E. Colonial between 436 and Primrose

Jernigan

Information about the WaWa and also a Gordon Food Services retail store (www.gfs.com)  coming to the southside of Colonial between Calvin and Rickenbacher...

http://orlandopublic.novusagenda.com/AttachmentViewer.aspx?AttachmentID=15945&ItemID=16825

Thanks for posting this. Was down at the ol' Sweet Tomotoes this weekend and was wondering when this project would get underway.

Slowly but surely, this stretch of Colonial is showing signs of life. I know I deserve 20 lashes for being happy to see these projects come online (as they are far from urban in nature), but this part of town was hit hard by the recession. It's impact is still visible, with empty lots like these serving as reminders of just how bad things got (RIP, Bennigan's).

Information about the WaWa and also a Gordon Food Services retail store (www.gfs.com)  coming to the southside of Colonial between Calvin and Rickenbacher...

http://orlandopublic.novusagenda.com/AttachmentViewer.aspx?AttachmentID=15945&ItemID=16825

Notice the future BRT lane along Colonial Drive.  Any word on that project?  What ever happened to the gondolas that were proposed for along this route?  

• 3 weeks later...

On my way to the gym the other day I noticed that the shopping plaza between the Olive Garden and Herndon is now fenced off ...i couldn't take a pic since i was driving down Colonial at the time but here is the plaza im talking about from google maps

https://cbks2.google.com/cbk?output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv&thumb=2&thumbfov=60&ll=28.553493,-81.338086&yaw=348.0&thumbpegman=1&w=300&h=118

Yesterday I went down Herndon and noticed the fence runs down that road and wraps around the old Toys R Us building so im guessing these buildings are coming down soon.

D152A90A-004C-4A7A-9A98-5744887987DD.JPG

Edited by rich305

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

An update at the happenings at Fashion Square from the Sentinel: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-cfb-talking-with-fish-20130505,0,4574972.story

Cliffs:

Adding a basketball court, a bowling alley, Hershey Shake Shop and an arcade.  

BJs Brewhouse close to signing lease

Starwood hotel in the works (127 rooms)

• Like 1

An update at the happenings at Fashion Square from the Sentinel: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-cfb-talking-with-fish-20130505,0,4574972.story

Cliffs:

Adding a basketball court, a bowling alley, Hershey Shake Shop and an arcade.  

BJs Brewhouse close to signing lease

Starwood hotel in the works (127 rooms)

Thanks for posting. Hadn't seen this bit of info. I think the addition of the hotel is the biggest news, as it would expand the mall's use beyond just retail and dining. The bowling alley and basketball court seem somewhat gimicky, but good on them for trying.

I do wish they would incorporate the Cady Way Trailhead into their plans for redevelopment and work to expand the food truck rally that takes place each month.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Renderings and additional information for the Fashion Square renovation.

http://www.updevelopment.net/project-portfolio/current-projects/orlando-fashion-square-mall

Looks pretty good, actually. I can visualize where the hotel would be located (next to Sears), but that other building in the rendering (looks about 10 floors or so)..what is that? Apartments? If so, where exactly is that supposed to go? Doesn't seem like there would be room on the Colonial facing side of the property.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

East Colonial Drive business district rebounding

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-rebound-colonial-business-20131124,0,3405718.story

From what I can tell if the Sentinel's reporting is accurate, as far as GOAA is concerned, the 1970's are alive and well. At least on the south side of Colonial, the same strip mall mentality which has always held sway out there is slated to continue. It's sad that a government agency (admittedly, one controlled by Rick Scott's appointments) is content to use outdated planning methods while continuing to suck most of the potential for downtown retail  away. For those who have been more optimistic, it seems to lie completely in the hands of a developer best known for his big boxes. Stay tuned....

• 2 weeks later...

Ah OBJ actually scooped the Dicks story back in October (despite the OS still not knowing what's going on per the last article linked).

Sunshine - can you expand at all? Did you hear any reason why? Problem with UP? Change in market?

That's disappointing if it turns out to be true. The hotel would take up a lot of the vacant space in the mall.

Even after the remodel it seems like a strange location. There are plenty of hotels closer to downtown and you aren't really close to other points of interest except for the Executive Airport. Baldwin Park doesn't seem to be nearly big enough to support anything more than possibly a something like EO Inn actually in the town center.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Dick's sporting goods to Fashion Square now official. Anyone know what the restaurant will be?

I know as an urbanist I'm probably not supposed to be excited about this, but the Sports Authority across the street on Colonial is horrible and the nearest Dick's is pretty far away.  I go out of my way to get my running shoes at the Track Shack, but for most other sporting goods we haven't had many options...

If they really want to save this mall they need to build apartment units with some ground floor retail over every single surface parking lot there.  Even leave the parking on the surface.  Hang the apartments over them.  Convince the Target up the road to leave and make an urban super-target on one parcel as well. This is in addition to the new tenants/buildings they are putting in now, not instead of.  There is no possible way this mall becomes a destination mall - which is the only way it has a chance to increase its life expectancy substantially.  It dies quickly or it dies slowly.  With these changes it will more likely be slowly - probably generating the owners enough revenue to make it worth the small effort.  If the city wants it to be viable more long term though they can start making it resemble Bel Mar in Denver now.. or have a large hole to fill in 10-15 years.  

Edited by brainpathology

That Dick's location, pretty much the island Toys R Us, is a bad location, with deep road offset. Should of been attached or developed as another anchor. Your not going to cross a boiling steamy parking lot, ever, to get a box of golfballs then walk all the way back in the pouring rain. Westshore Mall in Tampa plopped their Dick's right on the side and is about to open. You see what I did there.

• Like 1