Health care reform

krazeeboi

I clearly said "most extreme" and even went so far as to italicize those words. If someone doesn't understand that that goes way beyond simple disagreement, then they have a comprehension problem. And some of what we are seeing certainly goes far past simple disagreement, and in those cases, I call it like I see it. Unless you're a part of that fringe group of loonies, you shouldn't be offended.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"repeal and replace." And I'm thinking, replace with what? The stance of Republicans is that healthcare should be handled at the state level, not the federal level (unless it's throwing some trinkets at seniors to keep that voting bloc on lock). Many keep saying that they agree with some of the things in the bill, but they didn't even get those things accomplished when they were in power. It would be more like "repeal and do nothing."

The basis for the GOP's case against the bill the claim that the federal government cannot compel people to buy a private product (insurance). The ironic thing is that this objection would be rendered moot if the reform package involved a publicly-run system. The Republicans agree with much of what's in the bill, but don't want to be forced into a private system? Sounds like they're arguing to "repeal and replace" with socialized medicine.

I saw that earlier while I was reading a news article on my Blackberry. The article said that it was Republicans who brought up the idea of requiring all Americans to purchase healthcare insurance. Now look who it is suing over it....Republicans! It's pretty much as if they ran out of things to campaign against that they have to create things themselves to campaign against LOL.

AT&T announced today that the new health care bill will cost $1 billion and as a result, they are planning cuts to their health care plans, including possibly scrapping prescription drug coverage. The costs are a result of tax changes that result in companies paying taxes on prescription drug coverage for retirees. Caterpillar, Deere, AK Steele and Valero Engergy are also making similar moves. Verizon indicated that they are looking into it as well.

This reveals a major flaw in the bill....no wording as to what is considered insurance coverage and what isn't. With no definition, companies could effectively strip their insurance plans to practically nothing to make up for any added costs to them and still get credit from the government for having one. They could also stop offering insurance to retirees.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw today the Wellpoint has been using software to identify cancer patients (in particular, breast cancer) and has been dropping them in the middle of their treatments. They recently dropped a woman early in her treatments, giving the excuse that it was a "pre-existing" condition, yet, she has been reportedly paying her bill on time, every time, for the past 10 years. I highly doubt that she lived up until the point, ten years later, having cancer and no treatment, so it sounds like a lame excuse to drop her because of the costs of treatment. I cannot think of a more sick and inhuman thing to be doing!

Just think how much would get done If we never had parties in the first place. What if people just voted for the best persons for the job instead of voting based on parties and idealogy? This nation has always been divided by the party system but the division intensified during the 2000 election and its been that way ever since. But if democrats want to keep the majority of its seats in congress, they are going to have to take a page from the Obama 2008 election campaign and energize key voting demographics (young people, women and African-Americans). That would help offset independent voters who will be voting republican in November and Obama needs to be on the campaign trail for these congressmen as if hes running for president again. Obama energizes voters, not congressmen

Archived