Warehouse District

RaleighRob

Looks like HQ Raleigh is expanding into the building to the West of their current space (behind CAM).  http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blog/techflash/2015/02/hq-raleigh-expansion-downtown-warehouse-district.html?page=all

I like what they've done with their current space, so I am hopeful this renovation continues that trend!  And sounds like they might add a floor onto the new annex building as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Quote from City Councilor John Odom mentions a 22 story building proposed next to Union Station ... http://www.twcnews.com/nc/triangle-sandhills/news/2015/03/3/funding-in-place-to-start-work-on-union-station-project.html ... buuuut, Kane's rezoning is for DX-20 ( =maximum 20 floor height).  Surely, Odom is mistaken on the number of floors and there isn't another high-rise planned.  Right?!?

Quote from City Councilor John Odom mentions a 22 story building proposed next to Union Station ... http://www.twcnews.com/nc/triangle-sandhills/news/2015/03/3/funding-in-place-to-start-work-on-union-station-project.html ... buuuut, Kane's rezoning is for DX-20 ( =maximum 20 floor height).  Surely, Odom is mistaken on the number of floors and there isn't another high-rise planned.  Right?!?

I'm thinking that sounds like an allusion to a TIF. We all know Kane wanted a TIF parking deck in NH….maybe he's got council on board to provide one as part of his Dillion proposal…one that would also alleviate parking concerns at Union Station. Win-win. 

I'm thinking that sounds like an allusion to a TIF. We all know Kane wanted a TIF parking deck in NH….maybe he's got council on board to provide one as part of his Dillion proposal…one that would also alleviate parking concerns at Union Station. Win-win.

The Kane proposal is 2 up to 20 story buildings. With a parking deck in between.If I'm not mistaken. Maybe the councilman got his thoughts mixed up.

Either way,if they build a deck. I agree it's a win win. If not the parking situation will be pretty bad. Dose anyone know what the current parking plan is? I've heard a number of different things. Nothing solid though.

Current zoning is "BUS w/DOD".  In the Planning Commission's review, they compared the zonings:

Residential Density:  Existing- 810, Proposed-950

Retail Intensity Permitted: 80,000 sf for each

Office Intensity Permitted: Existing 975,000 sf, Proposed 1,005,000 sf.

Max Gross Building Sq Ft: Existing 1,625,000 sf, Proposed 1,550,00 sf

(remember these are the maximums permitted in the zoning categories, not what Kane is proposing)  All in all, the zoning is not that much change from the existing.  I imagine the main discussions are going to be with the City Council about the actual building form and how it integrates into the Warehouse district.

Kane deferred at the Planning Commission meeting.  Next meeting is March 24 - haven't heard if they are presenting at that one.

Land values in this area are definitely on the rise. A couple from NYC just paid $267.60 per sq feet for one of the largest condos in my building. That is about an 11-12% increase above the average price paid in the building last year. I suspect that we'll see a dramatic rise in real estate values in this area over the next few years, which is probably why we see all of the jockeying between the developers for any available plots in this district.

Edited by RALNATIVE

• 4 months later...

City is exploring a possible public-private partnership to build a public parking deck in the warehouse district.  Says at least 300 spaces are needed.

My suggestion: the triangle slice of land between train tracks at 600 W Hargett.  Based on the current surface lot, conservatively I'd say about 80 spots per level, so four levels.  Have an entrance at Hargett on the lower level and Morgan on the 2nd level.  Deck could also serve the Glenwood South area.  Have retail along  Hargett street.  I'd put public tennis courts and basketball courts on the top too, but I know that would not happen.

300 spaces is the bare minimum, and it won't suffice for long. The Amtrak station at Staples Mill Road in Richmond has 288 spaces -- none of them free -- but the parking lot fills up by 8:00 a.m. at least five days a week, sometimes all seven. That's what happens when passenger trains become successful. Even DC had to add a large deck (2200 spaces) onto Union Station... despite Metro.

Green_Man, the deck in the triangle idea is pretty darn good thinking. I doubt the RRs would allow many things there, not sure who owns that land, but a nice deck would be a great use of that property! Maybe a pedestrian bridge across the tracks from the deck.

