U.S. Census: Wake County close to overtaking Mecklenburg County in Population

DCMetroRaleigh

It turns out that the Census says that in April 2000, Mecklenburg had approximately 20,000 more people than Wake, a large gap than estimated in 2009. What is clear is that Mecklenburg weathered the gripping economic downturn much better than expected and kept growing in population at a breakneck pace in spite of the profound recession. Therefore, Mecklenburg may remain the state's largest county longer than previously forecasted.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mecklenburg definitely did good as far as weathering thins recession and I believe more sustained rates will improve to about 3% annually. Now, Wake, I expect around 4% and it will surely pass Meck soon. I actually think its cool when a states largest city, capital, and largest metro are 3 different areas.

• 1 month later...

these numbers are really only good for bragging rights. People dont decide to visit or move to a city based on population though. They do so based on opportunity and what a city offers and lets face. SOme people will find Raleigh more attractive and some Charlotte. Its really personal preference. COngrats to Wake!

• 1 year later...

Well, what do ya know.  Mecklenburg County grew from 944,373 in July 2011 people to 969,031 a year later. This is an increase of almost 25,000 people in a year.  Wake County grew from 929,780

in July 2011 to 952,151 in July 2012, an increase of over 22,000.  From July 2011 to July 2012, Mecklenburg grew by about 21,000, but Wake grew by 23,000 during that period. From April 2010 to July 2012, Mecklenburg grew by almost 50,000 , and Wake grew by about 51,000.  Wake's growth cooled slightly during the last Census period, whereas Mecklenburg's has ramped up again.

Mecklenburg definitely did good as far as weathering thins recession and I believe more sustained rates will improve to about 3% annually. Now, Wake, I expect around 4% and it will surely pass Meck soon. I actually think its cool when a states largest city, capital, and largest metro are 3 different areas.

Largest City and Largest metro is Charlotte.  Capital is Raleigh.....you meant county?

• 2 years later...

Using 2014 Census data Mecklenburg was 1,012,539 and 998,691.  Wake  was 999,391. Since 2014 census Wake has gone over 1 million.

Largest City Charlotte added to Mecklenburg county  population from 2010 to 2014  78,534

Second largest town/city   largest Huntersville added  4,793

Largest City  Raleigh added to Wake county population from 2010 to 2014 36,004.

Second larges /city/ town Cary added 19,993 to Wakes population.

Mecklenburg gain 92,917 from 2010 to 2014

Wake gain 97,698 from 2010 to 2014

Charlotte and Huntersville accounted for 89.7% of Mecklenburg's population growth

Cary and Raleigh accounted for 57.3% of Wake's growth.

So this tells me that the other cities/ towns in Wake county contribute more to Wake's growth than Mecklenburg towns.

So Wake will have the largest population in the state and Charlotte t as the largest City.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2016 at 9:20 AM, RiverwoodCLT said:

Using 2014 Census data Mecklenburg was 1,012,539 and 998,691.  Wake  was 999,391. Since 2014 census Wake has gone over 1 million.

Largest City Charlotte added to Mecklenburg county  population from 2010 to 2014  78,534

Second largest town/city   largest Huntersville added  4,793

Largest City  Raleigh added to Wake county population from 2010 to 2014 36,004.

Second larges /city/ town Cary added 19,993 to Wakes population.

Mecklenburg gain 92,917 from 2010 to 2014

Wake gain 97,698 from 2010 to 2014

Charlotte and Huntersville accounted for 89.7% of Mecklenburg's population growth

Cary and Raleigh accounted for 57.3% of Wake's growth.

So this tells me that the other cities/ towns in Wake county contribute more to Wake's growth than Mecklenburg towns.

So Wake will have the largest population in the state and Charlotte t as the largest City.

That makes sense. Wake is geographically larger than Mecklenburg, and Charlotte is twice the size of Raleigh. Wake also has 12 towns within its county limits, and Meck only has seven. Before 2020, Wake will be the largest county in NC, but Mecklenburg will retain the highest population density. The Charlotte CSA will remain the largest in the Carolinas, but the Triangle could one day surpass it, especially if more counties/metros are added, like the Rocky Mount metro.

Archived