E. Colonial between 436 and Primrose

Jernigan

On 5/23/2021 at 9:30 AM, spenser1058 said:

What may have been the oldest remaining Pizza Hut restaurant in Orlando is no more. Although I’ll miss their lunch buffet, I’d gotten out of the habit during COVID and, when doing cheap pizza, the Domino’s across from the gay IHOP in the old Porter Paints is oh so convenient to Eola.

The dear departed Hut was in the Maguire Target parking lot.

Rumor is that ye olde Pizza Hut will become this:

https://bungalower.com/2021/08/02/susuru-opening-new-location-on-east-colonial/

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, FLClarkKent said:

Rumor is that ye olde Pizza Hut will become this:

https://bungalower.com/2021/08/02/susuru-opening-new-location-on-east-colonial/

That's the Pizza Hut on Maguire.  The one on OBT that was by the FL Mall that we were mentioning had a banner that said it would become an Oh Que Bueno.  As much as I hate to see these old Pizza Huts go, I will say they've provided small business owners all over the country with an infrastructure to create a functioning restaurant.  Let us not forget Bauern-Stube, Jesse's Rib Shack, or Italian House, or any number of other restaurants all over the place.  There's an old saying, the universe never closes a Pizza Hut without opening a Chinese Restaurant.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 3

I got the $5 off coupon on 8/18.  My plan is to have done grocery shopping there by Monday.  This is gonna be the first phase of me changing grocery stores.   Once Sprouts opens my shift will be complete.

W/D Walmart Freshfields --> Aldi Sprouts

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 9:14 AM, codypet said:

That's the Pizza Hut on Maguire.  The one on OBT that was by the FL Mall that we were mentioning had a banner that said it would become an Oh Que Bueno.  As much as I hate to see these old Pizza Huts go, I will say they've provided small business owners all over the country with an infrastructure to create a functioning restaurant.  Let us not forget Bauern-Stube, Jesse's Rib Shack, or Italian House, or any number of other restaurants all over the place.  There's an old saying, the universe never closes a Pizza Hut without opening a Chinese Restaurant.

...and I believe the Brick & Fire that used to be at CCS reopened on Orange Ave in an old Pizza Hut building as well...like 10 years ago...

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

...and I believe the Brick & Fire that used to be at CCS reopened on Orange Ave in an old Pizza Hut building as well...like 10 years ago...

The thing that was interesting about the first Huts in town was they nestled unexpectedly in local ‘hoods where you wouldn’t necessarily think  to find them (and I don’t think Pepsi, later YUM!, had bought them out yet). 

For example, the one on Crystal Lake near Curry Ford or on Silver Star near Powers (it was still two-laned and there were not many businesses then). Even the first one in town on W. Colonial near Edgewater was in the middle of the block sitting unobtrusively.

Orlando was very much still a small town in the ‘60’s and that first Hut got a big write up in the Sentinel. That led to us going for my birthday and there was about a 90 minute wait… all to get in a Pizza Hut!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Kinda odd to see an Aldi in that Lucky's spot (man...they were gone in a hot second). Nice storefront for them, however. I visit Petsmart (for my herd) fairly regularly. I'll have to pop in there the next time I need some kibble for my little four legged dudes. I've been to the Aldi on Semoran a couple of times. Found a few good deals on frozen stuff. No worries. Cheers.

Also....R.I.P. Maguire Pizza Hut. I did not grow up in Orlando...but Pizza Hut was a staple of my youth (in a southern galaxy far far away).

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers

On 8/19/2021 at 11:37 PM, codypet said:

The stuff I found in Aldi that was cheaper was wayyyyyy cheaper.  But then there was stuff like Cheerios and berries that was more expensive than W/D or fresh fields. Keep your whits about you.  Milk well under $3 ?!?! I'm there.  Aldi left about 20% of the Luckys vacant for another store to its right.

20210819_192700.jpg

I diverted from Publix to check out the new Aldi. Made the rookie mistake of forgetting a quarter for the trolley.  Was also pleasantly surprised at how inexpensive some items are. 4lbs of chicken for less that $8 felt like a steal! Oat milk for $3 felt like a good deal as well.

OMG I forgot about the chicken.  It's $2.99/lb on Tuesdays at fresh market and I think it was $1.79/lb here.   They sell White Castles there and it took every ounce of my being not to buy those.   I too made a rookie mistake.  I remembered the quarter for the cart (which appears to be supersized in this Aldi), but a neighbor told me that the bags were free during the grand opening.   Unfortunately, they were all out by noon and I had no bags.  I found myself scouring the aisles for boxes to put my items in.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

A large "Floor & Decor" sign appeared today on the front of the Fashion Square Mall extension (former Sears location) that was originally going to be an Orchard Supply store. For some reason I thought that a  gym was gonna move into that spot. F&D has been residing "next" to that location for a year or two. Have they just moved next door or have they expanded to take over that whole west end of the Fashion Square complex? Anybody know? Just wondering. No worries. Cheers.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers

• 4 weeks later...