Raleigh's Nightlife

RALNATIVE

Over the last couple of years i've noticed a definite uptick in Raleigh's night activity. Not only am I seeing more and more people on the streets late into the evening on weekends, but i'm also seeing more of the following:

• Activity during the weeknights (M-Th)
  • Greater diversity in the crowds that patronize downtown
  • Greater focus on style and fashion (well-dressed ladies and gents, expensive sportscars, etc.)
  • Decentralization of downtown nightlife (Glenwood South is no longer the only hotspot downtown)

I'm sure that there are other things that can be pointed out, but i'm wondering how others see Raleigh's nightlife now, as compared to years ago. Does anyone have comments on this?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You hit all the major points. At this point in the evolution I expect two more things to enter the picture....more hotels and a downtown movie theater. Hotels of course were sort of derailed by the economy but once those come online, then I think the folks staying in them in large numbers will start to spread the tale of downtown Raleigh around the globe. A multiplex movie theater of course has been discussed on UP before, but to me its an important offering for families beyond the oasis of Marbles/IMAX. Right now we are still largely young childless folks(of various incomes) who live within driving distance of downtown. Another note, is that since the Warehouse closed there has not been a real pool hall in downtown proper....Snookers, Crowley etc are on the periphery and Pourhouse, Jackpot, Ugly Monkey are of course a long way from being a pool playing destination.

I cannot remember any more activity downtown than I saw last night. Obviously, First Friday and the perfect weather played a big part in that, but whatever the case, there was a great energy and vibe among just about everyone I saw on the street. It was a great night to be out and about.

I cannot remember any more activity downtown than I saw last night. Obviously, First Friday and the perfect weather played a big part in that, but whatever the case, there was a great energy and vibe among just about everyone I saw on the street. It was a great night to be out and about.

"Raleigh didn't feel like itself" is almost exactly what I said a couple of times last night. Maybe it's because I spent most of night at a place I have not been to a lot (Remedy) or maybe it was because of the gigantic extended family Raleigh seems to be...I know so and so, who worked with so and so who use to roommates with so and so who used to hang out at the same places I did ten years ago...you get my drift....

"Raleigh didn't feel like itself" is almost exactly what I said a couple of times last night. Maybe it's because I spent most of night at a place I have not been to a lot (Remedy) or maybe it was because of the gigantic extended family Raleigh seems to be...I know so and so, who worked with so and so who use to roommates with so and so who used to hang out at the same places I did ten years ago...you get my drift....

I was in Raleigh last week, and downtown was rockin'. I went to Legends and the View bar and was thoroughly impressed. I like how the straight clubs, gay clubs, as well as the R&B ones can co-exist now side by side.

When I "came out" in 1987 while at NCSU, believe me, it was not as open as it is now. The threat of violence loomed, Legends didn't even exist yet, and Harrelson Hall was the main pickup spot. Even gross ol' truck drivers frequented the restrooms there, and it was obvious they didn't belong on compus.

Legends had an impressive crowd. Once again, Raleigh is distinguishing itself as an east coast destination.

I've seen Sho Nuff in them when its cold. Could have been him. Recently he had been sporting a leopard print vest. He told me his real name once, but he said he preferred to be called Sho Nuff...it was stitched on his favorite jacket....also leopard print. I had assumed he was a vietnam vet (he was the right age) and was suffering from some measure of ptsd. He was functional...just unique. He never bothered anyone. He only hung out when invited, and once word got around that he was an insightful and decent guy, he seemed to have standing invites at places like Times. His daughter came to meet the bike procession at cup a joe. I think she was very surprised at just how many admirers her father had. About a hundred people showed up for a ride down Hillsborough Street in his honor....he was always on a bike himself...full of blinking lights with leopard print details.

*sigh*

• 2 weeks later...

This wasn't exactly nightlife, but it could certaining qualifiy as Raleigh daylife. I was at the Cuegrass Festival downtown today, and it was an outstanding event. The crowd was phenomenal. It goes to show that when events like this occur in Raleigh, our citizens really know how to have a good time.

Archived