Does anybody knows whats going with park street (Mayor Plaza)?

GreenTea

Hello. I'm new shades.gif

Everyday I take the bus from New Britain and always pass by Park Street and I am very annoyed to see this clear land! Are there any plans to turned this clear space into something???

I wish they had built the two towers, but also would of been a nice addition to the skyline...thanks to those idiots that when against it rolleyes.gif

HC%20Park-Main_towers.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sadly it's dead.

look through the first few pages and you will surely find its topic.

reading old threads is always entertaining especially concidering how the prospects of hartford has risen and fallen with the econemy and this recession.

its a great site, so I am sure something will happen there some day.... but 20+ years in and Main/Asylum is still vacant, so what do I know?

yeah they are way out of porportion in that sketch.

but, really, who knows.

Hartford loves to kill projects with healthy density. front street and Plaza Mayor are just two of the most recent and obvious ones.

looking further back in the 1990 boom, the city slowed down all those big towers (after demo but before construction) to see if we really needed so much office space... so dumb. if it was before demolition I could inderstand it. I mean we could have at least ended up with one of our parking lots developed these last 25 years if they didnt slam the brakes on.

It was a great concept for an area in need of development. Too bad the project was given to a developer who was the friend of Eddie Perez and in no way had the ability to pull this off.

I never bought the "towers are too tall" argument. That was just people complaining for the sake of complaining. Travelers Tower and the Gold Building are a couple blocks away and the Hudson medical building and Hartford Hospital are in the same neighborhood. They would have been fine.

• 10 months later...

Urban Farm going in at this site.

It is not permanent and will be scrapped if a developer comes along, but to keep the lot "useful" and a positive they are turning it to the urban farm.

That's a great temporary solution. At least it isnt another parking lot. I would love to have seen these towers built though.

Archived