming out of NJ into NY, PA, and DE?

Personally, I believe the last option is the best. Putting tolls at the state borders for exiting the states will place the burden of tolls on those who drive through the state and will catch less lower-income residents and workers who (conceivably) stay in-state for work. It also encourages Fairfield County residents who work in New York to take Metro North rather than drive.

The other clarification needs to be exactly where this revenue will go. Ideally I'd like to see the revenue go to mass transit in the state.

I'm actually not against tolls, because seeing as out of State drivers wear down are road for free, while we have to pay them to use their roads. But I would like to see the gas tax eliminated or reduced dramatically in return for using tolls in State.

I think entry tolls would be fine with me, but I am not sure i want a toll on every boarder, and every highway.

the main place for me would be down close to NYC, because this is where the traffic is highest and the returns would be greatest.

putting a toll on 84 into MA, might be a waste of resources (building maintaining, and staffing toll boths is expensive) because its just long haul drivers going Hartford to Boston/Worcester, and not so much with commuters.

91 from Springfield I think would work.

but I also agree, all revenues would support mass transit funding.

• 3 weeks later...

I think entry tolls would be fine with me, but I am not sure i want a toll on every boarder, and every highway.

the main place for me would be down close to NYC, because this is where the traffic is highest and the returns would be greatest.

putting a toll on 84 into MA, might be a waste of resources (building maintaining, and staffing toll boths is expensive) because its just long haul drivers going Hartford to Boston/Worcester, and not so much with commuters.

91 from Springfield I think would work.

but I also agree, all revenues would support mass transit funding.

Archived