Warehouse District

RaleighRob

• 1 year later...
On 2/1/2019 at 12:14 PM, InitialD said:

We have like 5 stalled hotel projects in downtown; as with all of them I'll believe it when I see it going vertical. 

I'd really like to know more about hotel finances and long term planing etc. They are sitting on these expensive parcels, paying taxes, liquidity tied up and are obviously not in a hurry. Hotels get bought and sold and traded around like baseball cards. What gives? No other industry does any of these to this egregious degree. Are hotels so insanely profitable that they can do this? Is there a wealth of strange financing (foreign perhaps) that just wants a safe place to park its money? It all smells fishy in some way, but for someone with no experience or understanding of the business, I can't say for sure...insight appreciated...

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/3/2020 at 4:47 PM, RALNATIVE said:

Since I'm a property owner in the district, I received a letter the other day from the attorneys for Highwoods indicating that they have purchased the property at 321/327 W.  Hargett St.  and 213 S. Harrington St., and intend to submit a rezoning request to the city  to change from DX-12-SH to DX-40-CU for a potential mixed use development. This means that they are possibly interested in building  something up to 40 stories on that site.

I have not seen any further details on their plans, but will post any info that I receive. This is very good news, because Highwoods is a very credible developer and can deliver something substantial on that site. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

More details on this proposed 40+ story development in the TBJ today:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/10/28/highwoods-properties-pitches-40-stories-in-raleigh.html

• Like 3

All of these  30+ and 40+ story proposals for downtown are making me wonder what's going on in the background. With the COVID pandemic changing the overall requirements for office space in the corporate world, why would all of these proposals continue to move forward seemingly unaffected.

For a company as experienced as Highwoods in commercial real estate and Class A office development to propose a high rise in this environment, i'm led to believe that a major company is planning a corporate relocation.

• Like 3

^^^ I think only 2 maybe 3 will be built and Highwoods is for real and they could pull it off.  Dittos for Kane but they have that affordable housing component to work into their project which makes it more complicated.  Plus the Preferred 121 Fayetteville project has strong backing too.    I think a lot of companies maybe circling downtown Raleigh for space and this is why so many proposals are coming out but it is like an arms races first in the ground with a shovel and backhoe will win. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ I think only 2 maybe 3 will be built and Highwoods is for real and they could pull it off.  Dittos for Kane but they have that affordable housing component to work into their project which makes it more complicated.  Plus the Preferred 121 Fayetteville project has strong backing too.    I think a lot of companies maybe circling downtown Raleigh for space and this is why so many proposals are coming out but it is like an arms races first in the ground with a shovel and backhoe will win. 

I think you're right. Highwoods and Kane are solid developers and I put my money on them. If it were Sandreuter or Hatem, i'd be skeptical.

I am baffled though as to why the city keeps pushing affordable housing requirements on developers in prime areas of downtown. It seems to be  a national trend these days and it reeks of politics, as well as a push for social change, more than a sincere attempt to provide truly affordable housing for low income residents. It may please some in the short term, but long term it will lower property values.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

another short story on that new apartment tower on W South Street.   There was much discussion in an UP thread in Richmond how this Richmond developer is building a 20 story building here in Raleigh rather than Richmond.  I answered this one is not even the tallest that will start this year and there is demand. 

https://www.connectcre.com/stories/capital-square-launches-construction-on-100m-mixed-use-in-raleigh/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, carolina1792 said:

Sore subject for them. Especially since projects here after getting taller than originally planned instead of truncated. Creamery Resi tower rose 5 stories taller/ office tower by 1  story and so did the RUSBUS resi tower and the soon to be announced dual tower Smoky Hollow 3 project will be taller than originally planned. 

so what is the current floor counts on those towers:  the RUSBUS the Creamery apartment tower and SH phase 3?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, carolina1792 said:

Sore subject for them. Especially since projects here after getting taller than originally planned instead of truncated. Creamery Resi tower rose 5 stories taller/ office tower by 1  story and so did the RUSBUS resi tower and the soon to be announced dual tower Smoky Hollow 3 project will be taller than originally planned. 

Very exciting stuff. Smoky Hollow was originally planned as a 40 story tower. Interested to see what the final floor count will be.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 12:21 PM, KJHburg said:

another short story on that new apartment tower on W South Street.   There was much discussion in an UP thread in Richmond how this Richmond developer is building a 20 story building here in Raleigh rather than Richmond.  I answered this one is not even the tallest that will start this year and there is demand. 

https://www.connectcre.com/stories/capital-square-launches-construction-on-100m-mixed-use-in-raleigh/

Another boxy top but we'll take it.

image.thumb.png.31d2388f8b85d60d0740904dcf5d46d8.png

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...