Midtowne Heights, Gallery Hill, etc

hub-city

According to the HJ, Integral Solutions is moving to downtown Sptbg. They are a division of Smith Corp. (as is Qs1) and are going to renovate an old Smith drug on Wofford/Thompson Street. Although I can't picture the site, I believe it is right outside of the CBD and would help axpand that area and help in revitalization efforts. Not a highrise, but 70,000 sq. feet and 80 jobs never hurts.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the HJ, Integral Solutions is moving to downtown Sptbg.  They are a division of Smith Corp. (as is Qs1) and are going to renovate an old Smith drug on Wofford/Thompson Street.  Although I can't picture the site, I believe it is right outside of the CBD and would help axpand that area and help in revitalization efforts.  Not a highrise, but 70,000 sq. feet and 80 jobs never hurts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From downtown take West St. John Street and bear right on Wofford Street. Follow Wofford Street until the first stoplight. Its the red brick warehouse / office structure at the NW corner.

This location is pretty marginal right now but this news will certainly help accelerate development in the area. I've always felt that the area west and above Wakefield Buick is an excellent site for an urban residential community. That side offers a nice view of downtown.

This is good news. That area is in dire need of some help.

It is also the focus of the Thompson Street redevelopment project. The city is buying up the dilapitated houses and tearing them down. They will eventually remove about 60 houses and put back 80-100, as well as rennovating some 150 more. This has been going on for several years, and I dont know how far along it is.

The article also said this area will now be called 'Midtown Heights' which leads me to conclude the City has large goals for this area. (Well, that and the fact they they said this will 'expand downtown') Don't you think?

I agree with you, RS. I would like to see a mid-rise residential structure or two on that hill that offers a great view :) They have to get West Main and the areas around it cleaned up a little first.

I have always thought that this area would be the logical next step for our renaissance and urban development. I'm sure you have noticed that big empty lot next to the railroad... I could see some sort of signature building going there :D

Always link to the article if you are the first to mention it.

• 4 years later...

I found some site plans to several SHA redevelopment projects online. Not unlike the housing they have built off of Crescent Ave, these will also be higher quality and less "project-like." The Midtowne plan is particularly exciting. I thought they were just tearing down and replacing a few houses. This site plan shows the greater scope of the project, and what they intend to build. This should be a dramatic improvement for that area.

Midtowne Heights

midtowne_siteplan.jpg

Gallery Hill

galleryhill_siteplan.jpg

I found all of this on the SHA website. I have no idea how their current budgetary problems are impacting these projects, but hopefully they will be able to move forward eventually.

Archived