Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meanieme

Raleigh Downtown Cell Phone Tower Risks?

11 posts in this topic

Driving around downtown raleigh today I just noticed there's a tall cell phone tower next to City Market across from Founders Row/Palladium Plaza. Isn't this location odd since I thought cell phone towers present a major health risk. I can't imagine those living around that area are thrilled.

Driving around downtown raleigh today I just noticed there's a tall cell phone tower next to City Market across from Founders Row/Palladium Plaza. Isn't this location odd since I thought cell phone towers present a major health risk. I can't imagine those living around that area are thrilled.

My brother designs cell phone towers and tells me there is no known risks associated with them. For that matter, the odd thing is that the tower is not disguised. Typically in an urban setting, they are incorporated on top of buildings and even inside the steeples of churches, and sometimes even in trees. My brother deals with that all the time. The towers you have to look out for are electrical towers, which is probably what you are thinking of.

There is one on Blount between City Market and Lump Gallery. I think we should wrap it in a picture of the Edison or something.

There is one on Blount between City Market and Lump Gallery. I think we should wrap it in a picture of the Edison or something.

yep that's the one i'm talking about! i googled and a study showed it increased cancer by 3x but who knows.

i figure the ppl at palladium or founders row would freak out but i guess not.....

Do you have a link to that specific study? Some of that information can be interpreted many different (incorrect) ways, especially after it's been filtered through writers with a less than adequate understanding of science and statistics. Also, like I said, as with anything on the internet, it is easy to find very bad science.

The little bit I have read in detail shows a greater risk of holding an actual cell phone to your head for long periods (warnings in most user manuals), and extremely high voltage power lines. I am not a scientist and am in no position to offer any real recommendations though.