E. Colonial between 436 and Primrose

Jernigan

Today, an item I ordered online was out of stock at the SoDo Target so I went to pick it up at the Maguire store.

I was stunned at the redo - the exterior is now very red and the old garden center entrance has been replaced by very attractive landscaping. The interior has also been updated (that’s appropriate given the Target opened circa 1990 and was originally a Gold Triangle dating back to 1972).

Oddly, however, parking in the surface lot at 2pm on a Monday was a pain. I much prefer the SoDo garage!

• Like 1

I haven't been in there since the redo.  My wife said they moved the Starbuck which must have been a feat since Starbucks didn't previously operate in that store.  I wonder where she thinks that Starbucks moved from?

Ran in for a few items on Sunday afternoon around 4pm and the line at Starbucks was 6 deep ... go figure.

I think they’ve don’t a decent job on the East Colonial redo. I personally like the smaller format Targets more than the Supers ... much easier to get around in general, and specifically if I’m running in for just a few things.
  • Like 1

I drove thru the parking lot where the new Lucky's is going and it is really progressing quickly. I didn't get a photo, but the new exterior looks about 90% ready and peering in the open door the interior finish work looks to also be about 90%. I wouldn't be surprised to see refrigeration going in by months end and opening in June.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2019 at 2:14 PM, AmIReal said:

I drove thru the parking lot where the new Lucky's is going and it is really progressing quickly. I didn't get a photo, but the new exterior looks about 90% ready and peering in the open door the interior finish work looks to also be about 90%. I wouldn't be surprised to see refrigeration going in by months end and opening in June.

June 5 is the date I've heard.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, just a skosh west of Primrose but they are gutting the interior of the retro Colonial Plaza McD’s. The entire dining room and counter area has been removed (the drive-thru is still open).

It will be interesting to see what they do (although it’s been years since I ate at a McD’s).

Also, I saw an article this week where McD’s franchisees are scared to death of the rise of Chick-Fil-A. Apparently, CFA has hit #3 in US fast food sales with only about 1/7 the number of locations (mostly in the South). Even more frightening for owners at Ronald’s place is that CFA doesn’t discount much, making it scads more profitable.

Totally unrelated but great to see in the area: like Ferncreek and Anderson St before it, part of Hampton Ave. has just gotten resurfaced at long last. Best of all, it’s asphalt - smooooooth! (Note to City -  if you want to get serious about people using bikes - bricks ain’t the answer.)

Hopefully, Summerlin is going to get redone with the replacement of the major sewage pipe next year - it’s falling apart. If it must be brick, hopefully they’ll use the ones they did on Mariposa which were a complete joy (until they tore them up again for access to 520 E. Church).

• 3 months later...

The Steak ‘n Shakes on E.Colonial at Primrose and on 17-92 in Winter Park have closed. They may or may not reopen.

Both were fixtures of the car culture here, with carhop service available well into the ‘70’s. The East 50 location was a fixture of Orlando’s cruising district for high school students in the ‘50’s and ‘60’s like a scene from American Graffiti.

”In Sight It Must Be Right”, until it wasn’t.

Best of all, the milkshakes were REAL (not vegetable shortening like Mickey D’s) and you were served on real plates and glassware.

A lot of local Boomers have just watched a good chunk of their lives go by in a flash.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-steak-shake-shutdown-20191021-2eggyj5mcjdt3j36aedc7lhus4-story.html

From the Sentinel 

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

The Steak ‘n Shakes on E.Colonial at Primrose and on 17-92 in Winter Park have closed. They may or may not reopen.

Both were fixtures of the car culture here, with carhop service available well into the ‘70’s. The East 50 location was a fixture of Orlando’s cruising district for high school students in the ‘50’s and ‘60’s like a scene from American Graffiti.

”In Sight It Must Be Right”, until it wasn’t.

Best of all, the milkshakes were REAL (not vegetable shortening like Mickey D’s) and you were served on real plates and glassware.

A lot of local Boomers have just watched a good chunk of their lives go by in a flash.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-steak-shake-shutdown-20191021-2eggyj5mcjdt3j36aedc7lhus4-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Apologies for the cross-post but I posted in the 'Bars and Restaurants' forum. What was I thinking?

The Steak-n-Shake's on E. Colonial and Mills have closed.

I'm surprised it took this long.

I stopped going years ago because of the ridiculous wait times whether dine-in or drive-thru. And when you did eat-in, having to tip after waiting for half an hour to be handed a soggy hamburger and fires just kind of added insult to injury.

Unfortunate that the staff will lose their jobs, but IMO good riddance to a sub-par dining experience.

Edited by Camillo Sitte

14 minutes ago, Camillo Sitte said:

Apologies for the cross-post but I posted in the 'Bars and Restaurants' forum. What was I thinking?

The Steak-n-Shake's on E. Colonial and Mills have closed.

I'm surprised it took this long.

I stopped going years ago because of the ridiculous wait times whether dine-in or drive-thru. And when you did eat-in, having to tip after waiting for half an hour to be handed a soggy hamburger and fires just kind of added insult to injury.

Unfortunate that the staff will lose their jobs, but IMO good riddance to a sub-par dining experience.

From what I understand, the chain is pretty much a mess (another PEF strikes again). I had not been in some years once we had better options within walking distance like Mary’s (whose impending demise seems not to warrant a comment from the World’s Most Fantastic Mayor), and I like Beefy King pastrami sammiches best when I’m doing fast food.

46 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

From what I understand, the chain is pretty much a mess (another PEF strikes again). I had not been in some years once we had better options within walking distance like Mary’s (whose impending demise seems not to warrant a comment from the World’s Most Fantastic Mayor), and I like Beefy King pastrami sammiches best when I’m doing fast food.

Hard to see what their corporate argument is for why people should patronize them.

They are slow, more expensive than the competition, and they don't really offer anything that you can't get elsewhere for a better price or with better service. Freddy's for example offers exactly the same thing, - and by exactly I mean in the same way that Krystal and White Castle are exactly the same thing - but with what is IMO much better and faster service, cleaner restaurants, and you aren't asked to tip.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Camillo Sitte said:

Hard to see what their corporate argument is for why people should patronize them.

They are slow, more expensive than the competition, and they don't really offer anything that you can't get elsewhere for a better price or with better service. Freddy's for example offers exactly the same thing, - and by exactly I mean in the same way that Krystal and White Castle are exactly the same thing - but with what is IMO much better and faster service, cleaner restaurants, and you aren't asked to tip.

Their "hook" or gimmick, was that they used "real steak cuts" whatever that means. I guess the idea was that the meat on their burgers, unlike those of their completion, somehow constituted a steak sandwich. The few times I ate there, I couldn't tell the difference between theirs and any other burger, other than that they were rather small and flavorless.

I do wish I'd tried some of their specialty milkshakes when I had the chance. Something I had been meaning to do, but never got around to.