Warehouse District

RaleighRob

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bump....on all related Triangle topics...it's been 14 days since anything Triangle related. We now have 2 tower cranes in the air and no discussion for anything. I no longer live in Raleigh( in Northern California) but I left my heart there. Can anyone please post pics and lets start discussing the Triangle again soon. I feel lost.

4 hours ago, Eastwestrob said:

Bump....on all related Triangle topics...it's been 14 days since anything Triangle related. We now have 2 tower cranes in the air and no discussion for anything. I no longer live in Raleigh( in Northern California) but I left my heart there. Can anyone please post pics and lets start discussing the Triangle again soon. I feel lost.

Check out New Raleigh (https://www.facebook.com/newraleigh) or The Raleigh Connoisseur (http://dtraleigh.com/).

They normally keep a pulse on the latest developments in and around downtown.

You're right. This site is becoming lame.

Edited by RALNATIVE
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Can you tell if the entire chunk between the original Dillion facade and the slanted tower portion with the projection, is all parking deck or not? Would be a little deflating to think almost 50% of the volume seen is to accommodate vehicles...

Also is Harrington St being turned back into a natural area...whats with the isometric topo lines :)

On 8/26/2016 at 7:01 PM, Eastwestrob said:

I know how you feel. I'll try to take some pictures in the coming weeks. The Dillon in Raleigh and the City Center Tower in Durham are both on the way. Those are the only 10+ developments at the moment. Everything else is tiny. There's been no news on Charter Square North or 301 Hillsborough since March, and the Edison Office went kaput and the property got sold. Highwoods will probably do something similar in scale there but it won't happen this year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'll throw out my idea for this site... a 10-12 story apartment building at the corner copying 127 New Bern Place.  I'm fine with keeping the surface parking lot for residents.  No need for ground floor retail with 301 Hillsborough and Dillon adding 21 retail spaces in this area.  While the existing 2 buildings are old, there's not much about them that is historically significant worth saving in my opinion.

11 hours ago, Green_man said:

127 New Bern Place.  

*GASP!*....those are the 'Capital Apartments'...

Ha...anyway, perfect idea I think. If you've ever been in those, the interior awesome, even not considering the character laden oldness. The two I've seen have long hallways off the front doors that people filled up with crazy art. A substantial brick exterior would be a vast improvement over the hardiplank, hardboard and EIFS crap we continue to see. I actually hope its not combined with the Legends site, so we get some variation in building styles instead of more mega block or half block of continuous monotony. 

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'd like to see a Bojangles and Cook-Out in the retail spaces of either Union Station or Dillon.  We need more cheap eats downtown and what better way to introduce visitors with some of the best fast food in the country?  And Kane will probably bring in chains anyway, might as well be regionally/locally-established chains?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Green_man said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'd like to see a Bojangles and Cook-Out in the retail spaces of either Union Station or Dillon.  We need more cheap eats downtown and what better way to introduce visitors with some of the best fast food in the country?  And Kane will probably bring in chains anyway, might as well be regionally/locally-established chains?

Agreed.  I'd love to see one of those chains over another Pieology or Zoe's Kitchen.  New developments around here seem to attract these two chains.

Fortunately, the Morgan St Food Hall nearby should more than adequately cover the local food need for this area.  

Looking at that map excites and terrifies me. The N&O block is prime for something really great, hopefully. The City of Raleigh development with SOM should produce some great designs. 301 Hillsborough, while a humongous and ugly building, is at least a welcoming of a variety of residents, workers and visitors. Harrington is gonna be exciting to watch. Hopefully it becomes a great, walkable street.

I'm a little worried about the buildings on the south side of Martin St.  There's some character there created, mostly, by the large concentration of art galleries.  If that property gets snatched up and rents go up, I'm guessing that the galleries will move out too.  

Also, how has nothing been planned for the warehouse across West from Dillon?  

On 2/28/2017 at 11:39 AM, Tenkai said:

I'm a little worried about the buildings on the south side of Martin St.  There's some character there created, mostly, by the large concentration of art galleries.  If that property gets snatched up and rents go up, I'm guessing that the galleries will move out too.  

Also, how has nothing been planned for the warehouse across West from Dillon?  

That warehouse is still owned by TTA/GoTriangle I think. I imagine that Union Station's ability to accommodate light rail would involve roping in that building as well. I vaguely remember the original TTA plan that had platforms in multiple spots around the Wye. 

Green Man, agreed that DTR needs more cheap eats. Its a common ranting point of mine. I'm a little meh on Cook Out...more of a Char Grill guy, but I know there is one nearby, so...I guess we'll see if anyone else steps forward.