GRid70

mgreven

Another great idea showing off our business leaders who seem to be constantly trying to do things to build the Grand Rapids Economy. I like how Meijer talks about the benefit of his employees being downtown. To have Amway, Wolverine WW, Steelcase and Meijer all moving some employees downtown is super!

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2010/04/new_grid70_to_combine_creative.html

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. This is fantastic and I love the collaborative design. It would be great to see other companies join in.

Joe

Another great idea showing off our business leaders who seem to be constantly trying to do things to build the Grand Rapids Economy. I like how Meijer talks about the benefit of his employees being downtown. To have Amway, Wolverine WW, Steelcase and Meijer all moving some employees downtown is super!

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2010/04/new_grid70_to_combine_creative.html

Does IIT compete with Kendall?

From what I understand, no. It's not so much a Masters Degree in any kind of "design" discipline, but a Masters in Business that uses design at its core. It looks at how design works with business processes and systems; gets business students to open up their thinking more.

I know what you mean. Its really cool to be ahead of the curve like when someone mentions something about a new construction project and I can go "oh yeah, I saw the proposal and sketches for that awhile ago. Did you also know they're planning such and such?" I've noticed it really gets people interested in the city when they can talk with someone who knows slightly more about a project then they or WoodTV8 knows. It brings out the curiosity in people.

Sorry to sidetrack. Your comment just reminded me of why I lurk this site so much.

Not just us reporting on things going on in GR before others hear about it, but actually "causing" things to happen. We've been talking about a design hub for downtown Grand Rapids for years now, bringing together all the major employers into a skunkworks type of environment. I even proposed it for the old Keeler Building on North Division about 2 or 3 years ago. The thread is still around. Others talked about doing something like that for Market and Fulton, involving Amway and other big companies. There was also a proposal someone brought forth on here to build a furniture design expo center in downtown Grand Rapids, along very similar lines.

The projects are way too similar to what is discussed here to be merely "coincidence."

Does IIT compete with Kendall?

Kendall does have an "MBA Certificate in Design and Innovation Mgmt" program that strikes me as similar, but it's not a degree. I think the idea is you would work on the certificate in conjunction with an MBA from Ferris. IIT offers this concept as its own distinguished Masters program in Chicago already, and will be offering it here.

The projects are way too similar to what is discussed here to be merely "coincidence."

I know what you mean. Awhile ago on the zoo thread I put forth the proposition that people expected their zoos to contain near-extinct large mammals because that's what you find in the animal cracker box. I suggested that it would be less expensive and better all around if expectations were changed by replacing those cookies with more reasonable animals like raccoons. Well what do you know, Meijer now sells Meijer brand Woodsey Wildlife Animal Cookies which consists of just the kind of animals I recommended. The box says they're "all natural" too.

Some would say coincidence. I would say that key people at Meijer are reading UrbanPlanet and are lifting our ideas.

• 1 year later...

GRid70 has been so successful, they are expanding into 64 Ionia next door (Amway has already taken over one floor in 64 apparently and the GRid70 team has purchased the building) and Rockford is looking at turning 35 Oakes into a similar concept. On this week's DDA agenda:

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/download_upload/meeting/packets/646d1977085b5a6d50d94021e33ad173.pdf

• 1 year later...

Has anyone seen updated plans for GRid70?

In addition to the the small addition at 70 Ionia, construction is actively happening at 64 Ionia and 35 Oakes. What intrigues me is the way they've cleaned the brick on the "back" of the building (small empty lot of Commerce). They didn't clean the entire wall, which makes me wonder if they are planning some sort of addition to a portion of the building.

Curious what the plans are.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Yowza, that seems a bit harsh...

Just from walking by the building (and trying to take a peak without getting hit by traffic) that they are putting in some kind of foundation. I can't tell if it is just a new stairway (would seem like a pretty BIG stairway) or if they are adding on to the building. I did hear that the work is so tight that they really have to navigate carefully as it has been shaking the Procare building around a bit. They put a temporary covered walkway in for Procare but need to rip it out to do the rest of "whatever" they are doing.

It is also interesting that Ritz-Coney is moving. I wonder if GRid70 has plans for the space and wanted them out, or if it is just good timing. Seems like that building (also part of GRid70) is coming along nicely.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

They put a crane up at the corner of Oakes/Commerce today. Looks like a foundation is complete (as part of the Heartside manor redo). Anyone figure out WHAT they are erecting?

Joe

It's probably an elevator/stair tower? Or maybe adding a glass atrium feature facing Commerce?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived