Richmond Cartoons

calwinston

I found out about Chris OBrion one day while reading "Buttermilk and Molasses" (a blog about Richmond since 2002). http://floricane.typepad.com/

Since that day I have been laughing at his cartoons about Richmond and Virginia politics, daily business, and how we come together when it is too late and the oppourtunity has passed us by.

I plan on posting this every week here at Urban Planet so others can laugh at are daily non progress. Here are just a few of my favorite past cartoons. Some of them were posted a couple of years ago and we are still dealing with the same problems.dontknow.gif

http://www.chrisobrion.com/index.html

http://rvanews.com/author/ChrisOBrion

choochoo-large.png

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another one from Gary Brookins. Virginia's budget shortfall has been fixed by the way. Unfortunately the General Assembly thought it would be wise to borrow 2 billion from the retirement fund.

20081123_brookins_ugly.jpg

brookins112008.jpg

09252008.jpg

The cartoon below is about the controversy over people having Richmond addresses but living in Henrico County(revenue from taxes going to Richmond instead of the counties). By the way it changed to Henrico. Also Chesterfield County is going through the same situtation. Shouldn't they have thought of this during the 1960's and 70's when they were being annexed by the city?!

05092008.jpg

Another cartoon from Chris O Brion about Virginia's transportation problem.

0820_drivers_750x553.gif

This cartoon is about mainly students and the residents of Blacksburg who have to dodge traffic to cross the road. This can be saiid about many parts of Virginia.

0308_crosswalk_750x563.gif

When Sen John Warner was retiring from the US Senate, Sen Mark Warner(no relation) then Governor ran for the senate seat and won.

0914_warner_750x554.gif

This can be said about all cities that are closing or cutting back hours at libraries! Libraries are one of the most importnant resources the public has besides schools. Knowledge is the key to unlock many opportunities in all of our lives.

0310_newlibrary_750x554.jpg

In the past months since AG Cucinelli aka "Cucci" and Governor McDonnell aka "Ronald McDonald" took office many things are progressing. But unfortunately these two always find someway to screw it up! Gay Rights, Confederate Declaration, suing the federal government on global warming issues(saying it is not true) and the latest one where AG Cucinelli wants to cover the exposed breast on the state seal. Sorry but that has been there since the states existence so why change it now. I remember when under President George Bush, AG John Ashcoft covered the nude statue behind his podium in the press room. A little outrageous if you ask me! Well here is the cartoon. Enloy!

050610_cuccinelli_750x554.gif

"You are very Richmond if......" is back!

After nine years of waiting the Style Weekly tradition has come back

Nine years ago, to the delight of some and the disappointment of many, Style Weekly did a very un-Richmond like thing: We put an end to an annual tradition.

Since 1985, our “You Are Very Richmond If…” contest offered readers the chance to pinpoint the curiosities, contradictions, intense pride and neurotic self-consciousness of the born-heres and come-heres living in this unique Southern city.

For the next 17 years, the issue tapped into what it meant to understand the idiosyncrasies and inside jokes of this place and its people. The humor ranged from self-deprecating to touching, but it always made a statement.

Even entries about the contest itself reflected Richmond’s, uh, issues with change. You could be Very Richmond … if you waited 17 years to actually submit an entry, as Tom Benedetti penned, or … if you send in an entry next year, as Bill Ernst wrote in our farewell issue of the contest. Procrastinators and habitualists both are we.

We decided to check in with you again — just one more time — to mark the 25th anniversary of this contest’s beginnings. To see what memories would be triggered, what new points of view may have formed since we last left things. Hundreds of entries were submitted. And if you are Very Richmond, you’ll quickly realize that perhaps little has changed about the way we see ourselves. And of course, isn’t that what can be the most frustrating — and comfortable — thing about living here?

But seriously, people, this is it. — Jason Roop

Here it is! Enjoy!shades.gif

http://www.styleweekly.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=94C6D08F17454F43BAD95E6174D03FE8&AudID=AE6FBAD9A9574D429566425E856C8C66

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like many people in Virgina are having second thoughts about drilling off the coast of Virginia Beach!dontknow.gif Gov McDonnell wanted to drill off the coast of Virginia and use the royalties to fund transportation. Well that is not going so well hence what is happening on the Gulf Coast. Maybe he should resign like the PM Yukio Hotonama of Japan. The PM of Japan did not keep a campaign promise about moving military bases of the island of Okinawa. So he resigned!

Here is what was going on last year!

April 2, 2009

0402_mcdonnelloil_750x556.jpg

Wow look at what one year can do!

May 27, 2010

060210_drilling_750x554.gif

Here are a couple from Gary Brookinsthumbsup.gif

Virginia politicians not caring about the enviroment

timerunningout.jpg

President Obama

brookins.jpg

Thought I should post this one since Philip Morris is headquartered in Richmond, VA, plus so much of our history is tied to tobacco and tobacco is Virginia's cash crop

graphic-1.gif

Michael Vick what more can you say?

vicktoon.jpg

an here is a little political humor to end it all (spoof on Monty Python and the Holy Grail, one of my favorite movies ever!)laugh.gif

2284329446_57e88aa817.jpg

"Rejected Richmond Baseball Names"

baseballnames.jpg

All of these are so true about Richmond!hysterical.gif

Hey we ended up with the "Flying Squirrels"! I wonder if the actual flying squirrels are offended by headlines like "Thunder throttles Squirrels"!

"Baseball in Richmond"

baseballcomic-large.jpg

Now we have a baseball team! No excuses this time for building a new stadium!

Archived