Empire owns the land and relatively recently mentioned considering building up to 30 floors there.  But I think that was just meant to try to drive up the value of the land.  Empire doesn't do anything anymore, and I'm sure they would just hold onto the land for spite rather than sell it at a reasonable cost. 

Empire owns the land and relatively recently mentioned considering building up to 30 floors there.  But I think that was just meant to try to drive up the value of the land.  Empire doesn't do anything anymore, and I'm sure they would just hold onto the land for spite rather than sell it at a reasonable cost. 

I agree with you. If Hatem wasn't able to build the Lafayette due to financing, what would make anyone believe that he is now capable of delivering a 30 story building? He probably is trying to take advantage of land appreciation in the area.

They do cost more, and they're also prone to flood if the deck is in a low spot of the terrain. Soil conditions vary greatly from one place in Raleigh to another. Lots that are low-lying and 100% clay... bad news. Many homes here have crawl spaces instead of basements for the same reason.

Edited by ctl

I was in Raleigh this weekend and lots of parking lots in downtown Raleigh. Looks like a lot of space for new building, and new parking was under ground it would take care of the parking problems.   Wrap the above ground parking decks with retail, apartments, condos and offices..

The city of Raleigh should demand better designs.

The City of Charlotte is not perfect, but they do have a lot of under ground parking.   But Raleigh wins hands down on savings a lot of its old buildings downtown,

There are at least three parking structures under City plaza....The plaza deck itself (entrance on Wilmington), Marriott, and Two Hannover. I'm not sure how many total spaces or how many are public though, but it was all part of the effort to make this area 100% pedestrian in nature. The solo use decks have gotten much better design wise too, and the most recent one, the Edison deck, even has two roughed in retail spaces...well actually Clyde Coopers is in one now. The previously named Convention Center deck (not sure what it is now, over by Lincoln), also has punch out retail spaces and Charlie Goodnights almost moved into one. I have seen it in other cities...it's pretty easy to add retail to ground floors of parking decks )Seattle jumps to mind), and the Wilmington St deck on its Blount St face could put in a space where the bike racks and electrical feeds are. 

Anyway, 600 Hargett is a logical spot for serving both districts and the two entrances makes it that much better. Sweet idea Green Man. The partnership talk, though I believe is just the public face of Kane talking over the City kicking in money on the parking portion of his project. Just conjecture on my part, but we all know Kane tried this before and now he has some bette leverage as a potential downtown developer. 

I don't want a parking deck between the railroad tracks at 600 W Hargett. In fact I want nothing permanent at all there. That would forever prevent rationalizing the railroads in downtown Raleigh. Norfolk Southern has said they don't want to relocate to eliminate the diamond crossing for now but they may eventually change their song when traffic on the NCRR eventually increases, or if a really suitable alternative is offered. I would plan to abandon the old Norfolk & Western line through Dix, and build a new connection somewhere in the vicinity of I-40 or Rush Street.

The county deck at McDowell and Davie is huge and serves the warehouse district reasonably well. Is the new Citrix deck open to the public? If not, negotiate with them to at least allow public parking after business hours.

If the above are still inadequate, I would negotiate with Kane and do a Pto add an extra 500 public spaces below his upcoming project.

Edited by orulz

Not a former N&W line. You meant to say a former Norfolk Southern line in the sense of the pre-1974 company named Norfolk Southern. The N&W served Durham but not Raleigh. Any of the connectors you propose is an eight-figure project and there are probably better uses for the money. There just aren't many trains that use the line toward Fuquay-Varina and Fayetteville. The connectors are also likely to trigger eminent domain disputes and there might be environmental issues with wetlands too.

I was searching for the bid advertisement date for 301 Hillsborough (minimum upset bid of $3.255 million is due within 10 days of advertisement or Lundy gets the site).  N&O article mentioned it would be end of last week... so 10 days would put the deadline around Aug 3.  Wonder if we will hear anything at the Aug 4 council meeting.

Two other interesting requests for qualifications I noticed:

• Warehouse District parking deck proposals are due 2:00 pm Friday July 31.
  • Real estate consulting services proposal due Friday Aug 7 to develop a strategic plan for disposition of City's downtown inventory totaling 12 acres at $37 million assessed value ("excluding property for municipal use").

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...