28-Floor Vista Apartment Tower

CorgiMatt

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sick.png I'm sorry but those highrises look like crap. Who designed it? Yuck. On top of that, who do they expect to move into these 600 apartments/condos when other similar developments Adesso and Aspyre can't even rent or sell theirs? ermm.gif This is a wishful thinking project and I put the chance of it getting built at less than 5%.

USC still has to come up with private matching funds for the public dollars that have so far been invested in Innovista.

I wasn't quite sure where to post this and/or to create a new thread, but I saw this in the CO today. This could be great news for one of those many parking lots : )

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/04/05/1358279/charlotte-developer-plans-22-story.html

The project wouldn't be affiliated with inovista, but would/could play a big role in its future. Cant wait to see how this all plays out.

sick.png I'm sorry but those highrises look like crap. Who designed it? Yuck. On top of that, who do they expect to move into these 600 apartments/condos when other similar developments Adesso and Aspyre can't even rent or sell theirs? ermm.gif This is a wishful thinking project and I put the chance of it getting built at less than 5%.

I guess we'll see. At any rate, the renderings are preliminary and preliminary renderings are often all white. With some color I think the architecture would come alive.

I agree 100%. I think the concept is horrendous. The design is bland as can be, but the big problem is that the scale is ENTIRELY freaking incongruous with the surrounding context. If this gets past the DDRC as is, I'll be completely disheartened.

A couple of things. First, either this developer is really ballsy or really oblivious. I suppose we'll see. But I have to agree with citylife in that other residential developments aren't exactly doing as expected right now, such as Adesso and Canalside. Not sure about Aspyre, but it caters mostly to students so that market is a built-in one, but even with this one catering to students too, it appears to be overly ambitious. Two 28-story towers? I mean really??? Secondly, the renderings aren't exactly detailed, so I'd hold judgment until they are released. Thirdly, I suppose the height restrictions in the Vista will just be thrown out the window if this project is approved. Fourthly, if (a big "if," IMO) this project goes up, it would be a really weird spot for the two second-tallest buildings in the city to be built and wouldn't be captured in typical skyline shots.

Students have flooded onto Bluff and Shop roads where lots of apartments have been built, and those are doing well. Why not bring the students back up to where they can walk to class? I don't know if that part of the Vista has height restrictions. The new director of Innovista says in The State that two developers are combining financing and that, while they haven't checked references yet, his gut feeling is they are for real because, while condo development and the general housing market has suffered throughout the nation, many developers have been able to get financing for apartments in college and university towns. We'll see. According to the attached article from Columbia Regional Business Report's website, the developer has been looking at the site for almost a year.

http://www.columbiabusinessreport.com/news/33610-huge-apartment-retail-project-proposed-for-vista?rss=0

I agree 100%. I think the concept is horrendous. The design is bland as can be, but the big problem is that the scale is ENTIRELY freaking incongruous with the surrounding context. If this gets past the DDRC as is, I'll be completely disheartened.

I don't think the design can be fully judged at this point since there are no details concerning exterior materials, etc., but I do agree with you that this development would definitely be out of place at this location. You've got the lowrise buildings in the vicinity, plus the Darla Moore School of Business to be built on an adjacent parcel, and right across from the Greek Village. If the project doesn't get scrapped entirely, the height needs to be drastically reduced.

Senate Plaza, Cornell Arms and Finlay House probably got some flack before they went up. Historically, Columbia has never been afraid go up until they set height restrictions in the Vista, and I don't think the Vista's historic district includes that parcel. Something tells me DDRC will find it to be a hard opportunity to pass up, height and all.

i just seen that on FOX Charlotte. and i was like OMG. that towers looks great it will be huge in Columbia and the tallest in the city. this is what the city really needed. i need to update my city website now on this

They would be 2nd tallest in the city, GU15, Capitol Center would still be the tallest. I'd rather see something of this height in a different location so that it would have an impact on the skyline. As far as comparing this to Adesso and the condos around WB, this would be an apartment complex instead of condos and target the student market, which is substantial. I'm sure students would love the same amenities from the complexes off Bluff Road in a spot where they can walk to the Vista, class, basketball and baseball games.

When I was at Carolina I tried to get into Senate Plaza on Senate Street... The waiting list was forever, and no guarantees. Cornell Arms is the same (though easier to get into). Any high rise within walking distance to campus is essentially guaranteed money.

My prediction: They'll halve it.

That would be a better scenario. Two midrises of 14 stories each is more manageable at that location, IMO.

If this project does get built, Columbia would have really racked up a good amount of additions to the skyline within the span of a few years.

I drove home on Blossom Street from my job in Springdale yesterday just to imagine what the tower(s) as proposed would look like on the skyline. It actually would create balance once you hit the Blossom Street bridge, but Cayce could forget their dream of getting out from under Columbia's shadow, judging by how far back on Knox Abbott you would see the tower - like where the big turn in the road is by Love Chevrolet.

I'm am generally in favor of anything that will remove a parking lot in favor of a building, so regardless of what gets built, it will be a step forward. We don't really have enough details about the design, and it usually changes as it goes through CDC review anyway. I do worry, however, that the blandness of Adesso sets a bad precedent for future development. I really don't want Innovista to become a stucco-only environment, or even that beige brick thing they've been using on campus. Beige is a crappy dominant color.

As for predictions regarding height, I agree that they will likely have to shorten it, and do several towers in stead. They could easily fit 3 or 4 medium sized towers on that site and still fit in with the Innovista Plan- and probably achieve greater densities overall.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see this in Columbia; however, I would rather see it in over on Bull Street. I'll take it where I can get it, though!

I rather see bull street. get Multiple Towers in the center of the Project area. that would look cool to expand the Skyline. But, thats Another Topic on another forum page.

Kind of like the Pavilion off of Huger Street?? When were those built and haven't they always done well?

I'm am generally in favor of anything that will remove a parking lot in favor of a building, so regardless of what gets built, it will be a step forward. We don't really have enough details about the design, and it usually changes as it goes through CDC review anyway. I do worry, however, that the blandness of Adesso sets a bad precedent for future development. I really don't want Innovista to become a stucco-only environment, or even that beige brick thing they've been using on campus. Beige is a crappy dominant color.

As for predictions regarding height, I agree that they will likely have to shorten it, and do several towers in stead. They could easily fit 3 or 4 medium sized towers on that site and still fit in with the Innovista Plan- and probably achieve greater densities overall.

Kind of like the Pavilion off of Huger Street?? When were those built and haven't they always done well?

The Pavilion had all kinds of problems. Mostly with constuction materials (stucco, water lines, etc) used but it helped to sink several companies and has changed hands several times. I went to the groundbreaking when i was in sixth grade so they where built around 1989.

The Pavillions are kinda Run down. i mean they look nice next to the interstate but they dont WOW the Skyline. i think that Idea of The 28 Story tower being Cut down to maybe 3-4 Mid-size Towers would be nice. kinda like the pavillion but with more Exciting Entertainment to it. and Maybe much taller. maybe a 20 story, 18 story 16 story and a 14 Story. surrounding Each other. in a Circle.

The Pavillions are kinda Run down. i mean they look nice next to the interstate but they dont WOW the Skyline. i think that Idea of The 28 Story tower being Cut down to maybe 3-4 Mid-size Towers would be nice. kinda like the pavillion but with more Exciting Entertainment to it. and Maybe much taller. maybe a 20 story, 18 story 16 story and a 14 Story. surrounding Each other. in a Circle.

While the Pavilion still isn't flashy, take another look since their recent $4 million renovation.

Archived